Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
understood.
It's not unlike basic flight planning.

Lots or riders ask, "How long does it take to ride to Ushuaia?"

I say, "2 months, if you hustle."
Dave says, "About a year, if you hustle."
Vince says, "About two years, if you hustle."

Lots of riders ask, "I have a month free. Can I ride to Panama? Can I ride to Machu Picchu? Can I ride to Ushuaia?"

I say, "You can ride to Panama but you'll want to fly home."
I say, "You can ride to Machu Piccy, if you start in Bogota or Cali or Medellin or Quito or maybe even Cartegena but preferably Lima or Santiago and maybe Buenos Aires but certainly not Ushuaia unless you really want to hustle."
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #17
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #18
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
That is all well and good. I, however, have found a constant: you can't ride anywhere in Panama (this October) for more than three to four hours at a time without getting pounded by rain. So, the coefficient of perceived misery on said butt-time is increased at random intervals.

You can, however get free wifi and good flan at the TGI Friday's in David. shoot me, but I just couldn't take any more fried chicken and lentils.

And apparently you can't ride from Boquete to Bocas del Toro.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #19
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
this is such a great thread, just butt time can take you many places, and what you do with it is all you

damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #20
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,977
Raoul Duke just did a Nebraska - Mexico - Guatemala - Nebraska trip in about 30 days IIRC. That boy was really making some miles though. Maybe he will chime in here, but I think he averaged around 250 miles a day for the whole trip. That included rest days.

I cant imagine anyone doing the same trip any quicker and actually enjoying themselves.

He did see a lot of stuff and had some good adventures. But I think he did one day of almost 1000 miles in Mexico and on a DR 650 to boot. An iron butt in the US and on a 1200 cc touring bike is childs play in comparison.

You gotta make the most of the time you have and he sure did that I reckon.

crashmaster screwed with this post 10-28-2009 at 09:50 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #21
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,343
I work approx 48 weeks a year at 5 days a week. Thats 240 days a year and I sit on my butt about 6 hours a day so thats 1440 hours a year.

I've been working about 35 years so thats 50,400 hours sitting on my ass.

Now that my butt has some serious experience I'm retiring and plan to spend considerable butt time on my motorcycle
Old 11-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #22
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli
...when I start my South American trip in a couple of years, I'll be flying my bike to Colombia and starting out there. I'll be able to fly my bike down there much cheaper than riding it. Plus the time saved and the wear and tear on the bike saved and it's pretty much a no brainer.

When you reach Panama, you've still got to fly/ship your bike to Colombia anyway.

So, using Bananaman math, my butt will be in much better shape if I fly the bike to Colombia rather than ride it.
The more I read this, the more sense it makes. I mean if what one really wants to see is SA...bite the shipping bullet and save the butt time for something else. I love OR and California, but don't enjoy riding through it much just to get to Mexico. I love Mexico and C. America, but wouldn't want to just ride through it to get to S.America.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #23
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse
The more I read this, the more sense it makes. I mean if what one really wants to see is SA...bite the shipping bullet and save the butt time for something else. I love OR and California, but don't enjoy riding through it much just to get to Mexico. I love Mexico and C. America, but wouldn't want to just ride through it to get to S.America.

Well here is what I can tell you right now given the way I am doing this trip and how many miles I am making even when I try to make big miles in a day..

I'm in the southern part of Mexico on a big KTM. I wish i had my DRZ. In central america, I'm positive I will wish I had my DRZ. In SA I dont know, but if I were a bettin man, I would say I still wish that I had a 400-500 cc dirt bike.

YMMV and I'm a dirt bike guy since I've been a kid. If I could get rid of this pig and have a smaller bike right now I would be inclined to do it. Hopefully once I do get to SA, I will be very happy that I have the big bike.

I think even a DR 650 is too much bike for the this trip and the KLR which so many folks love, doesnt even come close to t off road capability of the DR 650, IMO , which my opinion aint worth anything really.

Unless you are a glutton for punishment, you're not going to do much more than 300 miles a day, and that's if youre on the pavement! I can do a 300 miles of not so nice dirt in a day, or I can do 300 miles of pavement in a day. You will wish you had the small bike and stayed off the pavement.

I have been regretting my choice of a big bike every day of this trip so far. As a matter of fact, I am very inclined to ride this pig home in five days, then bring a real bike across the border. I just might do it if I have enough to drink tonight. We shall see.........

In the mean time I think I'll have another cocktail and stop drunk interneting. .

crashmaster screwed with this post 11-29-2009 at 01:53 AM
Old 11-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #24
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
I have been regretting my choice of a big bike every day of this trip so far. As a matter of fact, I am very inclined to ride this pig home in five days, then bring a real bike across the border. I just might do it if I have enough to drink tonight. We shall see.........
Haha! Can I buy you drink? That would border craziness to see you start this trip a third time!

But I would agree with your assessment. My KLR loaded down--and I didn't have all that much--did not feel very nimble on the little dirt I got to do in Baja.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:40 AM   #25
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
Crashy,

That's smart. You've got lots of discretionary time. I'd get the smaller bike and ditch the pig. 650cc d/p max would be my suggestion, though I do my riding down there on a 250cc.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #26
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 785
Quote:
I'm in the southern part of Mexico on a big KTM. I wish i had my DRZ. In central america, I'm positive I will wish I had my DRZ. In SA I dont know, but if I were a bettin man, I would say I still wish that I had a 400-500 cc dirt bike.
+1!
I've set up my DRZ for traveling and will use it on my rtw trip next year. I'm sure there will be parts where I'm hating it, but I have the time.. so f'it. Plus, my nearly new DRZ cost $3600. You can do alot of farkling to add up to the cost of even a liter+ bike!

The only part of the Ushuaia trip where the DRZ would suck is Argentina IFF you take Ruta 3, aka the fast non-scenic way. If you take the normal way south (Ruta 40 and carratera austral), then DRZ would be great.

I know my CA average speed was way less than 35mph, especially if you consider all the traffic/construction/rain delays/stops. But then again, I was traveling in rainy season. If you did it at a better time, you'd be able to get more butt time. I'd ride for 4-5 hours taking minimal breaks in the AM and fnd a place to sleep by 2pm.... otherwise fight urban flooding with open sewers

I did some supernasty water crossings in towns in Guatemala and Nicaragua.

I think 35 mph is a good average if you're going to be riding pretty hardcore and making up for slower times in CA in Mexico taking cuotas at 85mph. One of my crazy friends rode from the Texas border to Guatemala (antigua) in 2 days. He was fucking flying on his 1150gs probably averaging 110+ on the cuotas and 60s in the twisties of chiapas. How he's not dead...
Old 11-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #27
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg
One of my crazy friends rode from the Texas border to Guatemala (antigua) in 2 days. He was fucking flying on his 1150gs probably averaging 110+ on the cuotas and 60s in the twisties of chiapas. How he's not dead...
This was not me, but I wish it was!
Old 11-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #28
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg
One of my crazy friends rode from the Texas border to Guatemala (antigua) in 2 days. He was fucking flying on his 1150gs probably averaging 110+ on the cuotas and 60s in the twisties of chiapas. How he's not dead...
Wow. Although the cuotas are pretty safe, but still. I hear you though, he had someone or something looking out for him on those 2 days, no doubt about it. Its probably a stunt that you could get away with once, maybe twice if you were very lucky.

Anyway not to hijack this thread too far off course, I am considering turning my trip into a RTW gig and if that does happen, I will probably ship the Katoom home and go with my DRZ instead after I put a fresh top end on it. The big Katoom is a capable and reliable bike, I just think its too much bike in the long run for the riding I like to do.

Dont worry bananaman, I am keeping track of GPS butt time on this trip.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #29
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,352
Some people go to the smorgasbord and take forever in line. They need to try everything. Me? I go straight to the reindeer meatballs, and I jump ahead with barely an Excuse Me.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #30
alphajory
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
hey crash

glad to see that you are keeping up the pace to many miles could ruin your adventure. I like the room on the beach as i look out at the snow. There 's 5 ft in the mountains and the bike is parked. After the week at PV and in order to miss the really shitty weather i had to hustle back to northern Canada 4.5 days from PV to home. The 990 can do serious miles when you need to 5500km 4.5 days.
alphajory is offline   Reply With Quote