Modern version of Mustang Wagon:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/31/s...0-sport-wagon/

Old 11-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #917
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,243
Lord Help My Family....

for what I just got them in to......

We've been looking for a 'play' vehicle for a while now, especially pre-smog. We've been hunting craigslist looking for the right one, even driving 2 1/2 hours to look at a car (a VW Squareback that a guy was flipping.....that had some front suspension damage that wasn't disclosed in email or over the phone ahead of time......arggggghhhh).

We wanted something different, something not ordinary. So no Mustangs, '57 Chevys or the typical muscle cars. Things that piqued our interest included the aforementioned Squareback (and other Type III's), Studebakers (Larks and Wagonaires especially), early Volvo's (PV444/544, 122 and the 220 wagon). Even the Falcon wagon and Willy's Wagons got the approval nod. If you see a pattern, wagons always seemed to top the list of the cars we could both agree upon. Hell, I almost had her sold on a Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser that popped up locally, but that was killed once she realized it was longer than our full-size van....

Besides cracklist, I've also just been cruising the neighborhoods. Different routes home, just looking for "The Car". Low and behold, it's the one I've been eying for years just two blocks away. Even though it was under a cover, I knew what it was by the shape and the tailpipes. A year and a half ago, I spoke with him about it when I caught him outside when returning from a run. He didn't think he'd fix it, should probably sell it, but wasn't sure. I wasn't in the market then, but I filed it away. Until last Thursday. He was outside again. I reminded him of our conversation and made arrangements to have the wife and look at it over the weekend. Within 30-minutes of looking and talking, I got the nod from SWMBO. A couple of hours later..........

Here's Mike (on the left) the seller and second owner. He's owned it since 1980:

Cover freshly removed, family and tow vehicle in the background:

My first 'drive'. You can see the open garage of the seller in the background. Good news is the brakes kinda work:

The movers (convicted felon on the porch in the background.....from my old thread in JM):

What a unique piece of automotive styling and engineering. This fits the bill just fine:

No, it doesn't run. And the efforts of the neighbors and family weren't quite enough to get it up the driveway far enough. Time for plan B:

And there's Pete, son #2. He was on parking brake duty while I hitched it up the slopped driveway with the come-a-long:

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #918
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,599
Good!
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #919
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,785
Love those P1800's Great buy.

Jurgen's list of classic/vintage that he could realistically see himself buying:

P1800ES
240Z (unmolested)
63 Falcon (don't ask )
American Ute-- Ranchero, Caballero or El Camino

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #920
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,024
Very nice purchase. I'm a big volvo 1800 fan myself, though I prefer the coupe to the estate. (I love wagons otherwise, I just happen to think the 1800s is the most beautiful car ever made).

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:17 AM   #921
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,101
HS buddy of mine had the P1800 sedan. I've owned a 73 142. Bulletproof cars.

Good luck!

M

(I *may* still have some random Volvo parts in the barn if you run into anything odd)
Old 11-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #922
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Hey, that P1800 is about the same color as my wagon!

It's got a bit of a surprise underneath: engine swap for a warmed over 350 TBI (originally was a carbureted 307) and an NV3500 5-speed from a Silverado. It's a pretty decent tow vehicle, gets 22 mpg, and can autocross.

autocross video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVx7Y0teCP0
1992 Subaru SVX daily
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #923
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
Old 11-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #924
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,500
Callaway Corvette C7 AeroWagon for 2014...

Fer reals...

It's no FF.... but it is pretty cool for a near-supercar

http://www.callawaycars.com/cars/cal...tte-aerowagon/

From the link:
SANTA ANA, CALIFORNIA March 14, 2013 – Callaway Cars released renderings today of the company’s design study for a C7 Corvette-based shooting brake concept, with Callaway’s long-time design guru, Paul Deutschman of Deutschman Design, Montréal, QC, providing the styling direction. Callaway plans to manufacture the body package providing an openable hatch that would result in a unique configuration and increased interior space, positioning the Corvette in the elite class of two door shooting brakes.Callaway’s AeroWagon body will be manufactured in their proprietary RTM process for structural carbon parts. The KRTM (Krämer Resin Transfer Molding) process produces load carrying carbon parts in one swift molding step.

Fitted to the Callaway version of the C7 Corvette, the Callaway AeroWagon is projected to be a 200+ mph automobile while still returning the highest mileage rating in the supercar segment.
OCTOBER 1, 2013 UPDATE: Introductory price of the AeroWagon package has been set at $15,000 in natural carbon fiber finish and a painted-to-match body color option has been set at an additional $1,500. AeroWagon production is scheduled to commence in January 2014. Orders are being accepted now. To place your order or for more information, contact Joanne Mercer at Callaway’s Connecticut factory: 860 434 9002, Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM.
A-Bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:15 AM   #925
Pele2048
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I miss my 1985 Civic 4WD Wagon.

Not to be confused with the bullshit "Real Time 4WD" system that was installed on the 1987 and later Civics. They had a viscous coupling between the front and rear and only put power to the rear when the front wheels slipped.

Mine had a button the dash that you pushed and it'd activate a vacuum solenoid to lock the rear driveshaft to the front differential. Legit, Part Time, 4WD on a Civic.
Even had a Low-Range position on the gearshift that opened up in 4WD. It was to the left of 1st gear.

35 MPG.
Minor off-road capability.
That car was freaking awesome.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #926
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post

We wanted something different, something not ordinary. So no Mustangs, '57 Chevys or the typical muscle cars. Things that piqued our interest included the aforementioned Squareback (and other Type III's), Studebakers (Larks and Wagonaires especially), early Volvo's (PV444/544, 122 and the 220 wagon).
I've had an interest in the Volvo PV (444 and 544) wagons for a while. Think they're cool, spacious, Volvo reliable, and get decent mileage. Big enough to sleep in. Saw lots of them in Sweden, they were used by the telephone company, utilities, and others up into the 70's. Kind of look like a vintage Suburban. Not too common here though, wonder if they were ever officially imported?

Here's a photo http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CFAQ9QEwAg

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #927
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
I've had an interest in the Volvo PV (444 and 544) wagons for a while. Think they're cool, spacious, Volvo reliable, and get decent mileage. Big enough to sleep in. Saw lots of them in Sweden, they were used by the telephone company, utilities, and others up into the 70's. Kind of look like a vintage Suburban. Not too common here though, wonder if they were ever officially imported?

Here's a photo http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CFAQ9QEwAg
Oh yeah, they were imported. I find quite a few for sale on cracklist here (mostly the 544). I haven't seen a really clean example, most just a shell. One guy is even advertising his as a gasser project car (no running gear, though). It would be funny if it wasn't a waste of a decent car.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #928
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post

Want!

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #929
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post

Pete and I did a little work today. Cold compression on all cylinders (no oil or anything added) ran around 150 psi. We flushed the tank and fuel lines, checked the air filter and intake (all clear). Unfortunately, the fuel pump is dead, so no starting attempt right now.

Stay tuned.....

Old 11-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #930
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,024
The P1800ES was fuel injected, right? I guess it must have an electric fuel pump, all my volvo experience is with a carbureted amazon.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: