Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
Edmond Dantès OP
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 589
Have fun working dude while I ride your Harley!

Friday 2:40 pm.
I text my friend Sam while sitting by a beautiful lake - Have fun working dude while I ride your Harley!

2:46 pm.
Reply- Bastard

That's right dude and then some.

I like to ride a fat girl (or two) at the weekends and when the offer came up to ride a Fatboy my initial response was, no thanks not into that kinda thing.

The poor bike has been sitting around twiddling its thumbs since Sam and Holly started a family a few years back. Sam and Holly have two very adorable children.

Anabel (2) and Samantha (0.6 years)

Anabel, Sam and his beautiful wife Holly.

I have known Sam since way back when. He harks from the U.S State of Massachusetts. Back in the day he was known as the Minuteman. That had nothing to do with the war of Independence or anything like that. The girls around the Bay State used to call him that. I wonder why?

Admission: I have never ridden a Harley Davidson motorcycle before. How pathetic is that you ask? Pretty lame. I know.

Plan:
Commandeer said bike and see how it rides in the following locations: big city,freeway,twisting mountain roads,lake sides, Pacific ocean roads. Take a shit load of photos of the bike and every other motorcycle I come across.

Ride over to Sam's lock up.

First bike I see in the lock up is a GPZ750R. The dust! The dust! Once upon a time this was silver. Looks like Sam isn't the only one who doesn't get out much! This wouldn't be out of place in Miss Havisham's dining room.

The smaller brother of the once mighty GPZ900R, the bike Tom rode in Top Gun, the fastest production bike in the world at the time. Looks like this bike hasn't been ridden since Kenny Loggins was in the charts singing 'Playing With The Boys'. Yes, the bike 'Took My Breath Away' alright, it has given me an asthma attack.
I was gonna write 'Destination Unknown' on the tank with my pinkie but thought better of it.

Some other nice rides in the garage:

Come on Sam, show us your hog. Don't be shy.

Poor bike surrounded by vermin scooters.

The V&H pipes are calling Fatboy. Sam has a set of Vance and Hines but had to put the original pipes back on the bike to pass noise testing. The Vance and Hines badly need to go back on this bike. I know that, Sam knows that, you know that...

I am not gonna lie, I am excited!

The battery was as dead as the bird they ate on Mauritius.

BMW and Harley swap juices. Still wouldn't fire up. Just adds credence to the saying, white men can't jump.
Shoot off to the bike shop to get a new battery.
Some nice bikes on display:

Here comes the mechanic with the battery.

Bolted a new battery in the bike and it fired up right away.

Sam has a sit on his bike in case he never sees it again.

Don't worry dude, I'm on a mission from God.

It's Thursday afternoon,I have a tank full of gas, I don't smoke and I can't find my sunglasses. Let's have a ride around Tokyo.

Edmond Dantès screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 02:06 AM
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
tomcat0818
n00b

Oddometer: 2
That is a sweet ride your buddy has there. I think I could probably spend a couple of days just wandering around that shop. Thanks much for the pics!
tomcat0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,684
What a feast for the eyes!!

Indeed, let's go for a ride around Tokyo

Old 10-25-2009, 02:06 AM   #4
Edmond Dantès OP
The Kanto Pain

Headed to Odaiba to get a feel for the bike. Felt good to ride the bike over the Rainbow Bridge (1800 foot span).

The Sumida River runs under the bridge and empties itself into Tokyo Bay.

Odaiba gets its name from six artificial islands and cannon placements put in place in the mid 1800s. They were designed to defend Tokyo from a sea assault, particularly from Big Matt Perry's Black Ships.

I decide to do what any Harley rider would, and go to the KTM shop.

This bike must have infiltrated the KTM offices unnoticed..

How much is that doggy in the window? If you have to ask..

This masked salary-man doesn't seem to quite fit the Kato demographic.

These Adventure 990s are big ass bikes.

The shop next door is a bike rental place. You can rent by the hour. They used to have some good bikes in there, Busas, ZZRs, R1s and the like. Full of big vermin scooters now. 4,000 yen ($40) to rent a scooter for an hour. I asked the girl behind the counter if that was the amount they would pay me to ride it.
On ya bike mate was all she said.

Head back over the Rainbow(Bridge). Slow cars in my way.

I love these NSRs. If I was 3 feet tall, I would buy one.

Yokohama plates. Probably used for commuting.

Shibuya Scramble Crossing. There is a Starbucks Coffee shop straight ahead. I don't think the Harley has seen it. If I keep quiet I might get away with it.

Totally loving the speedo in MPH. Screw the metric system!

Pretty in Pink

Exit Shibuya Enter Harajuku

Takeshita Dori. Famous for young kids shopping, Lolita fashion, cheap clothing, idol shops, 100 Yen store...

Yamanote Harajuku St.

Hang a left into Omotesando Dori

Heavy traffic, enough already. I'm off home. Lot of riding tomorrow.

Edmond Dantès screwed with this post 10-30-2009 at 03:26 AM
Old 10-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
GrFa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Awesome pictures. I'm loving seeing a Harley where everything is so small and congested. So....how are you liking your first HD ride?
GrFa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
liceyscrub
ADV rider(mostly solo)

Oddometer: 111
Wink

Fitting in is overrated. You got to put the other pipes on the bike. Rules were meant to be broken.
liceyscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,392
Love it! I'm going to ship my fatboy to Japan now
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
Edmond Dantès OP
The Kanto Pain

Quote:
Awesome pictures. I'm loving seeing a Harley where everything is so small and congested. So....how are you liking your first HD ride?
Heavy slow moving traffic obviously isn't the place these bikes were designed to be ridden. You sacrifice some of your bike privileges, filtering through stopped traffic, maneuverability, etc. But if you are little more patient it's no real problem riding in the big smoke.

I am impressed with the belt drive instead of chains. No 'chain slap' at walking pace speed.

I have the freeway sections of the ride yet when the bike will come into its own.

The ergonomics on the bike are really very very good for a man of my size. I am surprised these bikes are not praised more on the comfort side of things.

Ten hour + days on the bike and no aches or pains.

Quote:
Fitting in is overrated. You got to put the other pipes on the bike. Rules were meant to be broken.
I hear ya! I am a 6 foot 8 inch foreigner in a country notorious for having to 'fit in'. I think some part of the huge popularity of Harleys in this part of the world is the need to be different felt by a lot of kids and adults alike.

The V&H pipes were taken off the bike in order to pass the vehicle test every two years. My buddy just hasn't had the time to swap them back over.He doesn't even want to ride the bike with the stock pipes on! I was going to do it but wasn't sure about the ins and outs involved. Do I need any special tools, gaskets, re-map the fuel injection?
The bike needs to be tested again in January next year so that was another factor involved.
The stock pipes suppress that wonderful guttural sound these machines produce.
I did ride the bike for about 10 minutes with the V&H pipes on years ago.

Having said all that, the motor in the bike is awesome. I love the way the engine produces power. Excellent gear ratios in a smoother than I expected gear box. Love the slow manipulation of clutch, gears, throttle. So cool.
Again wonderful sitting position. Brilliant place to sit and watch the world go by.

If I had to nit-pick: Clutch is a tad on the heavy side, the front brake a little weak, and the horn a little close to the left turn switch. I have announced my intention to turn left rather loudly on a couple of occasions.

The bikes are head turners and garner respect. Cagers keep their distance.

These machines are like crack cocaine, one hit on them and your are hooked. I can really see how people get fanatical about the bikes.

It seems I have exceeded my bandwidth and according to photobucket my pics will not be displayed until the 1st of Oct. Bummer, I am going to have to put this RR in neutral for a week unless anyone has any suggestions.

Edmond Dantès screwed with this post 10-27-2009 at 05:32 AM
Old 10-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

Oddometer: 982
I love to see pictures of Harley's in Japan, I wonder if the Japanese like seeing pictures of Honda's in the USA.

Cool pictures, thanks for posting and show us more!
SGrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #10
Edmond Dantès OP
The Kanto Pain

Quote:
I love to see pictures of Harley's in Japan, I wonder if the Japanese like seeing pictures of Honda's in the USA.

Cool pictures, thanks for posting and show us more!
SGrider, can you see any pictures at the moment? I have a bandwidth exceeded message coming up.

I'll ask some Japanese people your question and see what they say !
Old 10-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

Oddometer: 982
I can see the pictures just fine.
SGrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
Brimard
Watch the Potholes

Oddometer: 93
Oh redlining the bandwidth I see! Very exciting! Less vibration that a Harley at redline!
Brimard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #13
clarkebd
Huh?

Oddometer: 819
Man, all those Harleys look the same to me....

all the same image I see.
(bandwidth exceeded )

98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV - SOLD

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
clarkebd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Thanks, cause I believed I miss some updates of my photosoftware. . .

dä rumtreibär
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #15
Edmond Dantès OP
The Kanto Pain

Quote:
I can see the pictures just fine.
Yes! Jesus H. Tap-dancing Christ... I have seen the light!

The pics are back.

I now have a bandwidth powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline.