User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #76
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
A few more Jailbreak "tweaks" to consider...

f.lux
Ever notice how people texting at night have that eerie blue glow? Or wake up ready to write down the Next Great Idea, and get blinded by your computer screen? During the day, computer screens look good—they're designed to look like the sun. But, at 9PM, 10PM, or 3AM, you probably shouldn't be looking at the sun.

F.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your iPhone's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.
It's even possible that you're staying up too late because of your iPhone. You could use f.lux because it makes you sleep better, or you could just use it just because it makes your iPhone look better. (Also available for your Mac.)

Edit: I really like this one. It's just kind of nice for it to warm the colors in the evening.

I give it two jkams:

SpringFlash
Activator based iPhone 4 LED flashlight. Default activation method is to double tap the power/sleep button. But you can assign any activator event to enable the LED torch for a bright LED flash light. To change the activation method, after installing and respringing, go to settings app, activator, and assign the flashlight to an action of your choice.

Edit: This one can be dangerous. If you accidentally double tap the power/sleep button or press it one too many times while you're putting the screen to sleep and shove your iPhone in your pocket you may inadvertently activate SpringFlash, not realize it, and be surprised to find out you've completely run your battery down without knowing it the next time you pull your phone out to use it. Don't ask me how I know this.
You can assign any activation method you want to this, but the power/sleep button was the big seller because you didn't have to unlock your iPhone in order to activate the flashlight. I've since removed this one from my iPhone.
This one gets one Muttpark.

SwipeSelection
A tweak to give you more control and an much, much easier method of selecting text.
Rather than try to describe it, here's a video of it in action. Warning: Annoying music.

Edit: After working with this one for months, I maintain it's worth jailbreaking your iPhone for this "tweak" alone.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple implement this as part of the iOS soon. Nearly everyone in who has jailbroken their iPhone is using it.

This one gets three ADVSalutes.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Xeraux screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 07:52 AM
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #77
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Here's a new "tweak" that's pretty handy...

CallTap

Allows you to assign a gesture to the contact screen. For instance, when you look up a contact you can set a "tap" to call that contact, a "long press" to send that contact a message, and so on... If you click the "Detailed View" indicator (the little blue circle with the arrow in it) you'll get the standard contact info and selections.

CallTap doesn’t append the home screen with any additional app icons but does come with its own preferences bundles that lives within the native Settings app.

In Cydia, it's called "CallTap", in the Settings app, it's called "ClickToCall".

Edit: This tweak only works when you scroll through your contacts. If you search for a contact, the tweak doesn't work with the result set.

This one gets two Hmmmms.

Edit: I use this one so little, that I'd honestly forgotten that I had installed it on my iPhone. Well, either that or it integrates so seamlessly that you forget that it's not "stock".

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Xeraux screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 07:51 AM
Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #78
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Here's one that I use pretty regularly...

SwipeAway

SwipeAway is a jailbreak tweak that simply allows you to close all the apps that are running on your iOS device by a single swipe in the task switcher. Just open up the task switcher, and the swipe up or swipe down (select in the settings) to close all the running apps.

That’s it, just swipe and all the apps are closed. There is only one setting, in which you can select between swiping up and swiping down to close all your apps.

I give this one two Freakies:

Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #79
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

In the spirit of speeding up and clearing up your iPhone...

iCleaner

http://www.redmondpie.com/icleaner-f...-unused-files/

Although some are naturally more economical than others when it comes to managing storage space on their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, I think most of us would agree that if we could top up our quota for a few extra songs, apps, games or video clips, we probably would.

There are many different things to try when freeing up those precious few megabytes of space, and although manually sorting through each file and app would seem the most logical method, this is time consuming, and because we’re becoming less and less inclined to perform tasks manually, this is where iCleaner – a Cydia tweak developed by Exile.90 – becomes of relevance.

Described as “the ultimate iPhone cleaning app,” you can either run it through a terminal app of your choosing, or simply tap on the home screen icon, although the latter does offer far less in terms of optimization. The app works like much CCleaner on Windows – it rids your device of unnecessary data – freeing it up for those extra music tracks, useful apps, or editions of Angry Birds.

iCleaner will eradicate any half-downloaded Cydia packages (if you’ve had a few failures in your time, then there will surely be many loose files knocking around behind that brown icon), as well as much of the older cache files and cookies forming a plaque-like mass off needlessness within your Mobile Safari app. You can pick and choose which apps it cleans up (if you’re going down the Terminal route), and it’s advised you select those apps you visit the most, since they are the likeliest to hold excess data. So if you spend a lot of time on Twitter, Facebook, or indeed Instagram, then pointing iCleaner in their directions will likely yield higher space improvements once the process is complete.

In some apps – particularly those such as Safari – you’ll probably want to pick and choose which aspects you want to remove as opposed to going in gung-ho, in which case you’ll need to download a terminal app from Cydia. For this purpose, we’d recommend MobileTerminal, and once you’ve downloaded it from Cydia, run it. Type in login root in order to gain root access, and then your password, which will be alpine by default. If you regularly SSH into your device, your root password should be altered to reduce your risk of somebody else obtaining access. To do so, type in “passwd” without the quotations, after which you’ll be prompted to type in and confirm a new password.

To run iCleaner, simply type “iCleaner” (again, without the quote marks), and you’ll be met with a set of options. The first option will analyze your apps, the second will clean them up. On my iPhone 4S, it discovered 4295 files totaling 242 MB, and deleted them. Considering it’s the 64GB model, the space isn’t particularly significant, but to me, having too much space is better than having potential space cluttered by what is essentially junk.

