User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM   #1
AlexSonoma OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
R80/7 Questions/Issues

Got a few things that Ive noticed on my '78 R80/7 that I'm hoping to get some input on, from least concerning to most concerning. Any input is greatly appreciated

Front brakes squeak loudly. I assume I just need new pads which I am picking up tomorrow. Anything else that could cause this?

Sometimes the bike seems to "backfire" when I hit 70-75 mph. Not sure what this could be, perhaps a carb adjustment is in order?

Sometimes when shifting from 4th to 5th it hits a false neutral... bike will usually go into 5th on the 2nd try. I've not had this issue on other bikes, maybe I just need to shift harder? Or maybe its something more serious?
AlexSonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:54 AM   #2
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSonoma View Post
Got a few things that Ive noticed on my '78 R80/7 that I'm hoping to get some input on, from least concerning to most concerning. Any input is greatly appreciated

Front brakes squeak loudly. I assume I just need new pads which I am picking up tomorrow. Anything else that could cause this?

Sometimes the bike seems to "backfire" when I hit 70-75 mph. Not sure what this could be, perhaps a carb adjustment is in order?

Sometimes when shifting from 4th to 5th it hits a false neutral... bike will usually go into 5th on the 2nd try. I've not had this issue on other bikes, maybe I just need to shift harder? Or maybe its something more serious?
A response from most concerning to least:

1. A pre-load when shifting helps considerably on the older gear boxes.

2. Give the bike a tune-up, starting with adjusting the valves, then points - always tinker with the carburetors last.

3. Install the new pads and see how it goes. The eccentric pin needs to be set so the caliper is furthest from the axle (i.e. closest to the rotor edge). I tune the pin by 'feel' - using light braking by holding the lever with a zip tie then rotating the pin slightly while rotating the wheel to minimize drag.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:43 AM   #3
Beemeup
1978 R/100/7

Oddometer: 39
Have you given it a proper tune up? These bikes never shifted like their Japanese counterparts. They require a bit more of a commanding shift but you get used to it. Preloading the sifter a bit and rpms makes a big difference especially if you have a heavy flywheel. Are the plugs and wires in top shape?
Beemeup is online now   Reply With Quote