Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 07:31 AM   #376
PARTY BOSS™ OP
FORMERLY R1100RICK

Oddometer: 5,421
Here's the updated list

The 9th Annual Eastern Rendezvous In And Paid List

THE 9TH ANNUAL IN AND PAID LIST

R1100Rick 15xxl, 20xl, 15L, 15M, 10sm ( THE ORIGINAL PARTY BOSS™ )
GSWeave L (voice of reason)
RedBud xxl
ADVBilly L
SprinterRS xl ( the good son )
MonsterJim xl (big brother)
meena12 s
ktmMike L (Head Ride Scout)
Sangfroid xxl (muscle)
Old BMW Master + Barbie xl,m (infamous)
bk brkr baker xl
Goat Roper xl (bourbon purveyor)
HWSNBH xxl (trouble)
JDLuke lg
Lukewife sm
Guy Young xl
DockingPilot L
AdvTenn L (Ride Scout)
Gregsbro xl (newbie)
WPBarlow xxl
Cigars & Scotch xxl (Southern Gentleman)
Jono + Andy xl ,xl
RV8 PILOT xl
hooliken xl
Augie xxl (By The Powers Vested in Me, I hearby Declare Augie, The Official MC and De-noober)
DamyanKee xxl
tnm800 xl
cruceno m
hscrugby xxl
pckopp+koppwife xxl,lg
Rockin Roll-in xl (all the way from Canada eh )
joemays lg
Eap xl
FF Burger lg
MikeD. xl
BMWKurt xl
JoeDirt M
Librarian lg

I'll be out of town for a week or more riding down at my cabin . I made the list, you got to check it twice
04'xt225 yamahammer
00' R0050RS Kinder Beemer SOLD

When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour. My nerves are jaded and gone near dead, so that nothing less then hours of voluntary danger will prick them into life..."

T.E. Lawrence
PARTY BOSS™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 AM   #377
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1100RICK
The 9th Annual Eastern Rendezvous In And Paid List

I'll be out of town for a week or more riding down at my cabin . I made the list, you got to check it twice
Hope you have studded tires on your bike. Schools closed due to snow again in Western NC.
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #378
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,368
R1100Rick, It sounds like ya throw a good party. Going to do my best to try to make it. If I don't I'll see ya at the BYOB in Galeton PA. Don't know if ya ever been up that way, it' a beautiful area and GREAT for riding, i live about 3HR,s from there,ride up that way all the time. look'in forward to meetin ya. BOLTED
eddie bolted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #379
ktmMike
roadscout

Oddometer: 1,235
Laugh More Rides ? ? ?

To all Rendezvous Attendees who are planning their own
rides AND would like to invite others along for the ride,
please feel free to:

1. Post the details of your planned ride at any point on THIS thread.
Click the big capital A to choose a color. No not THAT color!

2. You can follow the format used on page one, post #3 as a
guideline in order to cover all important details.

3. When you are finished, PM me to let me know which PAGE# AND POST#
you used so I can link it up to page 1 (so everyone can find it from page 1).

4. You can always go back and edit your post many times later on
(if you don't know how to edit, PM me).

5. Pick departure times and places different from everyone else's.

Remember:
There are no official Eastern Rendezvous rides.
We have individuals going on rides from the rally and you may ride along.
Each rider is responsible for his or her own actions.
No part of your rally fee has anything to do with any rides.
RIDE SAFE sportsfans.

KTM Mike

ktmMike screwed with this post 04-15-2010 at 03:29 PM
ktmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #380
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
BPG/Wanderer13/Knybanjo's Ride Info:

We will lead 2 routes leaving Station's Inn@ 8:30 AM each morning. :
  • Friday route (named the "RICHLANDS" route): True DUAL SPORT riding. Read on in this post for details...
  • Saturday route (named the "BROWN MOUNTAIN OHV" route): Hardcore DIRT/TRAIL riding. details in next post...

Friday's route won't be as intense as Saturday's, but still offer lots of challenges and plenty of dirt/trail. Saturday's route will involve riding on twisty paved & gravel roads to a very intense trail riding area.

BOTH RIDES will involve about 35+ one-way miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway to get to/from the riding area. Not a bad thing: people come from all over the country just to ride the Carolina portion of the BRP - it's that good a road. My 250 loves it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FRIDAY'S "RICHLANDS" route:

DEPART STATIONS INN @ 8:30 AM !! If you can't make it, there are at least 2 more "unofficial rides" leaving at 9 & 9:30 from Freeborne's. To be 100% frank, if you're not in good enough condition to be up and ready at 8:30, don't bother asking us to wait.

FRIDAY'S ROADS/TRAILS
: (about 200+ miles). Very twisty paved and gravel/dirt roads (steep, winding mountain roads), long-unmaintained FS and public roads, numerous water crossings, plus optional hill climbs
and singletrack. One road is best compared to a 14-mile gravel & dirt version of the Dragon. Other "roads" are passable only in a modded truck/jeep (with lots of body scratches), or ATV/bike. These sections are NOT simply "dirt roads" - they are abandoned & severely eroded roads that the wilderness is slowly taking back, with lots of exposed rock, mud holes, deep trenches, downed trees, etc. There are also some premium paved twisty bits, such as the BRP and a stretch of 221 west of Blowing Rock. This route is dual-sporter's paradise.

FRIDAY - BIKES: A true dual-sport bike, 650 or smaller, will work best on the dirt portions, especially the optional stuff. A bigger machine could also pass through, just not as easily, quickly, or with nearly as much fun - you be the judge. A skid plate and hand guards are pretty much necessary.

FRIDAY - YOU: A good positive attitude goes a long way... Sturdy MC-style boots, knees & elbow armor, chest protector/pressure suit would be very handy. We're also assuming you own/wear a helmet...

FRIDAY - TIRES: DOT KNOBBIES. Some of the dirt portions have an inordinate amount of mud, you'll be juuust OK skating through on a 50/50 tire, anything less dirt-worthy would not be fun. Dunlop 606, Kenda Trak Master territory.

FRIDAY - GAS: First rule - start with a full tank, BEFORE we roll out. If that means topping off the evening before, or by getting up early and zipping out to fill up, so be it.

We will have several opportunities for gas, never going more than 75 miles between gas stations. BRING CASH, just in case.

FRIDAY - FOOD/WATER: (to bring along): Definitely bring a Camelback-type hydration system or full water bottle, and a snack or two (crackers, granola bars, jerky, etc.). We'll be deep in the woods on some roads/trails that haven't seen an ambulance/rescue vehicle in over 30 years, if ever... Some food and water present comes in very handy should someone get hurt, have a mechanical issue, or go off-trail and expend lots of energy...

FRIDAY - LUNCH: Most likely grabbing grub at a gas station. Nothing prepared/hot/etc. is available, so bring a sandwich or something substantial if need be. Main goal is NOT to be late for the ADV dinner back at the ranch!

SAFETY: This is motorcycling. You'll be on public roads. Your actions could affect other riders and cages. Don't be a dumb-ass.

Etc:
MORE TO COME AS DETAILS ARE FINALIZED.

Here are some pics from the areas we'll ride on Friday's "Richlands" route:

On the BRP:

Countless Creek crossings (at one point, we'll ride across the Yadkin River)

Just off "Waterfall Road":

This road is just like this... for 14 miles...

One of the optional hill climbs (you can bypass, but why?):

Some of the terrain encountered in the "road":

'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg screwed with this post 05-10-2010 at 08:36 AM Reason: add info
bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #381
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
SATURDAY'S BROWN MOUNTAIN OHV ROUTE (BRP & twisty dirt road to Brown Mountain OHV trails ). $5 permit required, we'll purchase permits at the AM gas stop.

DEPART from STATION'S INN at 8:30 AM !!! If you miss it, there will be at least 2 more "unofficial rides" leaving (from Freeborne's) at 9 & 9:30. This ride is pretty hard-core, if you can't handle being up and ready by 8:30, this ride will kick you @ss...

SATURDAY'S ROADS & TRAILS: (about 140 "road" miles, ?? trail miles).
In the AM we'll be on about 35 miles of Blue Ridge Parkway, then about 35 miles on some great twisty mountain dirt roads en route to Brown Mountain OHV trails. Same for the return trip.
The Brown Mountain OHV trails range from jeep-passable to true singletrack (tight enough that you're leaning the bike from side to side on occasion to fit the bars around trees & rocks). These trails are VERY rough, rocky, steep, rooted, slick, challenging - and fun.

Here's a trail map & guide for Brown Mountain OHV area: http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...untain_orv.pdf

SATURDAY'S BIKES: A true dual-sport bike, 650 or smaller, will work best. KLR/DR/XR 650, LC4, etc. - with a competent pilot - can negotiate these trails with care. Anything bigger/less capable would be an ordeal, unless you stay on the main trail (trail 1). 450's and smaller will have a riot. A skid plate and hand guards are definitely necessary.

FRIDAY - YOU: A good positive attitude goes a long way... Sturdy MC-style boots, knees & elbow armor, chest protector/pressure suit are necessary. We're also assuming you own/wear a helmet...

SATURDAY'S TIRES: DOT KNOBBIES. Again, Dunlop 606 & Kenda Trak Master territory.

SATURDAY'S GAS: First rule - start with a full tank, BEFORE we roll out. If that means topping off the evening before, or by getting up early and zipping out to fill up, so be it.

We will have several opportunities for gas, never going more than 75 miles between gas stations. BRING CASH, just in case.

SATURDAY'S FOOD/WATER: (to bring along): Definitely bring a Camelback-type hydration system or full water bottle, and a snack or two (crackers, granola bars, jerky, etc.). We'll be deep in the woods on some roads/trails that haven't EVER seen an ambulance/rescue vehicle, and likely never will. Some food and water present comes in very handy should someone get hurt, have a mechanical issue, or go off-trail and expend lots of energy...

SATURDAY'S LUNCH: We'll grab some pre-packaged food at the gas station in Collettsville (no hot/prepared food). If it suits you, bring a sandwich or something substantial. Main goal is NOT to be late for the ADV dinner back at the ranch!

SAFETY: This is motorcycling. You'll be on public roads. Your actions could affect other riders and cages. Don't be a dumb-ass.

Etc:
MORE TO COME AS DETAILS ARE FINALIZED.

Here are some pics from the areas we'll ride at Brown Mountain OHV area:

'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg screwed with this post 04-25-2010 at 06:56 PM Reason: add info
bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:25 AM   #382
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
BPG/Wanderer13/Knybanjo's Ride

Great looking ride guys!

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #383
MikeBike4
Excuse me..

Oddometer: 1,320
Beggin' for Spring here!

I'm in!! I'll pass the cash at the cabin this weekend Rick. And I'll def be ready to tag along on the dualsport rides.
Right now I've got to put those studded tires on the DR for this weekend!
Forester S
MikeBike4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #384
Red F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg
Here are some pics from the areas we'll ride Friday:

On the BRP:

Countless Creek crossings (at one point, we'll ride across the Yadkin River)

One of the optional hill climbs:

I see you've found the Richlands. One of my favorite 4 wheeling spots growing up. In high school, my friend with his brand new license, took a stock, 3-on-the-tree, long bed, open diff, 2wd Chevy through there. I have never seen a stock truck that sat that low to the ground. We tried very hard to talk him out of it. We had to get creative a couple of times, but he only had to be yanked once though.

Now we are both a little wiser. He has a Yamaha 250, and I've got a KLR 650. Ok, so maybe he's a little wiser. I'm trying to see if I can come up for the rendezvous, but my son's 2nd birthday is on May 12th and I missed his first one. Maybe I can talk my wife into staying at my grandmother's in Wilkesboro that weekend.

Ah, the Station Inn. I lived about a mile from there for about 6 months. Didn't get to explore the roads much, but did a lot of commuting to ASU.

I now live on the other side of Asheville. If I don't get to make it, y'all have fun.

Fred

www.redfstudios.com
Red F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:23 AM   #385
ktmMike
roadscout

Thank you Brendan, Wanderer, and Kennybanjo!

Old 02-27-2010, 05:49 AM   #386
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg
BPG/Wanderer13/Knybanjo's Ride Info:

We will lead a Friday route and a Saturday route leaving Station's Inn SNIP...

Here are some pics from the areas we'll ride Friday: SNIP
Wow dudes, awesome looking rides and great planning!

I'm gonna opt out - my GS and I love the twistie pavement and 'gentlemanly' forest service roads - this looks good:

This not so much :

I'll join you all around the fires and swap lies though:
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #387
ktmMike
roadscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by eap

I'm gonna opt out - my GS and I love the twistie pavement and 'gentlemanly' forest service roads - this looks good:
We have that too, eap. See page one for other rides.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:31 AM   #388
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmMike
We have that too, eap. See page one for other rides.
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:02 AM   #389
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by eap

I'll join you all around the fires and swap lies though:
+1

This is me in a gravel parking lot in Alaska. I wouldn't stand a chance in some of that terrain!!!

My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #390
PARTY BOSS™ OP
FORMERLY R1100RICK

Oddometer: 5,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bolted
R1100Rick, It sounds like ya throw a good party. Going to do my best to try to make it. If I don't I'll see ya at the BYOB in Galeton PA. Don't know if ya ever been up that way, it' a beautiful area and GREAT for riding, i live about 3HR,s from there,ride up that way all the time. look'in forward to meetin ya. BOLTED

You gotta get your ass down here ! . But if not see ya in pa
04'xt225 yamahammer
00' R0050RS Kinder Beemer SOLD

When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour. My nerves are jaded and gone near dead, so that nothing less then hours of voluntary danger will prick them into life..."

T.E. Lawrence
PARTY BOSS™ is offline   Reply With Quote