Old 10-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
moto-scoot bill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikataganai
*yawn*

astroturf.
MAYBE YOU NEED TO TAKE YOUR BIG WHEEL FOR A RIDE, AND GET SOME FRESH AIR?
moto-scoot bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #17
moto-scoot bill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Auto Vs Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoretro
IT IS AN AUTOMATIC.......

Too bad, I think there's a market a for quality built retro designed scoot but w/ a 4 stroke, 150-200CC manual trans. Mainland would not be my 1st pick but Taiwan should be able to do something nice.

Motoretro
I SEE IT AS A MOVE UP FOR PEOPLE THAT ARE NOW RIDING A 49CC AUTO SCOOTER. NOT FOR TRADITIONALISTS.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #18
motoretro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-scoot bill
I SEE IT AS A MOVE UP FOR PEOPLE THAT ARE NOW RIDING A 49CC AUTO SCOOTER. NOT FOR TRADITIONALISTS.
Perhaps you're right, although I'm not sure the traditional styling will appeal to the group you speaking of.

I personally love the styling, especially the solo seat/pillion pad version. Price is right...... I feel a less involved method of shifting would work for both traditionalists and modernists, perhaps a auto clutch with gearbox activated by push button gear change would be the best of both worlds. I'd buy one....

Motoretro
motoretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #19
moto-scoot bill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

the v words....vatican & vespa

sure enough.....some folks are going to compare it to their vespa. the styling is true to form the that marques older designs, but folks in asia have dominated scooter sales for years. they know how to ride. they break them, and they fix them.
i suggest that in the very near future, many asian scooters will be more reliable than a vespa. granted, they will never have the snob appeal of the vespa, but how many of their dealers can stand alone? the one in our city also sells 2 brands from taiwan.
to put an asian spin on an euro classic is paying homage to the classic style.
can you look at all of the big cruiser motorcycles from japan, and tell me that they did not copy the harley???
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #20
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
MAYBE YOU NEED TO TAKE YOUR BIG WHEEL FOR A RIDE, AND GET SOME FRESH AIR?
or loose some of that gratuitous flatulence there, Doogie.

Anyhow, Bill, please fill us in on the Adly's genesis as you can pry info out of your Rep buddy. I also like the styling and slab two-up seat. And I'm still a-waintin' on that 160cc upgrade thing on the madass 125!
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, and a Lifan CT 70 clone I forgot about...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #21
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Saw this over a year ago on Modern Vespa. There was much discussion about it, but only time will tell. So far every chinese/taiwanese scooter manufacturer that was going to "take the country by storm" has underwhelmed.

I'm a Vespa aficionado, and personally am not interested in chinese/taiwanese scooters, but I AM interested in some of the new scooters Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki are working on, as well as Genuine Scooters. Why? Because they all have a legacy, a commitment to the market beyond next year's numbers, and depth of support with dealer networks. Cheap scooter shops open up and close before I even have a chance to visit them, and their manufacturers have no representation.

I don't mind spending more for a scooter that has all I've mentioned above. Just my opinion.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #22
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Yep. PGO in Taiwan makes the Genuine line, except for the 2T Stella, which is from (I think) India. Had a PGO myself, and liked it. The only reason that I ever got a chance to see one was that they were being sold side-by-side with Vespas at a local dealer who was convinced of their worth.

Genuine, in Chicago, having found that they were quality machines, made a committment and sank the bux to establish a solid presence. That's the part (aside from QA issues) that the Red Chinese outfits don't get - investing capital for the long run.

The Big Four dealers around here are all carrying decent Taiwan scoots nowadays, and they, like the Genuine line, are slowly taking root because they are sold by real businesses with real mechanics, alongside other machines with proven credibility, and not out of abandoned gas stations or auto-parts store. Many Taiwan bikes have established a track record for reliability and quality of manufacture - that took time and money not mquickly recouped.

If this Adly, and other new Adlys, are what they say they are, then the market will respond. In these tough times, it's still gonna be an uphill fight. I wish them well - we'll all benefit from low-cost, high quality machines. We have three Hondas (two scoots) in our household, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy this nice little Adly ifin' it was as good as a Genuine...
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, and a Lifan CT 70 clone I forgot about...
Old 10-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #23
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

from Scooter-news.com -

http://scooter-news.com/index.php/en...la-vita-update

So; EFI system from Taiwan, bike from the Mainland?
Old 10-30-2009, 03:53 AM   #24
kdude
orgasmatron engineer

Oddometer: 2,019
While its not a bad attempt to clone a vespa there are gazillion of clones that i saw while travelling in Asia..

The one thing about a Vespa that i have not seen yet is like a Ducati or other exotic bike the Vespa has SOUL ...

I still wish the guys who put that scoot together the best of luck and really do hope that there scooter has a place in the scooter world..
Old 10-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #25
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Yeppers, I could indeed be interested!

Though I find myself asking if the Stella will be just as competively priced..... and, if either one of these two will be made available to those of us in California(?). (I could care less if I hafta shift, no prob')

Why am I attracted to the new ChinaScoot (or the Stella)?

* I want an iconic appearance of the timeless Vespa.
* I'm NOT rich enough to pay the coverage charge for a real Vespa.
* I want four stroke.
* I want freeway legal (freeway capable would be nice too).
* I want the availability of chrome trim & crash bars.
* I don't want the diminutive size of a Genuine Buddy......

I'll be watching for one of these too!
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #26
moto-scoot bill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

getting the Adley guys to chime in

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandmoto
or loose some of that gratuitous flatulence there, Doogie.

Anyhow, Bill, please fill us in on the Adly's genesis as you can pry info out of your Rep buddy. I also like the styling and slab two-up seat. And I'm still a-waintin' on that 160cc upgrade thing on the madass 125!
i will be seeing the Adley / Hammer Head sales rep. in the next few days.

the MadAss big bore 160cc project is well along in the development stages. it was nowhere near as easy as the smaller MadAss 50 engine to get parts to match the design of the stock engine. we are machining parts to make the big bore kit fit. it helps to have 2 mechanical engineers on our staff !
Old 10-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #27
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
i will be seeing the Adley / Hammer Head sales rep. in the next few days.

the MadAss big bore 160cc project is well along in the development stages. it was nowhere near as easy as the smaller MadAss 50 engine to get parts to match the design of the stock engine. we are machining parts to make the big bore kit fit. it helps to have 2 mechanical engineers on our staff !
Bill, the Scooter-news article implied that the bike/engine would be Mainland China, the EFI components Taiwanese. No problem with any of that for me, assuming that the Mainland people will use quality steel for fasteners and connectors.

Case in point - I have a clone CT70 made by the biggest bike manufacturer in Mainland China. It is a solid machine, the engine is terrific, but the smallest and simplest parts keep failing - the two axle adjusters have just stripped-out after 300 miles. I've ordered OEM Honda replacements for like $3 each, but that ain't the point: one of the biggest bitches China scoot buyers have is failure of the very small bits because of inferior materials.

I really like the looks of the new Adly - if I had five minutes with an Adly rep, I'd rant about making sure that the nuts and screws are decent quality metal. Presumably, Adly itself is concerned enough to keep the Mainland manufacturer on point about this.

Re: the 160cc Madass - Man, product development can be a bitch - I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #28
moto-scoot bill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

start with the right parts....no cheap stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandmoto
Bill, the Scooter-news article implied that the bike/engine would be Mainland China, the EFI components Taiwanese. No problem with any of that for me, assuming that the Mainland people will use quality steel for fasteners and connectors.

Case in point - I have a clone CT70 made by the biggest bike manufacturer in Mainland China. It is a solid machine, the engine is terrific, but the smallest and simplest parts keep failing - the two axle adjusters have just stripped-out after 300 miles. I've ordered OEM Honda replacements for like $3 each, but that ain't the point: one of the biggest bitches China scoot buyers have is failure of the very small bits because of inferior materials.

I really like the looks of the new Adly - if I had five minutes with an Adly rep, I'd rant about making sure that the nuts and screws are decent quality metal. Presumably, Adly itself is concerned enough to keep the Mainland manufacturer on point about this.

Re: the 160cc Madass - Man, product development can be a bitch - I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.
what i have been told is that the fastners are almost completely stainless steel. the frame has been tested from several manufactures, and the one that they went with was the best, and was powder coated. the real metal trim , and chrome has been very well tested against corrosion also.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:05 AM   #29
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

stainlesss...now you're talkin'! Waiting to hear your personal take on your first hands-on riding experience, and professional opinion of the quality.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:23 AM   #30
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys

* I want an iconic appearance of the timeless Vespa.
* I'm NOT rich enough to pay the coverage charge for a real Vespa.
There's nothing half about getting something iconic. Its either an iconic model or a poor copy (not technically, but aesthetically). Nobody ever mistook a Hyundai Tiburon for a Ford Mustang. So just buy a lightly used Vespa and be done with it. Sure there are some people selling "vintage" models for too much, but there are plenty of reasonably priced newer models out there.

For instance, an '09 S 150 for $2500.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote