ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #1366
east high
Studly Adventurer
 
east high's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon
Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashbike
Hell yeah!
__________________
'71 r75/5
east high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #1367
slashbike
Gnarly Adventurer
 
slashbike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Ferndale, WA
Oddometer: 120
Other side.

slashbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:54 AM   #1368
Rucksta
SS Blowhard
 
Rucksta's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Gold Coast
Oddometer: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Para-lever airhead hub, ala r100gs or r100r, uses the same axle as a K-bike.
Yes but that's not a hub from a paralever
__________________
My bike is slow but the earth is patient.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:50 AM   #1369
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta
Yes but that's not a hub from a paralever
So he turned them to fit a set of standard caged rollers and made some spacers to suit.

Pretty straight forward, or did I miss something?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #1370
Rucksta
SS Blowhard
 
Rucksta's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Gold Coast
Oddometer: 2,658
I don't think there is enough metal in the hub to allow that approach.

OD on the bearing surface is about 50mm and the ID is around 40mm.

Maybe some trick super thin bearings with a big hole down the middle?
__________________
My bike is slow but the earth is patient.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #1371
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous
 
Wirespokes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Jackson's Bottom Oregon
Oddometer: 8,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta
Yes but that's not a hub from a paralever
How did you determine that?

I can't see the hub in the photo, but it's got the four-bolt discs, which the R100R and GS also used. Even though the hubs come with the BMW cross laced tubeless rims, they've often been mated to normal (tube style) rims.

Why would you think that's not an R100R hub?
__________________
Wanted: Dead, smashed, crashed or trashed gauges
BMW GAUGE REPAIRS - TACH*SPEEDO*CLOCK*VOLT METER *PODs & LIGHT BOARD*
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #1372
Rucksta
SS Blowhard
 
Rucksta's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Gold Coast
Oddometer: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes

Why would you think that's not an R100R hub?



Do the cross spoked wheels have the ribs in the middle like the conventional hubs do?

I remember them to be chunkier and slightly concave but I may not have been paying attention.

Can you have a look at one of yours wirespokes and let me know please?
__________________
My bike is slow but the earth is patient.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #1373
wirewrkr
the thread-killer
 
wirewrkr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: HIGH desert
Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta


Do the cross spoked wheels have the ribs in the middle like the conventional hubs do?

I remember them to be chunkier and slightly concave but I may not have been paying attention.

Can you have a look at one of yours wirespokes and let me know please?
Here is a shot of the paralever wheel and hub from an R100R.
Same hub as a Mystic and a GS.
Looks like your mates wheel is a customized early wheel.
Kind of scary.
__________________

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!

wirewrkr screwed with this post 12-03-2010 at 11:17 PM
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #1374
Rucksta
SS Blowhard
 
Rucksta's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Gold Coast
Oddometer: 2,658
Simply scary the way this dude can make four go into three.

Any other ideas on using the large diameter axel on the conventional hub.
I might have mentioned to Lornce once upon a time I was looking at using a larger axel on my G/S. I hadn't considered a cross spoked hub and its a good option but I do like the look of the conventional hub.
__________________
My bike is slow but the earth is patient.

Rucksta screwed with this post 06-04-2010 at 05:29 PM
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #1375
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta
Simply scary the way this dude can make four go into three.

Any other ideas on using the large diameter axel on the conventional hub.
I might have mentioned to Lornce once upon a time I was looking at using a larger axel on my G/S. I hadn't considered a cross spoked hub and its a good option but I do like the look of the conventional hub.
Hog out the entire centre section of an aulde hub and shrink-fit the inner bit of a para hub? (if there's no room for a conventional single row caged ball?)



It dun't hafta' be rocket surgery!

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #1376
Rucksta
SS Blowhard
 
Rucksta's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Gold Coast
Oddometer: 2,658
Lornce

I think I'd go for a cross spoked hub before hacking into 2 hubs but I'll take a look at this.
First concern is once the centre section of a conventional hub is gone there's not much meat left on the shell to take the new core.
Of course the new core doesn't have to be from a para hub it could even be custom billet and I'm not committed to 4 bolt discs.

Thanks for an option.
__________________
My bike is slow but the earth is patient.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #1377
Just Dan
Bugger, Burnt toast
 
Just Dan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Oddometer: 1,873
Tasty R90s
__________________
13' kawasaki W800, Yep the twin
13' Skyteam Ace 125 BIG BORE
81' BMW R100 TIC
Old bikers don't get old by accident.
Just Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:12 AM   #1378
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous
 
Wirespokes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Jackson's Bottom Oregon
Oddometer: 8,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCardigan
Front from a K100
Looks like those are custom discs and carriers too.

Another possibility is using some sort of a modified axle arrangement and leaving the hub unmolested.
__________________
Wanted: Dead, smashed, crashed or trashed gauges
BMW GAUGE REPAIRS - TACH*SPEEDO*CLOCK*VOLT METER *PODs & LIGHT BOARD*
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #1379
Rucksta
SS Blowhard
 
Rucksta's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Gold Coast
Oddometer: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes
Looks like those are custom discs and carriers too.

Another possibility is using some sort of a modified axle arrangement and leaving the hub unmolested.
I don't know about the custom carriers but you have me curious now.
More head scratching required.
It seems the more I look at this bike the more questions I have.

Modified axle.
Are you thinking two piece axel threaded together in the middle to allow thick at the outsides thin in the middle, insert half an axle from each side, screw it together and clamp in forks?

Another posibility might be thin solid (or hollow) axle with a threaded section each end with threaded bosses to take the space between the axle and the fork clamp then lock the assembly together in the conventional manner.

Either option has got to be more elegant than hacking the hub.

Chris thanks for the photos I'm enjoying this an may even end up with a new axle assembly.
__________________
My bike is slow but the earth is patient.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:29 AM   #1380
McCardigan
happy Budda
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Back on the road again
Oddometer: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta
I don't know about the custom carriers but you have me curious now.
More head scratching required.
It seems the more I look at this bike the more questions I have.

Modified axle.
Are you thinking two piece axel threaded together in the middle to allow thick at the outsides thin in the middle, insert half an axle from each side, screw it together and clamp in forks?

Another posibility might be thin solid (or hollow) axle with a threaded section each end with threaded bosses to take the space between the axle and the fork clamp then lock the assembly together in the conventional manner.

Either option has got to be more elegant than hacking the hub.
Chris thanks for the photos I'm enjoying this an may even end up with a new axle assembly.

Hey Rucksta

Paul Rooney is just down the road from you. Trades under RJ's M/C service, at Canungra, 07-5543-5962.

BTW, Here is another mates K100 front end conversion on his R90S.

Sorry about the quality of the photo's, but they were taken pre digital days



__________________
Keep me searching for a heart of gold, and I'm getting old (Neil Young)
Still homeless, armless and legless,

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014