User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
nolleman OP
Child Prodigy

Oddometer: 55
Advice needed. R100GSPD Panniers

So, I'm thinking about upgrading from my stock BMW cases to something newer. Which way to go? Are Zegas worth the money? I like the black Gobi's but have not heard much about them. I don't like the Jessies at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
nolleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
jdmetzger
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 2,747
I went with Caribou cases a while back. I got lucky and have the custom rack for my GSPD that they no longer produce.

They now offer a Hepco Becker-mounted system for their bags that should work on your GSPD since those are Hepco racks (they show a photo of a PD with mounted bags in their Hepco Becker ALS system PDF though I'm sure they can quickly verify that it will work for you). That means you can use your existing rack and save some cash. They have a few different case options on their site.

I've been happy with my cases - no leaks or anything like that, and they don't dent when you tip over off-road... not that it's even happened to me.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
elmontanero
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,595
I've got the Zega's on my 1150. Along with the internal bags for gear and you will want to coat the Aluminum. They are great for getting things in and out, but I strongly prefer a hinged lid to the latches. Tops are replaceable when you lose one... yes you are likely to lose one and they're overpriced when you do.

(I've lost lids. With the internal retainers that TT sells, with cables that I've put in place to what TT sells, now using an external Safety wire from stage lighting that I swiped off a... well you get the idea. Now I can't loose lids.)

There are cheaper versions available that are as functional. I've a friend that used Alpos boxes for a PanAmerican trip... they lasted just fine. I've got two forty something liter of them in my Garage should I ever create a rear subframe for the R80 to incorporate them. Let me know if you'd want them. They are hinged on one end, can be used with locks, impossible to lose the lid... did I mention that you won't ever have to buy an extra lid?
Old 02-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,885
I have Zega, and like em, but some will say they are expensive crap. I've managed to not comletely destroy them, and thats saying something, for me. That alone should be their marketing strategy. "Hey Stagehand didnt competely trash them in ten minutes" :lol I've lost lids, too, but tether them, now. They hold a ton of crap. I use them as my racing tool boxes, malles moto style. They are poundable back into shape. I like em for touring, they are great camp seats, and tool trays, camera platforms.
If I had to do it again, I might consider soft luggage for the one time that the things trap my ankle

They take stickers well, also.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
A few questions of personal preference may get you started down the decision tree:

1 - Top-load or side-load? Some people have strong preferences and this decision eliminates a number of possibilities. Side-load offer better access but can be a bit more awkward loading, etc.

2 - Material? Also dictates top or side-load for the most part.

3 - Complete system or home made? By home made, I'm suggesting the idea of taking an existing box of some kind (Pelican, etc.) and adding mounting hardware to attach to your BMW racks.

I mounted Samsonite suitcases and then a Pelican top case on my bike and used them for 80K miles - they survived some crazy abuse. I recently converted the side cases to Pelicans but still think about going with top-loading aluminum cases.

On the Columbia river...
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,963
Theres a few UK based pannier makers that ship round the world

http://www.projectvnd.com/

Ardcases are going down a storm with UK adventure bike riders. around a third of the price of Touratech http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...light=ardcases

Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,472
I had some happy trails on my 93 gs. I liked them alot. Nicely made!

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,313
I would go with the Caribou luggage. Hepco Becker's have weak latches and they make the bike really wide.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
nowhereman
I'm lost -don't follow me

Oddometer: 387
here's my review of the Happy Trails panniers. I like mine fine. If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably use the Touratech racks with the Happy Trails bags. If you read through my review, you'll see why.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378754

And here they are with a liberal application of Reflexite railroad tape - I'm bright as the sun now (and I look like a chuckwagon commercial)

Day time :

Night time :

nowhereman screwed with this post 02-20-2011 at 02:06 PM
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,656
I went through a few iterations of alu panniers and ended up back with the stock ones (when I had my GS... ) Easy on, easy off. Surprisingly rugged for what the bike is capable of.

If I was going more off-road, more remote than "normal" for a GS, I'd personally stick with soft luggage, as the weight penalty and potential crash damage is just so high for the hard-sided stuff. Andy Strapz, Wolfman, something like that.

I have also trapped my ankle underneath low-hanging alu panniers and it did not feel good.

If your bike is a road steed with some gravel road time only, then my favourite hard-sided panniers that I've seen yet are the Micatech ones. Buddy of mine has them on an R12GS and I'm very impressed by the build quality, access, looks, etc. Not sure if they make racks for old airheads, but they are a quality piece of kit.

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
here's my review of the Happy Trails panniers. I like mine fine. If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably use the Touratech racks with the Happy Trails bags. If you read through my review, you'll see why.

And here they are with a liberal application of Reflexite railroad tape - I'm bright as the sun now (and I look like a chuckwagon commercial)

Day time :

Night time :

wow! thats reflective.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post

Day time :

Night time :

After some reflection, I've decided thats too many stickers.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #13
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 632
I'm interesed in this topic as well as I will soon be bagging my PD.

The aluminum bags are a bit much for me, in price and design.

Hepco Becker has a nice set of black bags that are similar in appearance and function to the stock bags and come with a smaller left side to fit with with the GS exhaust.

Anyone using these?

http://secure.capitalcycle.com/Hepco-Becker-Junior-Enduro-Set/productinfo/610.037+00+01/
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #14
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolleman View Post
So, I'm thinking about upgrading from my stock BMW cases to something newer. Which way to go? Are Zegas worth the money? I like the black Gobi's but have not heard much about them. I don't like the Jessies at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There are a bunch of threads on the KTM forums about the Gobi's having their weak latches break... they aren't held very to the frames IIRC

I would second the use of the Touratech racks, which are the sturdiest ones out there (save for Tesch and the Aussie version of the Tesch racks) and the Happy Trails panniers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #15
elmontanero
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,595
I'm using the HT panniers too. But I really have to say that I dislike the lip on the tops and they need to come with the Locking Southco's as a factory option.

I swapped them into mine, but had a brain fart and have one bag that's too tight and the other that'll pop open if you lean on that side and push the latch.

No bag yet is set up for real security that I've seen, maybe the micatechs or jesse's with the heavy flush locks. I know any determined thief can get in, but I'd really like to find something that's above screwdriver safe. Maybe a Jesse lock with a round key?