Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #3811
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
I think that the outfit is called kevills or Kewills? Speed shop in Devon, they make cafe scrambler bikes out of BMWs yours for 6000 or more. I think that it's show rather than Go but google should be your friend.
Thanks, found them: http://kevilsspeedshop.com/kevils/

They actually make very clean airhead cafés. Looks like they make their own bolt on solo seats also, that are nicer than any seats you can find in the USA for airheads.
1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #3812
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
What a great timeless shot. That could be anytime in the past 30 years. Got me a new desktop

Thanks Rob, but 30 years ago the trees were smaller and that small hole on the right side of the road was not there!

Cheers
Old 04-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #3813
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,792
they advertise their bikes as being street legal, however the side mounted number plates are illegal in the UK, and the number plates themselves need to be reflective, just those little details that when corrected would seriously diminish the retro look.

i also see from the website that they do not sell parts only bikes.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #3814
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
they advertise their bikes as being street legal, however the side mounted number plates are illegal in the UK, and the number plates themselves need to be reflective, just those little details that when corrected would seriously diminish the retro look.

i also see from the website that they do not sell parts only bikes.
That's too bad about the ridiculously large euro plates not being legal when on the side. Here in New York we are allowed to put our plate on the side and also rotate it 90 degrees if we want to- as long as it is visible from the rear and has a light on it.

I too was sad to see they don't sell parts. Perhaps if they don't find enough customers to buy their built bikes, they'll start selling seats and that nice exhaust they make. (or have made for them)
1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #3815
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
Cool bike, but that squiggly header is bothering me. Why would they do that?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #3816
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 3,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Man. Absolutely. Such wonderful clean lines on that seat / tank ... and then to ruin it with those pipes. Usually that kind of thing doesn't really bother me ... but it did on this one. Weird.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #3817
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,343
Quote:
Looks like it is made to clear the center stand.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #3818
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
Looks like it is made to clear the center stand.
What center stand?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #3819
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,007
Quote:
What center stand?
It's a clear centre stand.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #3820
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:

Because they're not very good?

it should go down the other side altogether, then you get good access to the oil filter and it's lots cleaner. Do the muffler rise above the axle thing while you're at it. At least they kept the air cleaner, avoiding the dumb "pod" cliche, but they cut the ends of the front fender just like a stocker. I know why it's there at all and the length is proportional, but the cut on the ends isn't proportional. Looks like a custom subframe, and it's lifted, but not quite enough. That seat pan should be dead in line with the bottom of the tank. Mirrors are missing. Bar ends minimum. Steering dampener knob sticks up like a sore thumb. Good to have it but cut the silly thing down or better, use a /2 chrome one (I believe). And the /7 fork caps? Gah!! Use /5 or /6 top nuts and metal caps. And a real top fork plate please. And dual plug it already. And dual choke rods on the carbs. And if the coils are out in the breeze fit Bosch Blues. And a little less of the patchwork effect in the engine paint. Pick up the polish in the painted pieces. Chrome the air top cover clips. Polish out the timing chain cover ribs to match the tank. Black out the BMW logo surround and then polish the logo itself. Full on mirror polish. It's some work but that's what separates the people that just knock one out by the formulas and the real builders that nail both the mechanical AND styling details.

Pretty at a glance, but a bit dull and quickly forgotten.

Easy to be critical, and I certainly am, but I see a lot of these things and it is the extremely rare one that is really well done.

Something I would really like to see someday, although it is a ton of work, is polished hammered aluminum.

Plaka screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 09:13 PM
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #3821
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
It's a clear centre stand.
heh heh
Old 04-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #3822
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
I suspect/hope the exhaust just looks awkward from this angle, and looks much better in other views. The exhaust on my bike looks great (to me) but looking from the front on the bikes left side, the pipes don't look right at all
Old 05-01-2013, 04:02 AM   #3823
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Because they're not very good?

it should go down the other side altogether, then you get good access to the oil filter and it's lots cleaner. Do the muffler rise above the axle thing while you're at it. At least they kept the air cleaner, avoiding the dumb "pod" cliche, but they cut the ends of the front fender just like a stocker. I know why it's there at all and the length is proportional, but the cut on the ends isn't proportional. Looks like a custom subframe, and it's lifted, but not quite enough. That seat pan should be dead in line with the bottom of the tank. Mirrors are missing. Bar ends minimum. Steering dampener knob sticks up like a sore thumb. Good to have it but cut the silly thing down or better, use a /2 chrome one (I believe). And the /7 fork caps? Gah!! Use /5 or /6 top nuts and metal caps. And a real top fork plate please. And dual plug it already. And dual choke rods on the carbs. And if the coils are out in the breeze fit Bosch Blues. And a little less of the patchwork effect in the engine paint. Pick up the polish in the painted pieces. Chrome the air top cover clips. Polish out the timing chain cover ribs to match the tank. Black out the BMW logo surround and then polish the logo itself. Full on mirror polish. It's some work but that's what separates the people that just knock one out by the formulas and the real builders that nail both the mechanical AND styling details.

Pretty at a glance, but a bit dull and quickly forgotten.

Easy to be critical, and I certainly am, but I see a lot of these things and it is the extremely rare one that is really well done.

Something I would really like to see someday, although it is a ton of work, is polished hammered aluminum.
It's all about maximum bling at minimum cost.......they say that they rebuild the engines properly, but im sure that they just make sure it runs long enough to clear whatever Gtee they give it.

What I really hate about the look is the huge air gap behind the engine, exposing the spindly nature of both the mainframe and subframes. If I was going to get someone to build a cafe racer racer in the UK, I would go to one of the established BMW engineers, I saw one of Steve Scrimegers cafe racers at his workshop, it looked really good and judging by the condition of the tyres worked well on the track.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #3824
hwy61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Before/After

A few upgrades, shocks, springs, bars, bar end signals, lights...and a little streamlining...

Old 05-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #3825
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,343
Nice. That has combat touring written all over it.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote