Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2009, 12:14 AM   #31
diabolik37
Push Dumb C***

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by sab
I typically react more violently. I kept it pretty cool here. :) Woody says no ABS change required, so my speculation about what one would change if it was required is moot.

I still think my speculative solution for a hypothetical situation was spot on.

sab

Oh yeah baby, I like it when violent.

I'm glad you got your shit back together..

BTW who's Woody?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #32
Zpider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Just to explain the reason i asked in the first place:

I used Wunderlich 21" conversionkit on a 2006 GSA with servobrakes. I recently bought a 2007 GSA without, and Wunderlich says on their webshop and in the cataloque that this should work, with the use of an adapter they sell. Well, asked them for the adapter just to find out that they no longer sell it. Exact answer from them:

"Unfortunately you can not use it, because all systems from 2007 models onwards without power assisted braking, need to order the electronic adapter separately 8180026. But this is no longer available, so you will have problems."

So, i mail them back asking why its still on the webshop and get an answer that the kit wont work at all on a 2007 model and never did. When asking why the webshop and cataloques says different and asking what the adapter was for in the first place they didnt even bother to answer at all. This beeing Wunderlich in Germany since im located in Europe. Wunderlich USA answered that the adapter never worked at all so they never sold any. All in all, it seems like its working fine on my 2007, but i got a whole new perspecitve on the customer support from Wunderlish, or should i say the lack of. Given a choice ill never order a thing from them again...
Zpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #33
diabolik37
Push Dumb C***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zpider
Just to explain the reason i asked in the first place:

I used Wunderlich 21" conversionkit on a 2006 GSA with servobrakes. I recently bought a 2007 GSA without, and Wunderlich says on their webshop and in the cataloque that this should work, with the use of an adapter they sell. Well, asked them for the adapter just to find out that they no longer sell it. Exact answer from them:

"Unfortunately you can not use it, because all systems from 2007 models onwards without power assisted braking, need to order the electronic adapter separately 8180026. But this is no longer available, so you will have problems."

So, i mail them back asking why its still on the webshop and get an answer that the kit wont work at all on a 2007 model and never did. When asking why the webshop and cataloques says different and asking what the adapter was for in the first place they didnt even bother to answer at all. This beeing Wunderlich in Germany since im located in Europe. Wunderlich USA answered that the adapter never worked at all so they never sold any. All in all, it seems like its working fine on my 2007, but i got a whole new perspecitve on the customer support from Wunderlish, or should i say the lack of. Given a choice ill never order a thing from them again...
I searched the Wunderlich web page (german) but I couldn't find the item N. 8180026. If you can find it and post a pic. I may be able to tell you what it is. In the 2007 GSA you shouldn't need any Gadget to get the ABS to work with a 21" wheel.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:10 AM   #34
Zpider OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolik37
I searched the Wunderlich web page (german) but I couldn't find the item N. 8180026. If you can find it and post a pic. I may be able to tell you what it is. In the 2007 GSA you shouldn't need any Gadget to get the ABS to work with a 21" wheel.
Thats the thing, you cant find it, but its mentioned on the page of the conversionkit, thats why i had to mail them instead of ordering the item directly:

http://www.wunderlich.de/frame.php?M...prodid=8166240
Old 11-06-2009, 03:02 AM   #35
diabolik37
Push Dumb C***

Quote:
Thats the thing, you cant find it, but its mentioned on the page of the conversionkit, thats why i had to mail them instead of ordering the item directly:

http://www.wunderlich.de/frame.php?M...prodid=8166240
My wild guess is that since BMW removed power assisted brake, you don't need the "electronic gadget" anymore. That's why you cannot find it on their web site....
But if your bike has ABS and Traction control then you need to alter the front signal from the pick up to compensate for the bigger slower turning wheel.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:26 AM   #36
Zpider OP
Adventurer

Quote:
My wild guess is that since BMW removed power assisted brake, you don't need the "electronic gadget" anymore. That's why you cannot find it on their web site....
But if your bike has ABS and Traction control then you need to alter the front signal from the pick up to compensate for the bigger slower turning wheel.
Think you got it backwards here, they say the gadget was for newer bikes without servo assisted brakes, not the older bikes that had it. Would be stupid for Wunderlich to say "dont ever use the 21" kit on a 2007 or newer bike" if they think the adapter is no longer needed.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:10 AM   #37
diabolik37
Push Dumb C***

Quote:
Think you got it backwards here, they say the gadget was for newer bikes without servo assisted brakes, not the older bikes that had it. Would be stupid for Wunderlich to say "dont ever use the 21" kit on a 2007 or newer bike" if they think the adapter is no longer needed.
From personal experience, when you translate from german to english, sometime is worth it to interpret it the opposite, of what the translation say...
Old 11-06-2009, 06:40 AM   #38
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,233
Quote:
From personal experience, when you translate from german to english, sometime is worth it to interpret it the opposite, of what the translation say...
It's not uncommon for chinese translators to be used, so the translation goes from german to chinese to english.

Treadless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #39
sab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Oh yeah baby, I like it when violent.

I'm glad you got your shit back together..

BTW who's Woody?
Woody's the guy who makes the 21" wheels for the GS. He watched this thread, but can't post here as he's a vendor. I did get a few prices from him through -- I can pass the info on if you PM me.

sab
sab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #40
diabolik37
Push Dumb C***

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab
Woody's the guy who makes the 21" wheels for the GS. He watched this thread, but can't post here as he's a vendor. I did get a few prices from him through -- I can pass the info on if you PM me.

sab
Thank you for the offer and I'll keep it in mind...

Would that be the same Woody that everyone on here take their spoke wheels to get re-tensioned? For what I've been reading here, he's good...
Old 11-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #41
Russ

Oddometer: 15,733
Woody's the wheel wizard.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:18 AM   #42
sbbillder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS
+1

I've had no problems whatsoever running TKC's on my 21" front.

I have first hand knowledge with riding with GakacticGS . We rode together earlier in the year off road. I have an '07 GSA which is set up primarily for off road, but I still have the stock 19" front & stock suspension. We were able to ride really close together @ on some rough, technical, high speed stuff. When I was riding behind him I would watch what his bike was doing. It seemed to stick to corner's & handled the crappy stuff much better. Where it felt like I would push or dig in, he seemed to stay on top. Some of this may have to do with suspension (& Larry's off road skills!!).

Right after switching out the suspension, I will be upgrading to the 21".

Hi Larry, looking forward to riding with you in LAB2V. The offer still stands if you need to stay @ our house if you come through Santa Barbara. We will be heading down to LA Thursday night.

Bill
sbbillder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #43
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,327
feedback from a fellow inmate using 21'' on R1200GSA 9 day Baja test ride

FYI: here's some solid feedback from a fellow inmate and his recent 9 day test ride in Baja..enjoy

Ken Wahlster the "Bike Bandit " guru just returned from a 9 day test-ride recorded on video tour of baja to find out what works and doesn't....he went down with a group of buddies swapping equipment for opinions and feedback,,,,he'll be filling a ride report this weekend...he granted permission to share the following with you...so it's just a teaser...

Quote:
Hello Woody and Zach,

I wanted to let you guys know that I am back from 9 days in Baja where I put the new wheels for the GS1200 Adventure through some major punishment (so bad the rear shock failed after only 2 days). The wheels preformed extremely well. No issues with the tubeless rear tire or the front brake issues. We ran TKC 80 tires front and back with 25 lbs pressure for 3,000 miles and did not have a single flat! Wheels proved to be straight and strong! Thanks for the great product and great service! ....

We had 2 GS1200 Adv on the trip (one with your 21” and one with a stock 19”). I liked the 21 better in every application except pavement. The other tester liked the 21 better in every application except pavement and deep sand. However, I was much faster than him in the sand… so I say the 21” is the best setup for off road period. On road, the 19” is quicker through the corners.

Thank you,
Ken

www.bikebandit.com
www.BikeBandit.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 02-26-2011 at 09:39 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote