User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
Scrivens OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII oil filter?

I have a MkIII Spitfire on the way and want to fit an oil filter kit. Not a lot of (useful) info on the net about them, so a few questions:

Which is preferable (or does it matter) - MAP or the Goff-style spin-on kit?
Can the Goff be fitted without removing the engine to get at the rear bracket to fit the mount?

Do the kits give sufficient pressure relief or is another valve needed?

I've heard mention of blocking the rocker feed and using a T junction from the filter - what is this about?

The engine has had a total rebuild and has only been run for a short time to test, so all the internals are clean. I'll be probably be fitting a Pazon kit with the twin coils mounted on the frame above the gearbox and is this likely to interfere with the lines to the filter?
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
ChopHawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
go to BritBike.com. ask over there, a ton of info, plus there is BSA specific section. thats where I go for all the info I need for my 1967 BSA Thunderbolt and 68 Spitfire
ChopHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Beezer Josh
Disgruntled Minion

Oddometer: 800
I fitted a spin on filter on my 70 Lightning. I made a simple bracket from some sort of bar stock from Home Depot and a drill. I had to get at one of the rear engine bracket bolts to install it, but I don't remember it being too much a pain.

I also blocked off the rocker feed coming out of the engine. Instead, I put a T junction in the return side of the filter so the rockers are getting good, clean, filtered oil. If you want pictures of my setup, I might be able to take some in the next few days.
Beezer Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
Scrivens OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks fellows. I've been on Britbike but there is surprisingly little about the filters for the earlier A65s apart from a few pics of them in situ. Not even any links to suppliers and a google search has only turned up Goff and MAP. I'd prefer to put one of the Goff spin-off types on if it can be done without too much fuss, and I can fabricate a bracket without any dramas.

The bike is still in transit and won't hit the workshop here for a week or two, but I may take you up on the photos offer if I can't work it out after a good look. The Spitfire is an unridden ex-museum exhibit and had a total NOS parts rebuild to 'as new' some years back but I'm hoping that the pistons are modern 9:1 jobs and not the high-comp originals. I'm a long time AJS/Matchless singles bloke and it has been a while since I had a twin to play around with.
Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM   #5
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Talking

I use the MAP filter. Guess it really doesn't matter which one you use, it is just nice to have real live filtered oil .

On my 68 Lightning, the filter is mounted on the RH side using one of the side cover bracket bolts (the bolt that holds the bracket to the frame). The MAP tucks in under the side cover and behind the air cleaner. If you don't know it is there, you will never see it.

I drilled the outlet fitting on the MAP filter and soldered in a short piece of tubing to connect the top end feed line so I get filtered oil to the rockers. Older BSA's (all pre-unit and early unit) had the top end oil feed at the tank return, so no need to alter the top end oil feed arrangement.

All of my BSA's have MAP filters installed. Again, no good reason, but why keep multiple oil filters on the shelf when a single type of filter will work in any of my bikes.

You can also hide the MAP filter fairly well with the RH muffler if you choose to mount the filter off the RH pillion footrest.
Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM   #6
Scrivens OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The MAP looks very neat and my only concern with them is the size. They look to be about the same size as the filters I used on the AJS but the old singles have less oil circulating.

My brother is an old Lightning boy but I've always preferred the Thunderbolt (hate synching carb cables) and have been looking for another one of those in good nick for ages, but the Spitfire was too rare an opportunity to pass up. I've owned a good number of BSAs over the years, but never a Triumph for some reason.
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM   #7
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
The MAP uses the same filter as the RIII's & Tr*dent's used. So capacity is not an issue.

I've had a couple of Triumphs, actually miss the TR5T, that was a sweet bike, but the rest have almost always been BSA. Just prefer them for some reason