Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #3091
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
Oh god! That just hurts every bit of me....it also compels me to ask the complete story.

Thieving bastards managed to get it out through the pedestrian gate, with panniers on, steering locked and dragged it down to a local park. When they couldn`t work out how to hot wire it they kicked a fuel tap off and torched it.

All this happened quite a while ago, but I am still pissed off about it. That bike was going to be a keeper, with improvements (twin plugging, circlip mod, capacity increase) being made as needed.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #3092
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,981
That really sucks.

Reminds me of AndyT's 100PD a few years back. He'd owned it for less than twelve hours and hadn't even had time to insure it. I don't think he'd even ridden it.

Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #3093
ms-oz
Mike

Oddometer: 69
guess we can start a thread about burnt down airheads, bought and picked the R100 GS up in Melbourne May 2011, she was running like a swiss watch, after 5 day and more than 4800km in the middle of the Victorian desert, riding in deep sand she caught fire and burnt down on me in minutes, uninsured!
ms-oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #3094
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Oh my gosh! This SUCKS! Seriously I can't even imagine what that would feel like, does really make me sad to see those beautiful machines all burnt to bits...
Old 11-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #3095
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,096
What causes this?
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #3096
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,891
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #3097
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,259
I'm gonna atart carrying a fire extingisher and Smith & Wesson every time I ride now.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #3098
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy81 View Post
What causes this?
Vehicle fires are usually caused by leaking fuel that either gets too hot by exposure to such things as the exhaust or can be ignited by stray spark from ignition systems. Fuel and heat, usually the Oxygen is not a problem.

Was common some years ago with air cooled Volkswagens that had a bad fuel pump. That era when a fuel pump went bad on almost anything it leaked, on the VW the fuel pump was on top of the exhaust system.

Ever seen the sparks emitted by a poorly running '70's V8? Open the hood on one on a dark night and watch the light show.

Have also seen engine oil caught fire on the exhaust header once. Oil leaked from the valve cover. Put out fire with my map. (Was an expensive map. Customer decided she didn't need a Cab. This happened as I was making the P/U, in front of her house in Georgetown. About 20 years ago)

I had the front seat of a 1950 Plymouth catch fire from a cigarette that fell into the cloth seat. Seats of that era were padded with some kind of fiber that may have been horse hair. Boy it really stank.

Put out a burning Harley Davidson once parked on MacArthur Blvd. Found owner. He thought it was enemies. I wasn't sure. Might have been leaking gas from a faulty petcock.

Do your own maintenance.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #3099
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,560
....a lot of petcocks are right over hot exhausts....

Old 11-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #3100
bpeckm
Grin!

That is (was...) an interesting bike: I know R65's were done with mono-shock, but is that /7 style tank? ... and what is that tank-bra/tank cover?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #3101
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

A monolever tank can be made to fit a R65. There is a mounting bracket that holds on the mono tank that is different from a R65 mount ... but those mounts actually bolt to the frame in the same way ... so you need a mono tank and the frame mount, and instantly you get 1.5 more gallons.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #3102
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
Oh my gosh! This SUCKS! Seriously I can't even imagine what that would feel like, does really make me sad to see those beautiful machines all burnt to bits...
It does me as well, and as far as the stolen ones- god help me I just hate to think about what I might do after something like that.
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #3103
tofgasp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
A monolever tank can be made to fit a R65. There is a mounting bracket that holds on the mono tank that is different from a R65 mount ... but those mounts actually bolt to the frame in the same way ... so you need a mono tank and the frame mount, and instantly you get 1.5 more gallons.

Or you can just find a monolever R65 produced during 6 years... You'll get this tank fitted by the factory...
tofgasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #3104
bpeckm
Grin!

My curiosity was that I own an R80ST, which has an R65 tank (more fuel, and better looking than the ST tank) but I really like the looks and capacity of the /7 tanks.....

Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #3105
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofgasp View Post

Or you can just find a monolever R65 produced during 6 years... You'll get this tank fitted by the factory...
Which 6 years are you thinking about? Because the mono-R65's were only imported into our neck o' the woods for one year ... so here, that tank, mount, and bike is kind of rare. So out of curiousity, what did I say that 'rubbed you wrong'?