Oddometer: 1,317
Old 09-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #1547
OLD GREEN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDuke
When I grow up I want to be a KTM 690 Rally Replica

Nice! I really dig the matching school bus! The diamond plate is pretty cool as well.
OLD GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:09 AM   #1548
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg

Is that yours?
No its Claris's an identity in Sydney Australia. He rode the bike overland from Switz to Australia and wrote a book about it.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #1549
TheRealDuke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
HardAss

This is all shameless self promotion but my wife is tired of listening to me talk about my builds. I am sure you guys are better listeners anyway. So here it is. I bought this bike from a co-worker.........

..........and made it into this

......I sold it, bought a stock R100GS PD and fixed it up a bit

I do love the GS. Thanks for listening.
TheRealDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #1550
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
great mods, clever ones I love the starter cover, twist grip gears etc etc
Please put more pics and informations about the RT and the GS
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #1551
bikecat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
......I sold it, bought a stock R100GS PD and fixed it up a bit

The rear section is a fuel tank?

Love the attention and ideas that went into the custom beemer-cruiser.

Cheers
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:25 AM   #1552
maverick
Lost South-African..

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
This is all shameless self promotion but my wife is tired of listening to me talk about my builds. I am sure you guys are better listeners anyway. So here it is. I bought this bike from a co-worker.........

..........and made it into this

That is one nice chop dude, I like it ALOT

The throttle cable mod is brilliant. If I may ask what type of brass taps did you use for the fuel?

Ohhh and another thing how did you mount those handlebars to the top yolk....ohhhh and ....ok that's it for now
Old 09-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #1553
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,967
Question

That's cool. Do anything to the motor or just an exterior cleanup?

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #1554
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,117
OH YEA !!!!

EXCELLENT CRAFTSMANSHIP AND INGENUITY !!!!

Need a build thread on this one and more pictures...
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #1555
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,163
nice shiny seat
danedg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #1556
TheRealDuke
Adventurer

BMW Modification

Thanks for all the interest in the bikes. I wrote an article for a chopper magazine about the first bike, I copied it below. There are some more photos of it here.
http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/...uke/?start=all

"This bike rolled off a Bavarian factory floor as an R80RT made by BMW. It used to be a touring bike with full fairing, massive windshield, heated hand grips, hard saddlebags and a million and one useless things like a speedometer, horn, turn signals, high beams, you name it and it was on there. However, the engineering is pretty ingenious. Take a look at the single sided swing arm containing the shaft drive and drum brake. It doesn’t get cleaner than that. The engine is an 800 cc air-cooled four stroke flat-twin with overhead valves in a V arrangement. She runs as smooth as a five cylinder Mercedes diesel.
Having an affinity to projects that are just a little off the beaten track, the BMW seemed to scratch that famous itch. A bike in need of resurrection finds its builder and not the other way round. Throughout this experience more time was spent looking at the bike than actually working on it. For that reason the first thing that needs to go into any workshop is a real comfortable lounge chair. Most important, enjoy every minute of working on your project of choice because you don’t know if you ever get a chance to do it again.
Things started to develop out of materials kicking around the shop. It all began by cutting a piece of 3/16” aluminum into the shape of a seat pan and beating the hell out of it on a wood chopping block for about 2 hours. The material was thick enough to sand out all the nicks and small dents. Never having done sheet metal fabrication before, child like excitement over the unexpected success escalate to thoughts of having been born with a natural gift that takes others years to acquire. Having gained self-proclaimed master builder status from one hour to the next the only sensible next step was to fabricate the gas tank. Three tanks in the scrap pile later and after days of hammering, bloody blisters, angry neighbors and a deflated ego, it turns out the seat pan was beginners luck. When it came to fabricating the tank things didn’t go quite as smooth. Recognizing that sheet metal work is certainly an art form, determination made up for the missing talent and a half decent tank was created. Some 1” SCH40 stainless pipe was bent to fashion handle bars. To keep the bars as clean as possible and to stay with the theme the hand controls are welded on. The original master cylinder was moved below and modified to be cable operated. Works just fine. The head and taillight housings are turned out of solid aluminum since more sheet metal work was not an option. The fender is supported off the single sided swing arm in order to keep it close to the tire. Flipping the shock up-side down made it possible to accommodate the fender mount. Which is just one of so many examples were the work to flip the shock around took about 10 minutes but it took days for the idea to develop. For the exhaust 1-1/2” stainless 90’s were welded and dressed in exhaust wrap for, let’s pretend, performance. Whatever. The muffler has a perforated pipe inside that’s covered in pink house insulation. It actually works.
Most of what couldn’t be reused of the original bike was made. It’s not that there was nothing better to do but new parts are way too expensive and in the case of the tank, nothing store bought would fit and look good. One part that was reused is the rack and pinion type throttle control with the little chain on it. BMW has this all hidden away in a housing for no one to see. That thing would be half the reason to buy a Beemer and they don’t even show it to you.
The fender is made out of fiberglass. Crap for that will only be taken from guys that have actually made their own metal fender. Not just by cutting one down the middle and shrinking it but fabricating one from scratch. An effort had been made to fabricate a metal fender. The results are in the same pile as the first three tanks. A point was reached where determination was no match to absence of experience and skill. Nowadays everyone buys their shit off e-bay but that’s just not for some of us. One of the few things bought new, were valve covers. Most of the bike is mid 80’s which is a time in history where nothing beautiful was made. So much rounder valve covers from the 60’s were put on. The cooling fins on the cylinder had to be ground to make it look like they belong. The electrical system was ignored till the bitter end. No idea what most of that stuff was or what it did was no hindrance to tearing a shit-load of wires, relays and other junk off the bike without much thought. Not a smart thing to do. How the f@(k are you supposed to understand electricity when you can’t even see it. A lot of it was under the old tank. Since the new tank will not accommodate any of it, a new engine top cover was made to keep a bare bones version of the electronics there. Since some of that stuff doesn’t do well with heat, air scoops were put on the sides and holes were drilled in the top for the hot air to escape. The coil, hall-effect transmitter, ignition switch, a start relay and some other things got crammed into it. A fondness for simplicity and a disdain for keys are the reasons the bike is only equipped with a switch and a start button.
One late evening the time had come to pull the choke, open the petcock, flick the switch and push the start button. Not the faintest idea if anything at all would happen, it was like magic when she roared to life without any hesitation. It was a sweet moment. She is loud, raw and sounds mean. It is enormously satisfying to be working on something with an engine. It is not like building a piece of furniture or renovating parts of the house. With any one project you get the satisfaction of building something with your own hands, but there is nothing like pushing a button at the end of it all to bring it to life. Anyway, you guys are probably not the emotional kind wanting to hear shit like that. Even though there has been no motivation to naming something that will not respond to when called, consideration has been given to putting a sticker on the bike revering to it as “The Real Duke”. It’s a BMW vs. KTM thing. You wonder what she’s like to ride? Let’s just say there is nothing like going through corners with your knee being the lowest part of your body. This bike is not your typical chopper, bobber or even street fighter and hopefully there isn’t a category this bike can be slotted into because I hate being categorized about as much as I hate keys."

TheRealDuke screwed with this post 09-15-2010 at 09:39 PM
Old 09-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #1557
TheRealDuke
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikecat
The rear section is a fuel tank?

Love the attention and ideas that went into the custom beemer-cruiser.

Cheers
The rear section is storage bags. I shouldn't say this out loud in this thread but it is probably pretty obvious, I really like the look of the KTM 690 Rally Replica which is (was) so dominant in the Dakar races. I used it as inspiration for this build. They use the rear section for fuel but with the 7 gal tank on the BMW I figure fuel should not be an issue. We'll see.

TheRealDuke screwed with this post 09-15-2010 at 08:40 PM
Old 09-16-2010, 01:39 AM   #1558
maverick
Lost South-African..

Oddometer: 561
Thanks for the write up dude, a really great build to be proud of

Quote:
Having gained self-proclaimed master builder status from one hour to the next
Haven't we all been there
Old 09-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #1559
nella
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:

/snip/

I think this is one of the better-looking BMW bobbers I have seen and it's mainly due to the creative things you did like this throttle set-up.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #1560
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,163
danedg is online now   Reply With Quote