Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #3691
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
Man, tough crowd! Not my personal style, but it's nice. Whose bike is ever finished? I like the color a lot.
Hey, I love this bike. It was my inspiration to use a lot of the Boxer Metal bits on my own café.
And to each his own- When I bought my stock R100RT I found it unridable. Too heavy, to vision-impaired, too hot for summer riding. Turning it into a café is how I made an unridable bike actually something I can ride comfortably every day in good weather. And I will be riding it this June from NYC to North Carolina for the BMWRA rally which is 750 miles each way. I'll let you all know how that works out for me after I return alive.
1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #3692
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
lOVE IT!

The color is great! I think it makes it look lighter with it open behind the engine, perception makes a difference, especially on a cafe.

Were it closed in it wouldn't look as 'fast' as it looks. If that makes sense to anyone else.

DAMN NICE BIKE, anyway you looks at it! Good job!
slowpoke69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #3693
boxerkuh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
It is a nice build. I like it. Who cares what everybody else think's, as long as you like it. Nothing wrong with building something that works for you. Keep the rubber side down!!!!!!!!!!
boxerkuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #3694
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,797
Quote:
Man, tough crowd! Not my personal style, but it's nice. Whose bike is ever finished? I like the color a lot.

!
Oh please... You post up pics of your modified bikes on a public forum you're going to get comments, good & bad. (and they're mostly good).

Some of us actually have opinions and enjoy exercises in aesthetics... should we pee ourselves with glee every time someone lops a seat in half?
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice

Zodiac screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 02:08 PM
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #3695
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post
And I will be riding it this June from NYC to North Carolina for the BMWRA rally which is 750 miles each way. I'll let you all know how that works out for me after I return alive.
Have fun, it'll do it easy. I rode my Airhead from Eastern LI to Tennessee, with a good 250 mile day in between at rally - I think I put 1800 miles on it in one 3 day wknd.

The rear fork/shaft oil looked like milk when I got home though...
Old 04-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #3696
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Oh please... You post up pics of your modified bikes on a public forum you're going to get comments, good & bad. (and they're mostly good).

Some of us actually have opinions and enjoy exercises in aesthetics... should we pee ourselves with glee every time someone lops a seat in half?
Oh, I gots me some opinions . . . , I just wanted to send him a little love I guess.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #3697
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
Oh, I gots me some opinions . . . , I just wanted to send him a little love I guess.
Good for you brother!
This is a very nice, and well executed piece of work. There is a lot of negativity spewed out here, for no real reason, other than to be dicks. It is one thing to express concerns over function, or safety, but where issues of personal taste are concerned, to each his own. however too many people seem to think their opinion is the important one.

It's disappointing to see someone put this much work into a really nice, and tasteful machine, and receive so much negativity, about tiny nit pick, personal taste issues. It would be nice if sometimes a few people could keep their opinions to themselves.

Yeah, like that will happen!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #3698
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,886
I said I don't like chopped up fenders. It's a mater of function of the fender. The short fender allows more water and mud to hit the bike and the rider maybe.

I also said I don't like Chrome valve covers. I think the addition of Chrome retains extra heat. Not everybody agrees with that but I personally think of this anytime I see Chrome valve covers.

So then I complimented the owner on having a nice bike. Yes I like the over all look of this. We only have a limited view and maybe from a rear angle I might change my mind but I know what I like. I think people that post pictures of their bikes want reviews and opinions.

Notice there are very few pics of my piece of jalopy motorcycle floating around. Believe me when I tell you I am doing you a favor by not posting pics of my bike.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #3699
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I said I don't like chopped up fenders. It's a mater of function of the fender. The short fender allows more water and mud to hit the bike and the rider maybe.

I also said I don't like Chrome valve covers. I think the addition of Chrome retains extra heat. Not everybody agrees with that but I personally think of this anytime I see Chrome valve covers.

So then I complimented the owner on having a nice bike. Yes I like the over all look of this. We only have a limited view and maybe from a rear angle I might change my mind but I know what I like. I think people that post pictures of their bikes want reviews and opinions.

Notice there are very few pics of my piece of jalopy motorcycle floating around. Believe me when I tell you I am doing you a favor by not posting pics of my bike.
I don't like chrome covers because it's too much shiny. it's contrasts that make it in a design sense. See how nice that stripe looks on the tank? Contrast.

But I pay attention to small details a lot. The top center circle on the carbs (that always rusts) would look fantastic with some of the tank paint in it. A tiny thing that just ties it together. That little bit of matching color.

Holes lined up on fork caps is good. Not lining up the dipstick; bad. Use different o-rings to get it parallel to case.

I saw an engine cover that looked so good I wanted to f--- it. Can't find it now. It was one of those things that looked like an exciting factory variant rather than a driveway mod. The whole motor just looked sleek and sexy and right rather than crudely chopped off. No idea what it took to make it but if you can do a seat cowl...and I bet 'glas would work.

The mirror needs to go back to the schwinn bicycle place. Just not up to the rest of the build. The second mirror looks better. It needs good bar ends.

I like the eyebrow, just because. (it seems to come and go) I don't like the dents in the top of the headlight bucket (common on these builds). They no longer do anything so fill them. Again, sleek and clean and looking like it's supposed to be that way.

Not that this thing goes out in the rain, but the horn's upside down. Snail comes over the top, mouth at about 45 degrees.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #3700
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
There is a lot of negativity spewed out here, for no real reason, other than to be dicks. It is one thing to express concerns over function, or safety, but where issues of personal taste are concerned, to each his own. however too many people seem to think their opinion is the important one.

Oh christ man, get a life, and get off your sermon box.

"Dicks".... seriously?

Someone says something about a fender or a headlight shroud and suddenly their dicks, and their opinion is some grandiose narcissism ...?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #3701
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
It would be nice if sometimes a few people could keep their opinions to themselves.
Maybe you're in the wrong thread?

This is a "show us your bike thread".
Old 04-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #3702
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Maybe you're in the wrong thread?

This is a "show us your bike thread".
apparently you seem to think its a spew your rhetoric thread. Take more tranquilizers next time
Old 04-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #3703
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
apparently you seem to think its a spew your rhetoric thread. Take more tranquilizers next time
So anyone that says something like, oh, I don't know.... they don't like a particular piece, part, or design on someone's airhead deserves to be called a "dick", and to be told they should "keep their opinions to themselves"?

Really?

Must be a sad place to live.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #3704
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 970
"too many people seem to think their opinion is the important one"

Of course it is, sheesh!

1992 BMW R100GS
2005 BMW R1200GS
kadesean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:13 AM   #3705
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 952
Believe me, I've been on the receiving end, it's no big deal. Some folks give a shit about how their cases look, some don't, etc. I built my bike with one thing in mind, you built yours with another, and I'm not gonna apply my standard to your stuff.