Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,786
My Worthless Ford F150

Probably a boring story so pass if you've got better things to do. Just an observation or two.......

In 2002 I bought a lightly used 2001 F150 with about 30,000 miles on it. In the proceeding 12 years I've got it up to 209,000 miles. They've been pretty trouble free miles. An alternator. A rear diff seal. Some weird sensor. All told, maybe an extra $1,500 bucks in maintenance over oil changes and tires. A pretty good deal for my original $20k investment.

I've added a few things like a front receiver, a fiberglass topper, and air bags. I've put in some modern conveniences like a bluetooth stereo with aux in and RAM mounts for my GPS and iPod. I tow a 7' x 14' enclosed trailer loaded full of sound equipment or tools fairly often and she does the job alright as long as you don't want speeds in excess of 75mph. It's still a comfy ride and with the exception of a few scratches, she looks pretty good as well.

Lately, however, I've been lusting a bit for something newer. Yesterday I took it in to the dealer for an oil change and while I was at it, asked for a replacement of this one: an F150 that's a couple years old and with low mileage. They had a nice 2012 that was almost exactly like mine only with all the new bells and whistles and a factory tow-package.

Damn, it was nice. Good pep, better mpg, more comfortable, and roomier. And $32k. Bluebook trade in value of my 2001? About $3,000.00 after a sizable ding for the high mileage.

$3k. That's just a little bit more than the sales tax would be on the newer one. And I wouldn't be afraid to take the 2001 anywhere in the country at a moments notice, it's been that reliable. So I think I'll stick with the old gal until rust or death comes to it. At this point it doesn't owe me a penny and the way I look at it, every mile I drive it I'm actually making money.

Do I lose my mancard for loosing my lust for a new truck?

And a pic of the old girl
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
No loss of mancard in my book. Truck prices are ridiculous.
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 6,271
Nope, for $3k you might as well drive it into the ground and save yourself a bunch of money, until you have no choice.

I had a 2003 Ranger that was pretty plain, but low miles and not scratch. I was wanting a new F150 like you in 2013. A dealer offered me $3k in trade and I walked, figuring I just keep it for that kind of money. I did end up selling the Ranger privately for $6k and bought the 150. Maybe you get get more selling it yourself, if you just have to have the new truck.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
I am the same boat. Second owner 1996 F150 4x4 150,000 miles. Paid 5 grand for it 9 years ago.

Nothing but gas, oil, tires. Brakes once and some front end work all normal wear and tear.

30 grand and payments for a newer/new truck. Money wise it doesn't make sense. But I really want a new ride.
rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:17 PM   #5
racer187x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Echoing you guys. 300k on my 1990 Silverado K2500. We've been looking at new trucks but $30,000 for a new one and used ones with 30,000 miles in the mid $20,000's. Don't want a big payment but this truck has served its role. It's not worth $1,000 nowadays.
"Stuckness shouldn't be avoided. It's the psychic predecessor of all real understanding. An egoless acceptance of stuckness is the key to an understanding of all Quality, in mecahnical work as in other endeavors. It's this understanding of Quality, as revealed by stuckness, which so often makes self-taught mechanics so superior to institute-trained men who have learned how to handle everything except a new situation."
racer187x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:35 PM   #6
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 10,251
It almost doesn't pay to buy a used 1-4 year old truck. Dealers want almost as much for those as they do brand new trucks. With enough shopping around a new one can be had for 26-30k. You don't need leather, nav, 20" wheels, any of that crap.

My 02 f150 was bought in 05 with 20k miles for 20 k. It now had 62k. Rockers are gone. Doors are on their way. Rear axle seals, fuel pump, shocks. 3x brakes, both front hubs, starter. ...Probly some other stuff.
I shop around sometimes but payments are scary

vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:58 PM   #7
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
Dealers are looking to double their money on older trades. In my neck of the woods they all get flipped out to used car lots right away. Sell your used vehicle yourself and go shopping with the cash.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:58 PM   #8
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
about once every couple years i decide i need a ~2-3 year old truck. sometimes even go test drive them. the sticker prices are ridiculous. i walk away realizing i'll likely never buy a "new" car again.

my 1994 k1500 suburban 4x4 with 185k miles does everything i need of a truck. it's dead reliable, has cost next to nothing in repairs, comfortable, fits the whole family with room to spare. sure it only gets 15mpg... but that's better than a payment.
plus i don't feel bad when it gets a new dent
Old 02-18-2015, 06:52 AM   #9
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,816
Ah the lure of a new truck... It hits me every time I drive the three-quarter ton (93 F250 w/ heavy duty springs..) ... it drives like a log truck. But everytime I drive it, I am reminded I don't have to make $800 payment on a truck with limited duty.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:19 AM   #10
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Actually, josjor, I think that your truck is one of the best looking trucks Ford made, and I have never owned a Ford, but like that model you have and have driven one as well. KEEP IT, PUT CRATE MOTOR IN AT 300K. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #11
Road Program
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Assuming a $500 monthly payment, if you keep your truck another six months you'll break even if, somehow, it is worth zero dollars. Doing that and trading or selling it for $1k would have you come out ahead.

Of course heated seats, bluetooth, and proper cup holders are nice. Of course you can add those to any vehicle thanks to the aftermarket.
Road Program is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:22 AM   #12
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,287
Start putting aside $800 a month to see if you really have a taste for a new truck payment. If it works out, in 60 months you'll have enough cash to (mostly) pay for a new one.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #13
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,562
My main truck is a 97 GMC 1500. 350 with a auto. It started to have a cold weather knock at the crank two years ago. Lat winter it got to where it lasted about a minute before it went away and if it was below 30 degrees it would last longer. We pulled the motor last summer and rebuilt it. New bearings rings, seals, oil pump and timing set. All at 200k on its clock. I hope to get anouther 200k out of it or more.

Past that. I got a 76 Ford F100 with 175k on it. It's my back up ride at this point. It's value is going up now. And I have 2 Chevy S10s both with over 200k on them that save me money on gas.

I would love a newer truck but I refuse to pay that much for something my payed for trucks can do.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #14
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 4,736
Around here, something of that year will be long rusted out. So one is almost forced to fork over the 30k for something newer.

Doesn't like your is rusted and the paint looks good. I wouldn't consider giving it away.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:39 AM   #15
misanthropic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Really wanted a pickup again and the local Ford dealers were offering discounts on 2014 F150s. The prices they were asking for XLTs was still mid to low 30,000 range. They are nice but seem to me to be essentially a car with a bed attached. If I really needed the bed I probably would have bought one but I don't. Bought a similarly equipped car for 10,000 less. 15 miles a gallon better also. Still would like to drive a truck though...
misanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: