Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Trumper OP
Eclectic Dilettante

Oddometer: 508
LED tail/brake light for '07 GS

OK,
I'm also a victim of the cracked and melted bulb socket on the tail light assembly on my '07 GS. (Dirt? Corrosion? Bad connection? Dunno, but it's history...)

It's sitting in the sink right now curing with some plastic weld on it (I have to go to work tomorrow and it's my only transportation).

Rather than spend $175 for that crappy plastic/chrome assembly piece again, I'd rather go LED.

I did a forum search and see lots of references to the Brake! one, but all the links are dead. ADVworkshop no longer carries them (they have something that is called "Moto LED" and appears to plug in to the bulb socket). There are also references to some site called "Home-something" but that page has been hijacked. It's now just a squatter with references to bogus stuff.

I can't use a "plug in" type connector as that's what's broken! So I need something that plugs into the tail light electrical socket...NOT into the bulb socket.

Anyone know of something that will fit that criteria? Thanks....
Old 11-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
StreetCat
Wanderer

Oddometer: 63
The name is...

RoadRocketeer, and the URL is:
http://www.roadrocketeer.com/BrakeBMW.html.
I bought one and installed it on my 07 GSA and I'm absolutely happy.
I previously installed the original Brake!Now brake lights on a K1200LT and then on a K1200GT.
The version that I received from RoadRocketeer is every bit as high a quality as the original Brake!Now product and that's saying a lot.

P.S.: I'm not affiliated with RoadRocketeer. I'm simply endorsing the site because the product is top notch.

2007 R1200GSA
StreetCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
Trumper OP
Eclectic Dilettante

Alas, that Road Rocketeer is one of those "plugs into the bulb socket" types.

I can't use that method as that's what's broken/melted!

I would need something that plugs into the BMW wiring harness for the tail light I suppose. Plugging into the bulb socket =
Old 11-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
LTCOliverNorth
Peeping Tom

Oddometer: 791
Just take the bulb-socket connector from the Brake! LED board and cut it off. Then splice the red/black wires to the leads from the melted connector on your bike. Done!

http://touratech-usa.com/shop/show.l...6DD2GmP38861FA

If you need a replacement lens you can order one from clear alternatives. I have a red OEM one I'll sell you for 1/2 price.

http://clearalternatives.com/Merchan...y_Code=R1200GS
LTCOliverNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
Trumper OP
Eclectic Dilettante

Good point: clip that plug off, solder in a new spade lug, then connect the existing clips to that. That bypasses the melty socket and that weak-ass connector assembly.

Touratech still has it listed as "More Coming," so I ordered it from Rocketeer. I'll post up a result when it gets here and I get it installed.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
mrmurph
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
I've got P3s on my 07 GS and they work great.

http://www.p3lights.com/index.htm

Murph
Motorcycles, Cars, Guitars.....
mrmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,532
I'd call Kevin at RoadRocketeer and ask him if cutting the plug off their product so that you could hard-wire it would void the warranty.

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:29 AM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTA
I'd call Kevin at RoadRocketeer and ask him if cutting the plug off their product so that you could hard-wire it would void the warranty.
That's funny!

RoadRocketeer and warranty are oxymorons!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:21 AM   #9
jrlakin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I had the LED's that I installed on my LT. I bought the inserts from the predeceasor to Road Rocketeer. One of the bulb units went bad and I wrote to Road Rocketeer, and they send me a new one, no questions asked, and no charge. So you won't hear me bad mouth them about their warranty ever.
jrlakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #10
CrazyD2.0
We Havin Fun Yet?

Oddometer: 234
That's good to hear about RoadRocketeer - I ordered their LED taillight for my 05 GS, should arrive any day now...
CrazyD2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
I had the LED's that I installed on my LT. I bought the inserts from the predeceasor to Road Rocketeer. One of the bulb units went bad and I wrote to Road Rocketeer, and they send me a new one, no questions asked, and no charge. So you won't hear me bad mouth them about their warranty ever.
Took them 4 months, and a half a dozen phone calls and e-mails to get mine back. Many never did! From the looks of things, they haven't improved their customer service much, though apparently some get lucky!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #12
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,266
Ted Porter's Beemer shop carries the Brake! lights. Here's a link for the 2005 - 2007 models.
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #13
Trumper OP
Eclectic Dilettante

Well, I ordered it from Road Rocketeer 11/11. I used Paypal when the site showed them in stock.

--I did not receive a confirmation or "shipped" notice.

--After 10 days, I emailed asking for status; no response.

--I tried calling the 800 number; "mailbox is full."

--I emailed again a week later; got an auto-reply to call the direct number. Called it; "mailbox is full."

--It's now been three weeks and I have no contact, no replies, and no Brake! taillight.

What's the advice here? Should I dispute it on Paypal and attempt to get my $150 back? Wait another week? A month? Suck it up?

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
LTCOliverNorth
Peeping Tom

Oddometer: 791
Sorry to hear that - If it were my $... I'd be filing a complaint with Paypal immediately. Best case, Rocketeer dropped the ball and the paypal notification will get them to send you your light ASAP. Worst case, you get your money back when the case closes.

There is little excuse for a business to not respond to email or to have a full voicemail inbox.

Just my $.02, but I don't use Paypal for making payments anymore, I only use a credit card. I once had a seller ship an item to the wrong address and when I complained via Paypal the seller was able to supply a delivery confirmation number (for the wrong address!). Paypal sided with the seller and I was out $50.

On the flip side, whenever I've challenged a charge through my CC company, it's been an instant, no-questions-asked reversal of charges.
LTCOliverNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #15
Trumper OP
Eclectic Dilettante

Update: I filed a "dispute" with Paypay to see if I could get some kind of response from Road Rocketeer. After a week, nothing. So I escalated it to a "claim" with Paypal.

I will guess, though, that Paypal won't get a word out of them either. Meantime, I have to sit around for a month and wait it out....

Bottom line though is I *still* need a tail/brake light replacement. The BMW OEM bit is $180. I'd much rather have LEDs (and avoid this melted connection problem again...).

The only other solution for an 07 GS I see is the Moto LED lights from ADV Workshop. But those look sketchy; how can it be the same panel for "all years?" Do they flash? Is there a connector (the description says "panel only") or ???

Anyone know of other solutions? I'd like something super bright that gives me the 4 flashes on braking. I'm not adverse to a little wiring, but would not want to start splicing into the harness, etc.

Thanks.