Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #6841
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooweel View Post
UBER FOOKIN FUNKY! I agree

1967 R69s, Kawasaki 900 Brakes up front, Glaser #44 fairing which I just found out is a " T S " model, tail section was made by some guy in Van Nuys Ca., has been in a garage under cover since 1984, he bought it from Browns BMW in Pomona Ca.. The guy I picked it up from was kind enough to tell me his time with the bike, what he did to it over almost 40 years he has had it. Decided it was time to let it go.
So you now have two BMVWs???? How did the e-start 2180 come out?
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #6842
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
So you now have two BMVWs???? How did the e-start 2180 come out?
I didn't do it to that bike. I decided to leave the Butterfield in stock configuration. I want to do it to this newest bike instead.

I know it doesn't make any sense but I actually have three of them.

was in the process of Cafe-ing the bike at this time. It ended up with a cool all metal bitchin little 1/4 fairing when done. right now tho its going back to like the first pic. Here it was in the back of my CC while in the middle of the switch.

My sidecar rig

As seen above

ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #6843
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
I didn't do it to that bike. I decided to leave the Butterfield in stock configuration. I want to do it to this newest bike instead.

I know it doesn't make any sense but I actually have three of them.

You have a sickness! Don't get better!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #6844
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
You have a sickness! Don't get better!

I know!

Funny you say that. I told a guy I may pull the splashed in red one on a trailer behind the hack and his words were "You're sic Dood" shaking his head in agreement.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #6845
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,566
Man, those are some sweet machines! If my conversion ever sees the light of day again, I hope it's half as cool as those. If you had some detailed shots of the frame/engine support, I'd be interested to see as the way mine is bolted up isn't exactly confidence-inspiring.

Found sitting in a barn in Oklahoma for decades:

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #6846
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
Man, those are some sweet machines! If my conversion ever sees the light of day again, I hope it's half as cool as those. If you had some detailed shots of the frame/engine support, I'd be interested to see as the way mine is bolted up isn't exactly confidence-inspiring.

Found sitting in a barn in Oklahoma for decades:

From the pic it looks like you dont have down tubes? Hard to tell? If the motor is used as a stressed member? Only one guy I know built those and he is Helmut Busack aka "Ham". I have seen a few pic's of his bikes.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #6847
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,566
Quote:
If the motor is used as a stressed member?
I do have down tubes. The upper part of the frame was cut out and replaced with a longer tube and the motor is used as a stressed member for the bottom of the frame. The two loops come down and bolt to the front of the motor, and the frame continues again off the back of the motor. That just looks scary to me, but I've never seen another in person so I was wondering if it's the "right" way to make these.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #6848
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
I do have down tubes. The upper part of the frame was cut out and replaced with a longer tube and the motor is used as a stressed member for the bottom of the frame. The two loops come down and bolt to the front of the motor, and the frame continues again off the back of the motor. That just looks scary to me, but I've never seen another in person so I was wondering if it's the "right" way to make these.

I have NO IDEA who this guy is? It is a pic of a recent find of a "Ham's Cycle" frame modifications I have that I could show you for what ever that is worth.

Does it look like this? All the other pic's are black and white and don't show the down tubes very well. This one was just found late last year. Helmut is still alive. This was written on his behalf in June of 2010. He may be the very first guy to do the VW swap to BMW?

This is what was posted.

"My name is Helmut (Ham) Busack of Ham's Cycle. I still have my first two VW bikes. Are you only interested in snail mail pictures? Let me know and I will get you some current pictures and old pictures as well. I was born in Berlin Germany in 1942 and moved to the US when I was 14. I built my first VW bike when I was 18 which was the first 1200 engine with electric start and was a four speed. Between the first two bikes, I have over 100,000 miles on them. They're still running.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Ham"

If you want to contact him? PM me I can lead you to him.

ooweel screwed with this post 07-26-2012 at 11:13 AM
Old 07-27-2012, 01:30 AM   #6849
Ryushin Kan
kancho

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
I have NO IDEA who this guy is? It is a pic of a recent find of a "Ham's Cycle" frame modifications I have that I could show you for what ever that is worth.

Does it look like this? All the other pic's are black and white and don't show the down tubes very well. This one was just found late last year. Helmut is still alive. This was written on his behalf in June of 2010. He may be the very first guy to do the VW swap to BMW?

This is what was posted.

"My name is Helmut (Ham) Busack of Ham's Cycle. I still have my first two VW bikes. Are you only interested in snail mail pictures? Let me know and I will get you some current pictures and old pictures as well. I was born in Berlin Germany in 1942 and moved to the US when I was 14. I built my first VW bike when I was 18 which was the first 1200 engine with electric start and was a four speed. Between the first two bikes, I have over 100,000 miles on them. They're still running.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Ham"

If you want to contact him? PM me I can lead you to him.

Sometimes you wonder where Honda got the idea for the first Goldwings......
Ryushin Kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #6850
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin Kan View Post
Sometimes you wonder where Honda got the idea for the first Goldwings......
When you talk to the old timers about this, they say that once the Goldwing came out there was no need to make a conversion any more out of a /2
Old 08-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #6851
gemara
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
My 1961 R69S with 29.000 miles on.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #6852
NitroMax
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
When you talk to the old timers about this, they say that once the Goldwing came out there was no need to make a conversion any more out of a /2
Of course there is ! Just for the coolness of it
1200 cc Z1000 dragbike (1976)
300 cc MZ transporthack (1989) winterhack
900 cc BMW R 90/6 hack ( 1976) summerhack
750 cc BMW K 75 RT ( 1993 ) daily driver

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter ( Mark Twain )
NitroMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #6853
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroMax View Post
Of course there is ! Just for the coolness of it
I agree and easier to work on too.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #6854
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,742
1967 Honda CD125A..... this was a barn find 1 year ago. Recenlty won, "best Asian bike" at the Manitoba Antique and Classic Bike Rally.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #6855
skeptic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
That is one beautiful bike! In H.S. I had a Honda Benly Touring as I could not afford the CB160's my friends had. I had no idea Honda used the Benly, frame telescopic forks and CB tank to make such a beautiful bike.