Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
TBob OP
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 696
Deep water crossing prep?

Want to prep my 09 GSA for this-

Read a bunch of threads after searching and most if not all were missing pics of the mods done.

I saw a air inlet tube extension made of vacuum hose - guessing by the pics I need to pull the tank to add this mod?

Also read where an extention for the final drive should be done but could find any pics

Also does the trany have a breather? If so does it need and extension?

Finally - is it better to go though slow or fast?

Thanks for your help!
TBob

PS - any azbeemer guys that see this post I'll see ya sunday. :)
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
ricohman
Marinoni man

Oddometer: 1,978
I've been playing with 4x4's and water for decades.
That said, I would never take my bike in water as pictured above unless it was a life or death situation.
Silty mud wears and eats all seals, clutch discs ect and I have better things to do with my time than replace seals and contaminated bearings on my bike. My FJ40 keeps me busy with that.
If you have to dive: extend all vents, don't use the clutch once your in, inspect and change fluids as needed when your out.
The driveshaft will get submerged even in the housing if your in long enough and the u-joints should be greased to get rid of any water. But the joints are sealed.
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
a bad idea all around and you've touched on all the areas that can be affected.. and riding it fast through water that deep is a disaster in the making.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
TBob OP
Offroad Fab Guy

Looking for prep info on the bike - not for how bad of an idea you think it is.

Thanks - TBob
Old 10-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
I think I have made crossings that deep on my GS but not that wide. It’s stock, no modifications and no water entered any of the systems. Normally you need to go slow.
The FD does not have a vent, it is sealed. The transmission does have a vent, but it must be one way
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
GSALite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
I would not park it either. If you let off the gas and water gets in through the exhaust, stall city. Just keep the gas on and go at a nice even controlled pace. Not sure about actual mods, but adding some height to the intake is a good idea. Everything should be fine for the crossing itself. The maintenance afterwords is a good idea. You might not have to take the tank off to add the extension. Pull the right side panels and see where the intake goes. If I remember correctly on my GS the intake should be right there. But the GSA might be slightly different with the bigger tank. Good luck!

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.
GSALite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob
Looking for prep info on the bike - not for how bad of an idea you think it is.

Thanks - TBob
On the 1200 there's no venting for the final drive.. just have a hose attached to the snorkel and a camera running.. we'd love to see you crossing a body of water that deep.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
TBob OP
Offroad Fab Guy

yea - don't want it to end in disaster so prep is the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
On the 1200 there's no venting for the final drive.. just have a hose attached to the snorkel and a camera running.. we'd love to see you crossing a body of water that deep.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
rsimpson
Long Way OK?

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob
yea - don't want it to end in disaster so prep is the key.
Missing the point. You can't really prep a GS for that... Best to avoid.
rsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,298
BTW, Is that your GSA in the pic? I have seen some water on mine but not that deep. Been in chest deep on my KTM and hydralocked it. If it stalls, do not try to restart until u pull spark plugs. The biggest issue is the airbox and intake. A snorkel to the top of windshield would be necessary for that body of water in pic. Silicone the joints on the snorkel and electrical sealer on all electrical connections. I strongly advise you walk any waterway that large looking for obstructions or washouts oh and have a camera standing by, hell, call me and I'll come film
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #11
TBob OP
Offroad Fab Guy

nope not mine - and may end up walking it, we'll see once I get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964
BTW, Is that your GSA in the pic? I have seen some water on mine but not that deep. Been in chest deep on my KTM and hydralocked it. If it stalls, do not try to restart until u pull spark plugs. The biggest issue is the airbox and intake. A snorkel to the top of windshield would be necessary for that body of water in pic. Silicone the joints on the snorkel and electrical sealer on all electrical connections. I strongly advise you walk any waterway that large looking for obstructions or washouts oh and have a camera standing by, hell, call me and I'll come film
Old 10-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
TBob OP
Offroad Fab Guy

"electrical sealer on all electrical connections"
sealer? not grease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964
Old 10-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #13
james996
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Funny I ride through water as deep as that in the first post with no problems at all. That's right I have a snorkel kit installed. Funny thing how all the want a be's broke my balls all over the ideal when I put it on. I posted numerous pics but somehow there not there now. I will try to post over the weekend some more pics.
james996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #14
TBob OP
Offroad Fab Guy

yea please do - the way I feel about it is it's an adventure bike, you better be able to cross some water with it other wise you should just stay at home and surf adv rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james996
Funny I ride through water as deep as that in the first post with no problems at all. That's right I have a snorkel kit installed. Funny thing how all the want a be's broke my balls all over the ideal when I put it on. I posted numerous pics but somehow there not there now. I will try to post over the weekend some more pics.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #15
GB
Mod Squad

It's an adventure bike, not a dirt submarine.. Water as deep as shown in the picture is way beyond what the bike's intended purpose and capability, but hey, it's your money.

Btw, the driveshaft housing and the final drive rubber boot are not water tight. If submersed, water will enter. I've seen pics of an FD - posted in GSpot- with well rusted splines. So if you ride it submarine style, it would be a good idea to drop the FD, drain it, and lube both sides of the splines, as well as the driveshaft splines. If you have ESA shocks, I doubt they can take being submerged.. and if you have ABS, think about where the ABS module is located and what will happen if it gets seriously wet. Riding in the rain is one thing.. this is far beyond that. But hey.. it's only money