Old 02-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #1561
305racer
Fossil Rocket Pilot

Oddometer: 472
Old 02-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #1562
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Nope, not even close. The one i had was much better designed, and had a solid rear pivot arm that both wheels attatched to, and a solid frame all the way around the bike. Wasnt nearly as long as the first two you linked. The third is just a regular tote gote :o
Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #1563
OldSchoolMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
My '75 R90S

Bought this just a few months ago with 23k miles on it. All stock except for a couple of period-correct upgrades: Koni shocks, Teleflex fork brace, oil temp gauge on dipstick. I added a pair of Dunstall-replica mufflers.

I've put ~3500 miles on it, including this weekend ride through Arkansas in October. A friend had one just like this in 1975 and I've lusted after exactly this bike ever since. I love it!

OldSchoolMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #1564
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Oddometer: 1,240
My first (and current) bike

For those who don't frequent the "Adventure in Ohio" thread, here's my 1980 GS850G that I acquired in January. Both getting it and revamping it has been on a shoestring budget and yet it still looks pretty decent.

Before:

After:
Sparkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #1565
Billyboy
GS'er (The Suzuki kind)

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkster
For those who don't frequent the "Adventure in Ohio" thread, here's my 1980 GS850G that I acquired in January. Both getting it and revamping it has been on a shoestring budget and yet it still looks pretty decent.

Before:

After:
That's a cool ride, Sparkster! My GS has the same bags, minus the guards, I took 'em off. Pics in the last page.

"That licks balls. But I can't just stand around all day getting my balls licked. I've got shit to do!"
Billyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #1566
Jinx
Call me Renzo

Oddometer: 10,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10rat
What a beauty!!
I always liked it
This guy Lord Hesketh produced only very few right?
I think he got inspired by Ducati (reminds me of the darmah)
Great style and components
I bet it must be fun to ride
As I recall, His Lordship was heavily involved in racing back in the 1970's, first F2 and then F1, with his race shop in the converted stables of his estate. As part of that effort they were one of the top engine builders for the Cosworth DFV that were ubiquitous of that era.

Hesketh is remembered as one of the rare few that actually seemed to enjoy F1, and pretty much everything else he did.

I think the Hesketh Motorcycle engine is closer to an air-cooled slice of a Cosworth DFV than a Ducati.

What killed it was that the early gearbox was a complete disaster (pity he didn't just copy the Kawasaki Z-1 gearbox, which was plenty strong enough). By the time they sorted it all out the possibility of any sort of large-ish scale production had passed, so they soldiered on and made about 100 originals until the Bankers stepped in and the whole episode ended in tears in the finest GBW* tradition.

Almost: In the best "Great British Looney" tradition, others, (with some back-door help from Hesketh), acquired a good bit of the original tooling, continued to make improvements, provided spares, and even built the occasional new motorcycle.

Beautiful machines

*Great British Worldbeater

"You remind me of the monkey with the jerk-off button, starving to death at the switch." - Chopperman

"I didn't know how many assholes it was going to take to piss me off, but I knew how many they were going to use" - collaboratori

Jinx screwed with this post 02-07-2008 at 09:32 PM
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #1567
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyboy
That's a cool ride, Sparkster! My GS has the same bags, minus the guards, I took 'em off. Pics in the last page.
thanks! I'm not quite done since you mention it. I picked these up today and plan to replace the Shoei's with 'em:

($8 ea. at a local surplus store)

And then I'll be sorely tempted to go with an olive drab rattle-can job on the bike itself. Not too sure about that, though.
Sparkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:30 AM   #1568
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
As I recall, His Lordship was heavily involved in racing back in the 1970's, first F2 and then F1, with his race shop in the converted stables of his estate. As part of that effort they were one of the top engine builders for the Cosworth DFV that were ubiquitous of that era.

Hesketh is remembered as one of the rare few that actually seemed to enjoy F1, and pretty much everything else he did.

I think the Hesketh Motorcycle engine is closer to an air-cooled slice of a Cosworth DFV than a Ducati.

What killed it was that the early gearbox was a complete disaster (pity he didn't just copy the Kawasaki Z-1 gearbox, which was plenty strong enough). By the time they sorted it all out the possibility of any sort of large-ish scale production had passed, so they soldiered on and made about 100 originals until the Bankers stepped in and the whole episode ended in tears in the finest GBW* tradition.

Almost: In the best "Great British Looney" tradition, others, (with some back-door help from Hesketh), acquired a good bit of the original tooling, continued to make improvements, provided spares, and even built the occasional new motorcycle.

Beautiful machines

*Great British Worldbeater
Thanks for the history lesson Jinx

I swear I never heard of those bikes.
When did they make them? They look like '80's types.
Trailing Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:31 AM   #1569
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Jack
Thanks for the history lesson Jinx

I swear I never heard of those bikes.
When did they make them? They look like '80's types.
Go to bed.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:34 AM   #1570
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon
Go to bed.
What are you doing up??
I just got off work 4 hours ago...
Old 02-09-2008, 01:35 AM   #1571
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Jack
What are you doing up??
I just got off work 4 hours ago...
Can't sleep. I must be getting old.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:36 AM   #1572
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon
Can't sleep. I must be getting old.
Hear that... check your pm's. No sense highjacking this one.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:49 AM   #1573
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,389
Me with my 1973 Norton 850 Commando I've had for almost 30 years.
It's an original condition bike. My dad with his 1967 BMW R60 in the background.

2014 Yamaha FZ9
1973 Norton Commando & other old stuff
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #1574
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,503
This is a sidecar outfit we worked with last year. It is a Triumph Trident with a much modified Cozy sidecar on it. We did the sidecar modification and mounting part but the owners, John and Angel, did the rest.

Picture was taken at the ISOK Sidecar RON DEE VOO last year where Angel won the people's choice award.

John's Norton can be see on the background. Wish I had a better picture of it.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:55 PM   #1575
Byrd-Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Northwest Airhead

This is my R100/7 I just got off the bench. I have restored it with a few modifications for northwest riding. We have a lot of fire roads in Washington and our backroads are filled with some epic potholes. I beefed up the suspension, braced the forks, put GS bars for a more comfortable riding position. I put a 37/11 ratio rear end for snappier cornering and acceleration, braced the rear swing arm and put a cush drive in it. Lightened the flywheel, put a motorrad elektric omega system on it and few few hundred other things. Still have the body work to finish.

Cheers,
[IMG]file:///Volumes/700GB%20Disk1/Personal/Motorcycles/R100:7%20Reconstruction/R100_overview.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]file:///Volumes/700GB%20Disk1/Personal/Motorcycles/R100:7%20Reconstruction/R100_overview.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Images

Byrd-Man is offline   Reply With Quote