I use this one fairly regularly. I give it three John™s:

Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #80
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

For those of you who want access to their file structure...

iFile for iOS

The iFile app, compatible with jailbroken iPhones and iPads, is considered to be the best file manager available for iOS devices. With advanced features such as Dropbox integration and the ability to edit code on the go, iFile is a must have for any jailbroken user who likes to tinker with their device. iFile comes as a free of charge download with an unlimited trial version but also provides an option to purchase a license to unlock premium features.

I don't use this one much, but with Dropbox integration and the ability to use as a download manager with Chrome and other browsers, you owe it to yourself to at least get the free version.

I give this two Jacks:

Old 01-31-2013, 06:08 AM   #81
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

iOS 6/6.1 Jailbreak available on Sunday.

http://www.redmondpie.com/evasi0n-io...ely-this-week/

This is just in. The Evad3rs team have just announced Evasi0n, an iOS 6 / 6.1 untethered jailbreak tool for Windows, Mac and Linux. While the tool hasn’t been released yet, it is currently in final testing stages, and if a recent tweet of MuscleNerd is anything to go by, release is likely set for Sunday.

The announcement was made today on the official Twitter account of team Evad3rs, which consists of prominent iOS devs such as MuscleNerd, Pod2g, Planetbeing and Pimskeks.

The official evasi0n 6.1 jailbreak: evasi0n.com — Check regularly for updates! #evasi0n

Evasi0n will support all firmwares from iOS 6.0 through iOS 6.1, and will be compatible with following devices:

iPhone 5
iPhone 4S
iPhone 4
iPhone 3GS
iPad 4
iPad 3
iPad 2
iPad mini
iPod touch 5
iPod touch 4
Apple TV 2

The only device which is currently not supported is Apple TV 3.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #82
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Evasi0n Jailbreak Will Be Available For Download On Monday, February 4.

http://www.redmondpie.com/evasi0n-ja...ay-february-4/

Release date of the upcoming iOS 6.x untethered jailbreak has just been confirmed by the official Twitter account of the team Evad3rs. It’s coming on Monday, February 4, 2013.

@Evad3rs: Final count down toward tomorrow’s release has begun!

Planetbeing, who is a member of team Evad3rs, also confirmed the release date:

@Planetbeing: Yes, tomorrow is a concrete release date. It’s also the only release date we’ve ever given.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #83
scram1
Dark Knight

Oddometer: 141
best way

I've got an iPhone4 running 5.1.1, whats the best way to jailbreak so I can tether devices and do other cool groovy stuff. I haven't upgraded to the ios6 because I hear it's more difficult to jailbreak with a new os. true or false? oh, and I'm a mac guy, so I need mac friendly options.

riding is so much better than not riding
scram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #84
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 5,210
Go ahead and get 6.1 if you wnat.

This just came out.
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/04/...5-and-ios-6-x/

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #85
MikeinEugene
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,469
My brother just gave me an old iphone 3. I got AT&T to unlock it so I can try out T-mobil's $30/month no contract plan (unlimited data, text, 100 minutes).

It's running the latest I could get from Apple but none of the apps in the store work with it (don't have it with me so can't remember the OS version...4.x I think).

Would it do me any good to jailbreak this phone so I can get a newer OS installed?
MikeinEugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #86
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Here's a quick tutorial about how to jailbreak your iDevice using the new Evasi0n Jailbreak tool.

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-...w-to-tutorial/

The iOS 6 / 6.1 untethered jailbreak has now become a reality, thanks to the hard work from those involved in the newly formed Evad3rs jailbreak team. The release of the new userland-based Evasi0n jailbreak tool means that users now have an extremely efficient way of making a complicated background process seem extremely simple.

Supported devices:

As mentioned in our previous post, Evasi0n supports all 20+ variants of iOS devices, including the likes of iPhone 5, on iOS 6.0 through iOS 6.1. Apple TV 3 though is not supported.

Supported firmware versions:

iOS 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2, 6.1 are all supported.

Requirements:

A computer running at least Windows XP or above, Mac OS X v10.5 or above, Linux
An iOS device running iOS 6.x
A USB cable for connection your iOS device to your computer.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #87
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by scram1 View Post
I've got an iPhone4 running 5.1.1, whats the best way to jailbreak so I can tether devices and do other cool groovy stuff. I haven't upgraded to the ios6 because I hear it's more difficult to jailbreak with a new os. true or false? oh, and I'm a mac guy, so I need mac friendly options.

More difficult? True. Up until today, that is. From Sept. 2012 until yesterday, the only option has been a "tethered" jailbreak meaning that if you have to restart your iPhone it had to be connected to the computer to maintain your jailbreak.

Now, this new tool gives us an untethered jailbreak. The only way to remove the jailbreak on this one is to update the software or to do a factory restore.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #88
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinEugene View Post
Would it do me any good to jailbreak this phone so I can get a newer OS installed?
Unfortunately, no. A jailbreak is just a patched version of the current iOS software. You may be able to apply an older jailbreak to your iPhone, but you'll probably run into the same problem with the apps in Cydia.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #89
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Of course, the Cydia servers are so overloaded that it's impossible to download or restore any of your Cydia apps. It's going to be a week before I can get my iPhone set up again.

I at least got BiteSMS and SwipeSelection installed before Cydia stopped loading.

Xeraux screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 06:22 PM
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #90
Gimpinator
This is my Mom's cat

Oddometer: 1,096
Just did the Evasion 6.1 jailbreak on my iPhone 5. Xeraux is right that the Cydia servers are laboring hard, but I finally succeeded in getting iBlacklist loaded onto my phone.

At long last - an effective tool to rid myself of nuisance phone calls and text messages!

Looking forward to discovering all of the new tweaks and hacks. Up to now I've been a law-abiding iPhone user.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: