User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Yamaha XT 600, what about it?

I found a low mileage '91 Yamaha XT 600. Are these good solid bikes for dual sport purposes?
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,502
Yes in big, heavy, tractor sort of way. They do well on the highway and about what you would expect offroad. My riding buddies had several. The one in the pic had a high mileage crankshaft failure after untold amounts of abuse. But it was the only one I remember ever having a serious issue.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,359
I had one for a short time. It was a newer e-start. Very nice, the biggest downside for me was the lack of aftermarket. Stuff is available, but nothing like a klr, dr650 or Honda.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,133
One of the toughest bikes ever made, the XT 600.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

are replacement parts hard to come by? what about bigger gas tanks and suspension mods?
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Old 10-29-2009, 05:16 AM   #6
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
I have a 2005 TT600RE. If the ’91 XT has an electric start it has the exact same engine as my bike, but the TT is more offroad oriented with more potent suspension exc..

The engine makes great low end power and torque. It does not have huge power and will not rev out far.

I have found the TT extremely low maintenance. I have not had it for long (6 months, maybe 10.000 km) but I have used it for everything, including hardcore offroad torture. No breakdowns. Big difference from the “modern” race-type bikes I have been riding since 2002.

I had an 1982 XT550 many years ago (it had an older version of the engine) and rode it HARD for 5 or 6 years. Low maintenance, no breakdowns. My friend still has his XT550, that bike proved reliable as well. Remarkable bikes.

IMHO the ’91 XT600 will not be the best offroad bike out there, and it will not be the best road bike either. But it will be a great do-it-all type of bike. And in my experience the reliability of the Yamaha air cooled thumpers is great.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:26 AM   #7
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Replacement parts are still mostly available

Basically zero aftermarket stuff

Clarke makes a tank through the 89 model

Exhaust you will probably have to roll your own from universal parts
Old 10-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

the gas tank seems small and if i get it would like more capacity. but the basic maintenance stuff I should be able to get? I am looking for a basic workhorse dual sport. Not a racer anymore, just want to ride on/off road, trails and fire roads.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,359
Acerbis makes a 6.6 gallon tank for that bike but it isn't available in the states. I think I was looking at about $450 to buy one and have it shipped here.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
Molgan
nub

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tosi
the gas tank seems small and if i get it would like more capacity. but the basic maintenance stuff I should be able to get? I am looking for a basic workhorse dual sport. Not a racer anymore, just want to ride on/off road, trails and fire roads.
The XT will do what you want, it's a wonderful low maintenance workhorse.
Molgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #11
JensEskildsen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
I think there is a lot of spare parts out there. They are VERY popular en germany, so use ebay.de for parts.

There's also suspensionparts out there, öhlins and such.

The xt is big, heavy, low powered, but super trusty. I've riddin 20.000km since last summer, love it.

JensEskildsen screwed with this post 10-30-2009 at 03:09 AM
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
cway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Just sold my 88 XT600 last spring with 35,000 on the clock never had a issue until I tried a large log crossing and broke the case. That is really the only issue I can find with these bikes. They have no lower frame under the engine the engine is the frame. The swing arm attaches to the rear of the case and the the skid plate attaches to four nubs on the bottom of the crankcase halves. I bought new case haves last summer and rebuilt the whole engine never had a problem finding parts the dealer was able to order everything I wanted. I would buy another without question.
cway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:36 AM   #13
dougfromindy
I smell premix

Oddometer: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by cway
Just sold my 88 XT600 last spring with 35,000 on the clock never had a issue until I tried a large log crossing and broke the case. That is really the only issue I can find with these bikes. They have no lower frame under the engine the engine is the frame. The swing arm attaches to the rear of the case and the the skid plate attaches to four nubs on the bottom of the crankcase halves. I bought new case haves last summer and rebuilt the whole engine never had a problem finding parts the dealer was able to order everything I wanted. I would buy another without question.

Where can I buy a nice skidplate? sos , please.
dougfromindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:07 AM   #14
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfromindy
Where can I buy a nice skidplate? sos , please.
They come with an aluminum one. TT's have one built into the frame. At least the 1st gen ones do. Not sure about the 2nd get XT's.

XT are a great do it all bike, but they don't do any one thing exceptional. Neglect them and they will leave you stranded. They vibrate, and things break.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:01 AM   #15
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Unless you are slamming through crazy bad rocks the stock one will do fine. The one on my XT350 was mounted the same way as the 600. After a couple Shenandoah 500 rock fests it looked like it had done mine clearing work. But never so much as a chip off an engine case. I suspect Cways incident was an isolated break.