Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
bobinaustin OP
planning for the adv

Oddometer: 196
r1150gs cigarette plug placement?

hello everyone!!!

i am a new proud papa of a 2004 R1150GS that I will be taking on my grand adventure to Alaska from my home here in Austin next summer. i am in the process now of figuring out how to kit the bike out for my needs.

i am have two items i need to power (at least for now) that is just a gps and some power for my helmet cam. i cant really imagine having the power plugs wiried permanently in place and leaving the outlets exposed to the elements so i am thinking that wiring in two cigarette plugs up front is the best idea.

hoever... i am searching for a place to mount the plugs without having to modify the body panels. i was thinking that adding the plugs under the instrument cluster would be a good idea. the bars do move so much that if i plug in a power plug for a gps it would get in the way of the bars. BUT if i mount the plug under the instrument cluster facing to the side... it seems like it might work.

i have noticed that on this site that the majority of the posts of mods people have done are in the topics of pennytech postings. i am just wondering if anyone out there has mounted a power plug on the front end near the instrument cluster? if so, please feel free to post a pic for me!

if you have some ideas for me please feel free to post em too! i currently have a little 4 fuse from Powerlet Products
http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...k-assembly/233
and am perfectly willing to entertain other ideas... but i am still thinking that the cigarette plugs is the way to go.

what do you all got????

also... if your a BMW rider here in austin... feel free to pm me so we can go for a ride!
bobinaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,336
Definitely use Powerlet style sockets rather than cigar lighter. You'll find what fits your needs here (surely...): http://www.powerletproducts.com/shop...et-kits/SKTKIT
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,367
I mounted a cig lighter under the cluster on the far left side facing straight towards me.
Also mounted one near the left passenger peg facing to the rear for use in a bag.
You could just get a BMW to Cig double outlet and stick it in your acces socket.

TUCKERS screwed with this post 10-13-2009 at 10:22 AM
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
AE-22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS
You could just get a BMW to Cig double outlet and stick it in your acces socket.
+1. Has worked for me.
AE-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
bobinaustin OP
planning for the adv

Oddometer: 196
here is what i did

04 1150gs

to power these outlets, i found an empty spot in the fuse area under the seat and trimmed a powerlet fuse holder to fit in the empty spot.
http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...fuseholder/217
works a charm!

bobinaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
Bruce Caldwell
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,016
I used an old clamp I had from a steering damper & fabricated an aluminum plate for the powerlet. This powers my gps.

Guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the place where the guy with the horns & pointed stick conducts his business...Frank Zappa
Bruce Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,367
I think there is also space on the side fairing that hold the turn signals. Don't they do this on 1200/ADV?
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote