Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #3106
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms-oz View Post
This photo is going to result in nightmares. That's just sad.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #3107
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,755
I can understand how the bike would get mired down, fuel tank is full and spills over onto a hot exhaust and whooooshh.... big fireball.... youch
Old 11-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #3108
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
This photo is going to result in nightmares. That's just sad.
Amen. Looks like it had some nice parts on there, too.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #3109
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,311
Boxer engine VW Kombi`s used to have the same trouble in Australia`s heat; it was quite common for the engine bay to go up in smoke.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #3110
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
So, does anyone carry a fire extinguisher?
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #3111
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,311
Here`s a very special bike. 1000cc powerup kit, twin plug heads, 25mm swingarm extension, 5% lower first and 5% higher top gears, Red Centre ignition system, Keihan exhaust; plus more. Very similar spec to the bike that the owner is building for me.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #3112
headtube
6 months of winter!

Oddometer: 279
A work in progress.

headtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #3113
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by headtube View Post
A work in progress.

They're all works in progress.

Nice looking bike.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #3114
RaystheBMW
1986 R65

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Vehicle fires are usually caused by leaking fuel that either gets too hot by exposure to such things as the exhaust or can be ignited by stray spark from ignition systems. Fuel and heat, usually the Oxygen is not a problem.

Was common some years ago with air cooled Volkswagens that had a bad fuel pump. That era when a fuel pump went bad on almost anything it leaked, on the VW the fuel pump was on top of the exhaust system.

Ever seen the sparks emitted by a poorly running '70's V8? Open the hood on one on a dark night and watch the light show.

Have also seen engine oil caught fire on the exhaust header once. Oil leaked from the valve cover. Put out fire with my map. (Was an expensive map. Customer decided she didn't need a Cab. This happened as I was making the P/U, in front of her house in Georgetown. About 20 years ago)

I had the front seat of a 1950 Plymouth catch fire from a cigarette that fell into the cloth seat. Seats of that era were padded with some kind of fiber that may have been horse hair. Boy it really stank.

Put out a burning Harley Davidson once parked on MacArthur Blvd. Found owner. He thought it was enemies. I wasn't sure. Might have been leaking gas from a faulty petcock.

Do your own maintenance.
That's why I route my spark plug wires as far forward as possible, away from the fuel lines and carburetors. It might not really matter in the grand scheme of things, but it can't hurt either.
RaystheBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #3115
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,356
Fire risk for RS & RT models..
Quote:
Originally Posted by "From Motobins Hints and tips}
A Fire Risk has existed on RS and RT models for years, where the lateral fairing bracket passes below the fuel tank. The captive nut on its frame clamp has sharp edges, and the main battery cable is usually pressed against it, just above the engine. Several machines have burnt out from this cause, and it is virtually impossible to realign the battery cable. Either insert a piece of rubber sheet over the cable, or do it properly, and exchange the positions of the battery cable and the adjacent small auxiliary cables.
One of the lurkers here is a friend of mine. He rode a R100r. One late night whilst parked on the street in a small country town, his bike burned beyond repair. I doubt it was an electrical problem.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #3116
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,031
I always wondered about the danger of fire - especially when I'm fueling up. I won't let anyone else do it. What I don't really like is the scupper drain on my R100GS gas tank. If any fuel pools near the filler cap opening, it's routed right down to my nice hot cylinders and exhaust which is below that. Should there be a drain line to the bottom of the bike from the spigot at the bottom of the tank? I've been aware of the hazard but these horrible shots of burnt Beemers has now made me think that I should do something about it.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #3117
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,037
There is a place on the underside of the tank to attach a hose - actually two - one for the gutter drain, and the other is a tank vent.

When I was working for a BMW bike junkyard fifteen years ago, we got a GS in that had burned down. The story went that the owner had ridden home, put it in his garage, and about an hour later it caught fire. Concensus was that the heated grips had failed on, most likely due to the relay, overheated and caught the rubber on fire, and it went from there.

I've also got a transmission from a /6 that crashed and then burned. It's not an unheard of problem.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #3118
Captmilk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I just bought this last week and I'm new to BMW

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Captmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #3119
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
I always wondered about the danger of fire - especially when I'm fueling up. I won't let anyone else do it. What I don't really like is the scupper drain on my R100GS gas tank. If any fuel pools near the filler cap opening, it's routed right down to my nice hot cylinders and exhaust which is below that. Should there be a drain line to the bottom of the bike from the spigot at the bottom of the tank? I've been aware of the hazard but these horrible shots of burnt Beemers has now made me think that I should do something about it.
Same here, except it ruined the paint on my newly refinished starter cover badges.
So I ran a hose from that drain spigot along the frame towards the rear that drops down behind the trans and dumps fuel onto the ground.
I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be but it works for me.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #3120
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
Same here, except it ruined the paint on my newly refinished starter cover badges.
So I ran a hose from that drain spigot along the frame towards the rear that drops down behind the trans and dumps fuel onto the ground.
I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be but it works for me.
I've never had any drain hoses coming from those 2 spigots under my mono tank - wonder if I should - don't think they've ever pee'd gas even when the tank was pretty full and I was swinging it around the garage.

1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote