User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
Voltaire OP
Bored Of The Rings

Oddometer: 1,655
Question Three Weeks In the US

My wife and I are pondering over a trip ( two up) to the US for 3 weeks next year.
I know its not long but its about as long as I can get off work, maybe 4 at a push.
Probably look at hiring a bike unless someone wants to lend me one and they can come over to NZ and use my R80ST.
I only ride about 300-500 kms a day and do not want to ride on interstates.
Not really interested in cities that much or Route 66 either.
Quite like wine and beer though..
Any thoughts?

john
Saigon to Hanoi two up on a Honda 150
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1009571&page=2
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 8,003
Neat idea.

What part of the US would you be wanting to visit? West Coast (California)? Pacific Northwest (Oregon-Washington)? Southwest (Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada)? Rockies? (Colorado, Montana, Wyoming)? Southeast? Midwest? Northeast? What season?

Lots of choices. no?

What kind of bike? BMW? Harley? Goldwing (UJM)? Rentals (hiring) may be tricky and expensive, but others may have better ideas than I.

Of course, a Ride Report will be required.

--Bill
Old 05-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #3
therealbatman
"Godfather"

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
My wife and I are pondering over a trip ( two up) to the US for 3 weeks next year.....

Quite like wine and beer though..
Any thoughts?

john
Northern Michigan is home to several amazing wineries and micro breweries. Well worth the time to stop up here.
If you do, drop me a line.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #4
Gian4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Hi Voltaire
Upstate NY (yes there is life beyond NY city) has some great roads and scenery. Winter comes early so by late Oct. you run the risk of some snow. I would be more then willing to host and show you the sites. Let me know.
Gian4
Gian4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #5
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
The possibilities are endless, though what time of year you'd be here makes choosing the area important; you wouldn't want to be in our southeast in August, or the north in late Autumn. The US is a huge land mass, but you could see quite a bit of it in three weeks.

An acquaintance and sometime customer of mine owns Moto Vermont www.motovermont.com He rents BMWs, and understands us, because he's one of us. I don't think he has any Airheads, though.
bmwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #6
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,991
No idea where to get a good beer!
What you save on airfares, spend on piss.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #7
SculptD
Smells like tech

Oddometer: 513
Beer, wine,,yeah, California sucks for that because it takes water to make both.

You would probably fly into LAX or SFO, and you could find friends, rental bikes, and good riding in either one, I think. Keep us posted.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:05 PM   #8
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
3 weeks is the break even point for shipping your own bike . 4 weeks take your own.. You got enough of the buggers , you wont miss one for a while

The insurance through rental companies is spendy.
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:14 PM   #9
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer: 786
What SculptD said. Redwood Forest, beaches, Pacific Coast Highway, sierras, deserts, and a plethora o' quality breweries, wineries (and some damn good cheese makers, too). The weather, usually good, sometimes too something (hot, icy, etc.), all depends on when.

And there's always Baja California, Mexico

Would love to meet you if you swing through my area east of Los Angeles. Have a great trip, wherever you go.

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM   #10
deafanddiabetic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
My 2 cents:

My band travels all over and we did a west coast to east coast U.S. tour (that's about 3000 miles) and we did it in two weeks, played a show every night but had to drive 6 to 8 hours every day to reach our destinations. Honestly, most of our time was spent in the car, not a lot of time for scenery or tourism. Between sleeping, traveling, and occasionally staying up all night to play a show and party, it left very little time to "enjoy" the country.

3 weeks would probably be plenty to make it coast-to-coast if that's what you'd like to do but in my opinion it would be grueling, tiring and really not a ton of fun to drive 6-8 hours every day, especially on a motorbike then expect to have the energy or mental drive to explore and enjoy what our varied country as to offer.

There may be a smaller section of the states or a better use of your time if you want to have some drinks, see some sites and still put in a lot of miles while you're here. Do the south, bum around the northeast, go play in California exuberance for a week then move up to the beatniks in the Pacific Northwest.

Endless possibilities, but if I was on vacation to a new place the last thing I'd want to do is only see it from on top of two wheels all day and not get my feet on the ground.
deafanddiabetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM   #11
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 8,003
The US is a diverse place; there is a little here for everybody.

Think about what you woudl like to see, and whether you'd prefer something to compliemt or contrast what you like about Australia.

One good vacation (Holiday) method is to pick a direction and go. Don't try to set distance or destination goals every day, just go and see the sights and stop whenever and wherever (if your discipline will allow that). After you decide what you want to see and what region you will be in, most areas have "guidebooks" of various flavours which can give your wanderings some direction. Me, I'd like something on the geomorphological tectonics of the Basin and Range Province as it relates to the Sierra Nevada batholith, but that's just my quirk.

--Bill
Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM   #12
ccmickelson
MonoMania

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
The US is a diverse place; there is a little here for everybody.

Think about what you woudl like to see, and whether you'd prefer something to compliemt or contrast what you like about Australia.

One good vacation (Holiday) method is to pick a direction and go. Don't try to set distance or destination goals every day, just go and see the sights and stop whenever and wherever (if your discipline will allow that).

--Bill
I totally agree. Choose your region and then let serendipity work it's magic.
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM   #13
Mikeyork5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
So - first of all where do you want to start out? East Coast? West Coast? South? North? If it were me - and I'm a little be prejudiced as I live in Calif., I'd start in either San Francisco or LA. If you start in LA, and using your 3 weeks as a time frame and avoiding freeways, I recommend - from LA -
1. Ride up Hwy 1 from LA to Monterey - the stretch between San Simenon and Big Sur is arguably one of the most beautiful rides in the world.
2. Yosemite National Park
3. Lake Tahoe
4. Zion National Park Utah
5. Bryce Canyon National Park Utah
6. Grand Teton National Park Wyoming
7. Yellowstone National Park
8. Sturguis, South Dakota - to say you've been there
9. Mr. Rushmore National Monument, South Dakota
10. Then head over to Oregon and ride the coast back down to LA or San Fran.

I'm doing a somewhat similar trip this summer with the wife over three weeks. Have fun -
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM   #14
Renner
rockin' the toaster

Oddometer: 2,258
+1 ^
start in San Diego and I may have a bike to loan when you two arrive.

I've been the recipient of Kiwi generosity and wouild like to reciprocate.

Do I need to mention there are 100+ craft microbreweries in this area?
From the coast to the mountains in one hour, desert two hours.

And the west coast of North America is almost as nice as NZ.

Seriously, Yosemite and Sequoia NP shouldn't be missed.

Renner screwed with this post Yesterday at 11:16 AM
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM   #15
Jim K in PA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
John - as above, with a few added comments.

1 - if you are going to be on the east coast, I am 90 miles west of NYC and 90 miles north of Philadelphia. PM me for contact info. You and the Missus are welcome to park here for a visit.

2 - Rental bikes - I have not looked into this, but it may or may not be convenient depending on whether or not your starting and ending point are the same. It costs more for car rental 1-way, and I imagine it will also cost more for a bike, assuming you can.

3 - Borrowing bikes - same as #2, with the added complexity of insurance and such.

4 - Perhaps purchase a bike and then sell when done with the trip? Not convenient for a 3 week whirlwind tour of another country, but something to consider.

Sounds like a great trip!

Jim
Viktor - Coming to a thread near you - eventually
Jim K in PA is offline   Reply With Quote