Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2011, 05:36 AM   #31
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,046
Figured I'd throw this clip in this thread, too.

A quick look at my first season of riding the KLX450R...

My Photos In Google Earth

DRZ400SK4 screwed with this post 01-17-2011 at 08:36 AM
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #32
OcoeeG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Reliability, Maintenance and Longevity

Hey KLX 450r guys,
Most of you have been running these things since 08-09. How are they holding up, what is the maintenance like on them and have they been as reliable as you have hoped. 09`s are still available for a steal and was thinking about getting one. I would like it for a 50/50 dirt/around town cruiser. Is it suitable for this with the proper mods and the right tires? I know it is not IDEAL for this but would it work? I want something that is fun and rather capable in the dirt, but I can cruise over to a buddies house on as well.
Thanks in advance

OcoeeG screwed with this post 01-18-2011 at 07:59 AM
OcoeeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #33
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Can someone please tell me with 100% certainty what year model did the KLX450R came out in the US? I'm planning on buying one and I thought 08 was the first model, but a Kawasaki dealer is telling me that he has an 07 left behind brand new on his floor! Is this possible? Also is there a way to track back the manufacturing date with the serial number? Thanks for your help.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #34
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Can someone please tell me with 100% certainty what year model did the KLX450R came out in the US? I'm planning on buying one and I thought 08 was the first model, but a Kawasaki dealer is telling me that he has an 07 left behind brand new on his floor! Is this possible? Also is there a way to track back the manufacturing date with the serial number? Thanks for your help.
In North America, 2008 was the first year for the KLX450R, but they were released for sale during 2007.

Quote:
Hey KLX 450r guys,
Most of you have been running these things since 08-09. How are they holding up, what is the maintenance like on them and have they been as reliable as you have hoped. 09`s are still available for a steal and was thinking about getting one. I would like it for a 50/50 dirt/around town cruiser. Is it suitable for this with the proper mods and the right tires? I know it is not IDEAL for this but would it work? I want something that is fun and rather capable in the dirt, but I can cruise over to a buddies house on as well.
Thanks in advance
My 09 has been though hell and back and has been holding up very well. No failures, always starts first on the button when hot, but can be a little finicky when starting from cold. Mine's plated for the road, so I can connect trail networks. These are open course off road race bikes, so naturally they're not all that pavement friendly, but it's do-able for short distances...

While I'm posting, here's a few manitenance items I recently dug into...

I popped the lid and checked the valve clearances. Three of them were right in the middle of the spec range, which I was pleased to discover. The left side exhaust valve was just barely within spec, on the tight end of the scale, however, so I'll have to pay close attention to that one the next time I check 'em. It may just be the way it was set up at the factory, or it could be an indication that the seat is prematurely wearing on that side, and the valve is starting to recede.

Here's a few photos of the KLX450R top end, in case anyone's interested...

I pulled apart my steering stem, to inspect the bearings and repack them with some high-quality waterproof grease. I was pleased to discover the seals on the 450R are much more effective than the steering head seals were on my old DRZ400S. There's absolutely no indication of water infiltration or dirt inside the steering head at all. Pretty much surgically clean in there, with an adequate amount of grease applied on the assembly line. The bearings are in perfect shape.

Here's a few photos, for anyone who may be interested...

DRZ400SK4 screwed with this post 01-26-2011 at 11:09 AM
Old 01-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #35
hdsmiley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Bought mine fall of 08, 2k discount and easy financing. First new dirt bike since my 79 RM400.
Love how easy it is to ride, i am not near as good as I thought I was, but it inspiress confidence. I have the usual bling; MSR skid plate, Zeta guards, TM chain guide, I bought a couple of jets and it fixxed the starting issues I was having. Only have 500kms, as I was not sure of its dual sportability, but have decided that a heaveier more street worthy bike would just suck. I scored a TwoBros, slipon from a guy on thumpertalk, shipped from Cali to Ont.Can, $200, only had an hours use; can't wait to try it.
Since I bought it plated, a dual sport it will be, and a DRC rear light and mirror have been added.
Looking forward to spring, to get back on it, going to try a couple of camp outs in prep for the TCAT.
No rregrets, buy one if you can, get it tagged; even better
Later, HD
hdsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #36
Dograt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Klx450r in Tucson

Here are a couple of shots of my ride I bought in March 2010 with 1800 miles on it. Tires were pretend DS rubber so were flipped over to Dunlop 606 knobbys. I fabed the carrier from sheet aluminum. Maybe get around to a engine guard, but the OEM unit has been working OK. I think the suspension is a bit too stiff for the riding I do. I have had no problems with the electrics as the start button is magic and the battery is holding up well. Rode 250 miles last wekend and the 4.2 Gal Acerbis tank never went on reserve.
Dograt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #37
Weldit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Eek nasty trail

the south end of the Nippissing trail - near Huntsville On.

this pic was a couple years ago on my xr600r
Attached Images

Weldit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #38
Weldit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
now that I got the picture thing figures out here's my
Dual sported KLX450r 2008
not a highway machine but awesome for backroads and trails
Attached Images

Weldit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #39
foroffroaduseonly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I just picked up an 08 KLX450 and coming off a ktm525 i love the handling and lighter feel of the klx the suspension is great in the whoops and faster section of trial but in the rough stuff (which i ride a lot of) it is too harsh, especially the fork. I have the clickers almost all the way out.
Has anyone tried anything to make the front end track better in the rocks or smooth out the kick when you hit roots??
foroffroaduseonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #40
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Probably the only time she'll be clean this year, so I figured I better post a photo of her with the new FMF header and can...

Old 09-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #41
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Old 09-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #42
taosgsr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
My 2008

From web

I bought her in the end of 2007. She has and IMS desert tank, FMF power bomb head pipe and Q4 silencer. JD jetting and fuel screw. An emissions elimanator kit. Race tech springs and valving. Cycra pro bend hand guards and a TM designworks chain guide. The Sprag clutch broke last fall and seized the motor, simple fix and still running strong.
The Picture is at the entrance to 5 miles of Hell, heavy bike for that trail but I was smiling all day.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #43
ZRX12
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Plating

I have an 08, jetted, sprung for my weight, exhaust.
I'm thinking of doin the Tn TAT next year but i dont know how to go about getting the bike plated in Alabama.
Does anybody have any guidance?
ZRX12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #44
Posaja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Thisi is my new KLX 450R modified by me during last winter.

KX 450F slim tank, Termignoni full titanium complete exaust system, Poletti fork and back spring, magura bar and hydraulik clutch conversion, carbon tubeless Alpina rim, Kite tripleclamps, footpegs, water connections, and hubs, Hammerheat brake and shift pedals, Ufo plastics, light and brake anticrash front lever, graphics and seat cover onboardracing.it, Kriega strips, oversize front brake and rear brake, green hydraulik areocable, air filter, skid plate and radiators renforcement, Ohlins stering dumper, GPS Voyager system, ergal and carbon here and there, the bike goes great!!

Posaja screwed with this post 01-12-2012 at 02:31 AM
Posaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #45
Posaja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
today I recived my Acerbis tank, I'm wondering to prepare a desert conversion kit with windstopper and low front fender, I will let you know if the progect will became real
Posaja is offline   Reply With Quote