Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #4697
Other Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Max,

Stunning indeed, as are the machines surrounding it. I'm curious about the one at the back of this row. Can you tell me about the source for the cafe' fairing with the white 'wings'?

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
Had a friend visit last weekend on his stunning, freshly restored Daytona Orange R90S. ***
Other Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #4698
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
This is not genuine, but I like the red strips and white turn signals on the silver smoke 90S
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #4699
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
Interesting color - what is it?

"If you want to be happy for a Day, Drink.
If you want to be happy for a Year, Marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, Ride a BMW!"
globalt38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #4700
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Bob View Post
I'm curious about the one at the back of this row.

Me too. So it's a hybrid, you mean like a Toyota Prius?? I think we need a few pics and a bit of a story.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #4701
Max Headroom
lost in the '70s

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Bob View Post
Max,

Stunning indeed, as are the machines surrounding it. I'm curious about the one at the back of this row. Can you tell me about the source for the cafe' fairing with the white 'wings'?

Bob

Hi Bob, the black bike is a one owner '75 R75/6 which he personally collected from BMW in Munich. It's done 150,000km and has original paint. The owner swapped the single disc front end for a drum brake out of personal preference about 15 years ago.

The fairing is a genuine "S" fairing with fibreglass attachments for wind protection. I have acquired the moulds for them, but can't imagine wanting to make any. They are functional, but hideous IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy82rats

This is not genuine, but I like the red strips and white turn signals on the silver smoke 90S
Yeah, the indicators aren't "correct" and nor are the pinstripes. In fact there's quite a long list of non-standard stuff on this bike, but it is a genuine 1976 "4090###" matching numbers R90S, built in Nov 1975. Given that ten short years ago it was in boxes, dismantled because it was worn out by the previous owner, I don't feel bad about the changes one little bit. The features unique to the R90S model are present and correct, such as the handlebar clamps, Dellorto carbs, fuel tank, etc.

"Don't worry, it's not loaded."
last words of Chicago's Terry Kath before shooting himself in 1978
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #4702
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,790
So the bike at rear is not the hybrid......I'm still keen to here about it. Although there aren't many old bikes that actually get used that haven't been changed in some way.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #4703
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,191
I've found my newest screen saver

From here: http://thevintagent.blogspot.com/201...este-2014.html
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #4704
lmyamen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319

Untitled by Levi Yamen, on Flickr

lmyamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #4705
R100LT
Chasing 11

Oddometer: 574
Getting my girls ready for their move to a new house next week

Old 12-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #4706
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,218
Taking my R100GS where it was built to ride

Nevada's Ophir Pass:

The Original Pony Express Route

Back home and all cleaned up
Old 12-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #4707
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
just a beautiful example of R100 black and yellow! Always loved that color scheme!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #4708
Beater
Breakin' Somethin'

Oddometer: 2,737
I am sure this is awesome ... but it hurts my back to even look at. Oy.

But I dig what you did to the cylinders. That metal striping on the black jug is great ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyamen View Post

Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #4709
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,284
It is really cold in Ohio. Making use of the downtime.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #4710
makad
P/T Shed Dwelling Hermit

Oddometer: 246
makad's 100/7 Canberra to Coolup

Howdy Gents,
Long time lurker – first time post-er on this thread.

I couldn’t work out quite where to put this one. Its sort of fly and ride, sort of 5 days or less RR but for reasons explained below there are very few interesting RR pics. But as way of introduction to your selves as I hope to pick some the brains of the collected wisdom at a later stage, Im going to chuck it in here.
Anyhoo, as my bestest riding buddy and abandoned this year for a new job that gives him only w/ends, the last good break had me with itchy feet, looking for an adventure and a germ of an idea.
I had found this R100/7 filling a chaps garage in Canberra and needing a new home. So, the question was once again posed "...will it make the ride back to the West, and I do mean West Australia?" "Oh yes" came the reply. Permission from Jill granted - plan hatched - ticket booked. I soon found myself in Canberra on Monday and at said chaps garage, a quick once over and $4500 handed over, down the road and stayed the night at my cousins place. Up early Tuesday and on the road heading westward with the goal in mind to be back home by Friday night - Saturday at the latest as I had promised the Minions that I would be with them for Adventure World on Sunday.

Dog On the Tuckerbox - Gundagai. Before all my problems started

All went well until Wagga Wagga when the bike wouldnt start on the button. "Oh shit" moment No1. Still warm, it bump started no worries but realised that i now have a problem that could strand me in western NSW on a 36deg day. Not good. Made my way into Hay and had my battery tested - down to 6volts. "Oh shit" moment No2. Asked for directions to the local autospark - found the oldest autosparky in Australia and he was a total champ - dropping everything to get to the problem on my new old bike. We spent the afternoon sweating it out in his w/s and fixed a few things on the diode board and some crusty connections. At the end of it we were still only getting 12.5 volts @4000revs. Not enough but better than nothing. I had hoped to make Mildura the first night, but the local pub in Hay it was.

At Maurices w/s in Hay. Western NSW. 36 degreeC (97F) day.

Up early Wednesday and away no worries thanks to the battery recharge at Maurices w/s. I still had problems so i couldnt afford to run a headlight - this made me quite nervous but demanded extra concentration which was frankly very mentally tiring. Found myself a compact battery charger in Mildura and a 10m extension cord in Renmark, where i got rained on as well. Stopped for fuel in a place called Morgan in SA and the attempted downhill bump start after refill - nothing. "Oh shit" moment No3. Coasting downhill now shitting myself and looking for outside powerpoints - spotted an RSL Hall with twin double GPO's. Coasted in, centrestand down, plugged in, topped up the oil, wandered around for a bit, came back, packed up, coasted down the hill again, bumped, broooooooum. Yay. Carried on thru to Port Pirie and stopped the night there. I was rooted.
The 3rd ride day, Thursday, was the hardest. Mostly from low blood sugar and a sore right shoulder. It was a big day and had to make it to try and get back some of the time lost in Hay. Nurofen along the way and Chicken and Rice in Ceduna set me right for a big 1034km day thru to Border Village. I ran out of charge completely again after fuel at Nullabor Roadhouse. A young travelling couple gave me a jump there and i made my goal for that day. Got a room, plugged in the bike and called it a day.
Its kind of a fun distraction passing people, stopping for fuel, passing them again, stopping for fuel, passing......and so on. There were a couple of guys with a ute loaded with jerry cans and towing an empty car trailer who i passed 8 times ( waving and giving them the running tally each time ) over 2 days going across. The next day at Balladonia i waved them down and had a chat to say that if i was stopped on the side of the road could they please load up the bike and rescue me. "Yep no worries". Thankfully they didnt have to and when we met again the next day for fuel at Norseman, we had a good catchup chat. They were heading south and i north. I made it to Coolgardie that day, Friday - a more enjoyable ride. Only 960kms.
The last day was the Saturday. I was in tune with the bike which mechanically was faultless but starting to get a bit "tappety". It was without any hitches and at last started to feel comfortable about getting home and making it. The anxiety which i had been riding with was starting to lift but i wasnt there yet. The only thing of mention was the 8 -10kms of locust swarm i had to ride through. That wasnt very nice. Feel sorry for the residents of Kellerberrin who had no doubt everything eaten in the path of these bastards. I did a pretty good job of killing as many as i could with my helmet visor.
Believe it or not - hitting traffic in Perth was a very unusual experience. Other people on my road! It was unsettling but getting through that lot was again a relief. Not as much as pulling up to home and finally lifting it up on the centre stand and getting off the bike. All the anxiety lifted when i was home at last. The relief was palpable.
5 States, 3900kms in 4 1/2 days on a 33 yo bike Id never seen before id started the trip home. Adventurous or foolhardy? Probably the latter - but a calculated risk nonetheless. Thankfully the weather really was very favorable all the way across, on the whole. At times it felt like a battle of attrition - with myself; but i also had a marvelous sense of achievement that im rightly proud of. Would i undertake such an epic mission again? - time pressures and reliability issues - unable to afford time to take things in a bit better, photo's and the like. Probably not.
Box ticked though….

So now to the future. What to do with this new project. It really amazingly got me home and for that I am in awe and gratitude. A nice, in keeping resto is probably appropriate. I am very taken with Bill42’s project though – and have told him so.
For starters get down to the charging issue which I have a lot more reading and testing to do before I call out for help. The collected wisdom in this place is really terrific.

The last pic is my mate Scotty (full ATGATT) before taking it down the road for a spin minus the mufflers. Not loud enough for me. I will start a new thread on suggestions on how to Up-Loud this bike at some point.
Thanks, Matt