User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM   #1
Magicdragon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
'88 R100RS front tire size?

I recently bought a 1988 R100RS. The tires are ancient and need replacement. The front is a 100/90 whereas the original was a 90/90. Generally speaking with motorcycles, the size specified by the manufacturer works best so I'm inclined to go back to a 90/90. Does anyone want to chime in on why a 100/90 would be better?

Steve
Magicdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM   #2
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
My old riding buddy rode a monolever bike for years. He said that the 100/90 made the bike less "nervous".
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM   #3
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,279
IME- 90/90 is too small in terms of both riding comfort- pitched me forward enough to notice, and handling-fell too easily into turns.
This was paired with a 110 rear.

YMMV,etc.
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM   #4
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,002
Monolevers are not 'nervous' with their original sized tires. 110's on the back? They are suppose to have 120/90's on the back and a 90/90 up front. They handle great like that. A lot of people do run bigger than stock tires on the front of twin shocks as well as Monolevers. It does slow their handing considerably. Usually it's the same crowd that berates people for running larger than stock tires in the back that run larger than stock tires in front. Most admit they do it because a 90/90 'looks' too small. They usually go on about how running a bigger tire in back is harder to get on and off and slows handling down. On a twin shock running a 120 in the back versus a 110 doesn't slow the handling down nearly as much as running a 100 up front versus a 90/90. Monolevers and twin shock models alike handle best with 90/90's up front versus 100's. Twin shocks handle best with 110's in back. Monolevers came with 120's in back. I have never run a 110 in the back on one for comparison.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:13 AM   #5
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,324
I find the 90/90 turns in quick, but pushes and runs wide, the 100/90 cures that...for me. Sure, it will be slow and heavy if you use narrow bars, my bars are pretty wide, and never notice bigger front tyres...only smaller ones.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:54 AM   #6
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Monolevers are not 'nervous' with their original sized tires. 110's on the back? They are suppose to have 120/90's on the back and a 90/90 up front. They handle great like that. A lot of people do run bigger than stock tires on the front of twin shocks as well as Monolevers. It does slow their handing considerably. Usually it's the same crowd that berates people for running larger than stock tires in the back that run larger than stock tires in front. Most admit they do it because a 90/90 'looks' too small. They usually go on about how running a bigger tire in back is harder to get on and off and slows handling down. On a twin shock running a 120 in the back versus a 110 doesn't slow the handling down nearly as much as running a 100 up front versus a 90/90. Monolevers and twin shock models alike handle best with 90/90's up front versus 100's. Twin shocks handle best with 110's in back. Monolevers came with 120's in back. I have never run a 110 in the back on one for comparison.
I doesn't matter man, you'll never win this war.

Those who worry about what it looks like will never need it. Those who need it don't care what it looks like.
Old Today, 09:27 AM   #7
Magicdragon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to stick with the factory recommendation on this.
Magicdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:47 AM   #8
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
I doesn't matter man, you'll never win this war.

Those who worry about what it looks like will never need it. Those who need it don't care what it looks like.
You can make sense about once a blue moon but even a broken clock can tell the correct time twice a day.

From what I can tell, the big disadvantage of bigger front tires is their weight. Their extra weight negatively offsets any advantage a larger contact patch might have. The extra weight slows down the forks responsiveness. It feels to me about the same as stiction and has about the exact same negative side effects. Namely chatter and wobbles.

supershaft screwed with this post Today at 10:45 AM
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote