I DONT NEED NO STINKIN TOOLS ! 4 9.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
patrkbukly OP
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 700
NO Tool Tray

Just a question;

Does anyone run without their tool tray.

I ask because I have the better larger tool-roll now which includes my shorty socket wrench and main size sockets as well as a few other tools I have over the years become to prefer having with me for repairs. It looks similar to this;

I used to keep my OEM toolroll then an additional zipperpouch in my rear pannier.

It does fit in the tool tray but then sticks up far too high to fasten the seat down however with the tool tray removed it lays perfectly on the battery and is bulky enough that it wont really move side to side and certainly not up and down.

It sitting on the battery however always makes me a little uneasy even though my battery has the plastic covers over the terminals and there is no metal exposed anywhere from the toolroll.

1993 GSPD by the way.

patrkbukly screwed with this post 08-31-2014 at 09:41 AM
patrkbukly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Screaming Chicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
You could possibly tie it to the left side of the subframe, both to keep it in place and away from the terminals.
In the land of Bavaria, where the boxers ride...
(Gandalf the oil-stained)
Screaming Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,914
Your tool roll looks to be more than sufficiently insulated. I wouldn't worry too much.
Now, show us inside the tool roll! We want to see tools!
Old 08-31-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
extheflow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
secure a rubber mat over the entire top of the battery for piece of mind perhaps.

+1 for tool display, I'm putting together a kit for travel and would love to see what other people are hauling.
extheflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,280
I have two tool rolls. My kit includes all the standard wrenches although some of them are not Heyco most are. I have extra stuff and duplicates of some. Like the 6 mm hex key, I have two. I carry a 1/4" ratchet and several sockets, not too many. I have a small flat file. A test light. Some nuts and bolts. Some wire ties. A pair of wire cutters and a pair of small needle nose pliers. I have a multi purpose screwdriver with 4 tips.

I carry the KD tool for chasing spark plug threads. A BMW rotor removal bolt. A /6 hub cap wrench. Feeler gauges. The BMW hook wrench which also does the fork tube top caps. And a 27mm X 36mm socket wrench. I have a pair of Heyco Channel Lock type pliers, I find this tool most useful for putting the speedo and tach cables on and off.

A couple of small tire irons and one large 15" tire iron. I'm afraid if I did have a flat I'd be calling the truck because I really suck at changing tires, always have. I do have a couple of patches for tubes and a portable elec air pump that's pretty small I can add.

I'm going to someday buy a lighter weight exhaust nut wrench, I have only the large heavy one. I don't normally have this on the bike but if I was travelling I guess I would make room for it.

In addition to tools I always seem to have an assortment of greases, silicones and other sealants. I do carry a small container of wheel bearing grease, not a lot but I think enough to completely clean and grease both wheels and the swing arm bearings if needed. (you can never have too much grease )

There are several rags for wiping hands. I put a new clean one on board regularly. I need a new small container of hand cleaner but I am always forgetting to get this.

I keep a few loose things in the under seat tool try but the two tool rolls are in my Hannigan Fairing pockets, one on each side.

I'll try to put a photo up later. It's raining tonight. Maybe tom.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,958
Put the oversized tools in he bottom of your tank bag. Your bike will know that you have all the tools needed for roadside repairs, and won't break.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
Uke
visualist

Oddometer: 29
My R100R came with the factory tool roll and tray. I've added a Leatherman tool, LED flashlight (3 x AAA batts), a spare head lamp bulb and an assortment of wire ties.

I also carry a compact air compressor and some tubeless tire plug kits along with my rain suit in a pannier.

Oh no, I just realized I don't have a roll of duct tape on my bike. I'm doomed.
Uke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
You really didn't have one for me. I have my tool tray in place, but no tools in it, they are in one of the saddle bags. In my tool tray I have extra spark plugs, spare cables, valve stem innards, and my owners card and insurance.

Plenty full. I do have additional tools in the bag as well.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM   #9
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,898
In typical German fashion the latches on my airhead seats are barely able to keep the seat in place.
So, since I am fond of the BMW tool kit I keep it locked up. Leaving nothing under the seat.
I also remove the side covers so they too don't get stolen, having already lost one of em.
Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM   #10
apt13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
you could attach one of those nifty tractor manual tubes somewhere and put the tool roll in that. i always thought what was a great idea when i first saw it.
Airhead Tshirts!
apt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM   #11
190e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
For local journeys and commuting I'm in the "don't need no stinkin tools" camp Having never needed them on the road in 8 years it's just hauling unnecessary weight about so I quit carrying them. The tool tray gets used instead for my lunch or a lightweight waterproof cover for the bike. If I'm going any distance I drop the tool roll back in even though it's never needed.

My No1 rule is never carry out any maintenance work just before a trip. If it's run happily ever day for weeks or months on end there is no reason for it to fail on the next outing ...provided I don't change anything.
190e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM   #12
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,080
My seat is bolted down, so no tray. Tools are in a toolbag behind the seat.
Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM   #13
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,834
For local rides I've got the standard tool kit. Like 190e, rarely needed. Then again, maybe they're rarely needed because they ARE there. I do carry a tubeless tire plug kit and pump, but that's because it could be pretty nasty getting a flat on some remote logging road. It's happened to a friend and he had to walk miles for help - no cell service. Up in the mountains, night coming on... doesn't sound fun to me.

On longer trips I do take spare stuff and extra tools. Took a ride to the east coast in June (6K round trip) and didn't need any of it.
Old Today, 05:01 AM   #14
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,097
I used my under seat tool kit to adjust the clutch cable last week. I suppose it could have waited until I got home, but the adjustment allowed ride testing. I normally don't use the tool kit, but it's nice to have. My tool tray has a Motion Pro metric multitool and a Titan micro bit driver with the stock tool kit.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote