User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2009, 04:03 AM   #31
zorsch
vanvandero !

Oddometer: 157
hey man !

as my insurance does NOT covery anything outside the EU and already gives me shit about portugal i will have
to look into extra insurance as i am neither fond of problems not getting my bike nicked.

thank you for providung us with a great report, it was lovely reading it and i enjoyed it a lot !

do you maybe have GPS data of some of your waypoints that were nice/worthy visiting?

and did u ever come across situations where you think a bike lower than 650ccm would have serious problems ?

thx a lot !

AUSTRIA - CORSICA - SARDEGNA - 3000km solo on my 125ccm :
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485483
zorsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #32
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,416
Gorgeous pics and great report!!

So, what was wrong with the Africa Twin? cdi? fuel pump? battery?

Laying a bike like that, without crashbars....ouch!!!!

When towing, do you tied it to the front fairing subframe? ouch....

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #33
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer: 551
thanks for posting your RR!

cheers, Andy
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #34
Navel OP
Omphaloskeptical

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by locorider
Gorgeous pics and great report!!

So, what was wrong with the Africa Twin? cdi? fuel pump? battery?

Laying a bike like that, without crashbars....ouch!!!!

When towing, do you tied it to the front fairing subframe? ouch....
Hola loco! AndyG also asked about the Honda before and as a matter of fact I still dont know what happened to her. The insurance company brought back the bike like one month ago, my friend took the bike to his cousin who is an amateur mechanic and he just could check that there was no compression in the rear cylinder, but he still didnt have it checked at the honda service as he fears the cost of repairing would amount too much in relation to the bikes value (and he has another ride: a Varadero, so he is considering not to repair the AT and give it ti his cousin or sell it for parts), anyway i will tell you if he finds out what happened to her.

About the crash bars...no need: just check the guy with the white t-shirt providing technical cushioning

And ready to go:

Navel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #35
Navel OP
Omphaloskeptical

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher_uk
great post
but where one earth did you manage to get insurance with road side recovery ??
now that would be handy :)
Hi punisher, it was a spanish company, I mentioned it on the report, but my insurance also covered that, at least theoretically, and it is AXA.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #36
Navel OP
Omphaloskeptical

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorsch
hey man !

as my insurance does NOT covery anything outside the EU and already gives me shit about portugal i will have
to look into extra insurance as i am neither fond of problems not getting my bike nicked.

thank you for providung us with a great report, it was lovely reading it and i enjoyed it a lot !

do you maybe have GPS data of some of your waypoints that were nice/worthy visiting?

and did u ever come across situations where you think a bike lower than 650ccm would have serious problems ?

thx a lot !
Servus Zorsch!!
About the insurance, check my answer to punisher, AXA covered europe + coastal countries of the Mediterranean (Northern Africa+Near East).

I am glad that you liked the report, about the GPS I only had it as a backup so didnt make much use of it, and I haven't debrief the data yet, but I will look into it and i will send you any interesting data i find.

And finally about the bike: I think the most important thing is reliability and range, more than power. ok if you plan to ride in deep loose sand with a loaded bike you will need power, but then a smaller bike is also lighter. We didn't face many places like that, other than the dunes and some river bed, but we did very little riding in the dunes, which eventually you can skip, and I think with a lighter bike you can go through any sandy river bed. A lighter bike has also some advantages, there is some video on youtube where two italians run two Yamaha Tricker and as the bike is light they wade a river by placing them atop a big inflated tyre.

So if you ask me if I would go there with a smaller bike, I would definetely say Jawohl!
Old 12-01-2009, 03:09 AM   #37
zorsch
vanvandero !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navel

So if you ask me if I would go there with a smaller bike, I would definetely say Jawohl!
Jawohl ! Sowas hoert man natuerlich immer gerne.

To be precise, its about the bike in my sig, i am thinking of doing it with the vanvan and do not know if i am nuts or not right now..

i do not plan on riding in deep sand or anything alike btw, but some piste would be nice i guess doesnt have to be
kneedeep sand just because of that right ?

maybe you click the link in my sig and see what bike i am talking about.

to break it down, i am looking for a reason to justify keeping it instead of selling it, and just the one trip last year
doesnt quite cut it for me but if i do what i think of doing this year, damn, then there's no way id part from her ever again :)

thnank you for your imput ! and once again, from the pictures you provided, i can understand why people fall in
love with marocco and the african countries as a whole, its just so damn beautiful ! :)

Old 12-01-2009, 03:56 AM   #38
Rashnak
Lorem Ipsum

Oddometer: 9,713
Nice RR!-

Great pictures.

Good thing you had mesh gear. It really helps. I also like evaporative vests when it gets really hot.

Rashnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:59 AM   #39
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,169
Honda

I ride a Honda and must say that they are every where here so service is available I was cheering for the old Twin and sad to that It did not fare well. This report is exceptional.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #40
Navel OP
Omphaloskeptical

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorsch
Jawohl ! Sowas hoert man natuerlich immer gerne.

To be precise, its about the bike in my sig, i am thinking of doing it with the vanvan and do not know if i am nuts or not right now..

i do not plan on riding in deep sand or anything alike btw, but some piste would be nice i guess doesnt have to be
kneedeep sand just because of that right ?

maybe you click the link in my sig and see what bike i am talking about.

to break it down, i am looking for a reason to justify keeping it instead of selling it, and just the one trip last year
doesnt quite cut it for me but if i do what i think of doing this year, damn, then there's no way id part from her ever again :)

thnank you for your imput ! and once again, from the pictures you provided, i can understand why people fall in
love with marocco and the african countries as a whole, its just so damn beautiful ! :)
Hi Zorsch,

I am happy that you liked my report, thanks again for your comments.

I have already read your excellent ride report and I am sure you can make it on the van van, I think that with the fat tyres you can´t go wrong in the sand, just lower the pressure when you ride in the sand and you´ll be fine (I would consider adding a pump to your luggage). If you are worried about riding a small bike, just check for the report of the guy who is riding from Australia to the UK on a Moped, so ...GO FOR IT!

Ich drücke Dir die Daumen!!
Old 12-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #41
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
There are good people willing to help the world over... thanks for the detailed report and pics!! And please, share your next adventure with us too
Old 12-02-2009, 04:00 AM   #42
zorsch
vanvandero !

thank you for your thumbs up, and man, who couldnt like a report of this quality and your photography yuuuuuumy man it wanted me to jump it right away ;)

but well, next year next year :) first ill install a different exhaust on the vanvan, loud bikes are safe bikes right lol,
oh well for whats that worth on a 125er heh

Old 12-02-2009, 04:44 AM   #43
Mike_K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Thanks for this great report!
Old 12-02-2009, 05:41 AM   #44
choma
n00b