User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 102 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #931
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,078
Yup, fuel injected with an external electric fuel pump. Factory rebuilds are stupid money. I have one coming to the local auto parts store for 'only' $120. I'll have to do wiring and plumbing mods, but nothing worse than changing out the fuel pump on my 950.

That fuel injection system is archaic, for sure. All of the senors are electro-mechanical devices, known to get corrosion on the contacts, feeding misleading info to the 'computer'. I'm sure a Megasquirt system would work better and easier.

Ahhh, the joys of old cars.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #932
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
Yup, fuel injected with an external electric fuel pump. Factory rebuilds are stupid money. I have one coming to the local auto parts store for 'only' $120. I'll have to do wiring and plumbing mods, but nothing worse than changing out the fuel pump on my 950.

That fuel injection system is archaic, for sure. All of the senors are electro-mechanical devices, known to get corrosion on the contacts, feeding misleading info to the 'computer'. I'm sure a Megasquirt system would work better and easier.

Ahhh, the joys of old cars.
I'm actually a bit surprised to hear that, I thought most of the early bosch jettronic FI systems were fairly simple and robust. I don't have a lot of data about that though, just the impression I got, and 40 years of corrosion can take a toll. . . .
I owned a P1800 for a little while, like you I saw it while I was out cruising around near home, it had a crumpled front end and was on a trailer, but I offered the guy $200, and he dropped it off at my dad's house (I was young, and had grand plans. . . .). Eventually, my dad got sick of having it in his backyard, and I was living 1000 miles away, so he donated it to a public radio station, along with the running 122s that I learned to drive on. . . . I miss those cars, but you can't keep 'em all.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #933
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
I'm actually a bit surprised to hear that, I thought most of the early bosch jettronic FI systems were fairly simple and robust. I don't have a lot of data about that though, just the impression I got, and 40 years of corrosion can take a toll. . . .
At least the old BMW ones I'm familiar with are quite robust, but if they need parts or anything, it can get expensive in a hurry. There are also a lot of parts to wear out, things to leak, weird mechanical calibrations that no one knows how to really tune properly anymore...that kind of thing. When they are working, they work fine, though. Age can take a toll on anything.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #934
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
My answer to the Hypothetical "if you could only own one."

I've owned a '65 4-door Impala, 2-door Impala SS, and 2-door Biscayne. But not a '65 wagon.
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...tml?refer=news

Best Full-Size Lines of the Decade, IMHO.

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #935
Kyron
Oncler Inds

Oddometer: 194
I completely agree
Old 11-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #936
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis the Sasquatch View Post
My answer to the Hypothetical "if you could only own one."

I've owned a '65 4-door Impala, 2-door Impala SS, and 2-door Biscayne. But not a '65 wagon.
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...tml?refer=news

Best Full-Size Lines of the Decade, IMHO.
WOW! I'd buy that in a second!!!

Put some of that clear bra stuff on the high wear areas and drive it!
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #937
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis the Sasquatch View Post

Our childhood car, color and all. The 8 of us would cram in there with the back bench facing rearward trying to pursued every trucker behind us to honk.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #938
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,516
I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a wagon as a daily driver this spring. So what's available:

- 3 series BMW
- E class Merc
- V60 Volvo
- VW Sportwagen
- Subaru outback
- Acura TSX
- Audi A4 Avant

Am I overlooking anything?
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #939
bassogap
Haulin' the kids around

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a wagon as a daily driver this spring. So what's available:

- 3 series BMW
- E class Merc
- V60 Volvo
- VW Sportwagen
- Subaru outback
- Acura TSX
- Audi A4 Avant

Lexus CT? Cadillac CTS?

That's the same list I had (well, with models available in early-'09) when I went shopping.

My criteria:
1. room for me with one of my sons sitting behind me (we're a tall family)
2. AWD, which knocked out the VW (otherwise, a very nice car)
3. reliability ratings

And of course, it had to be something I actually enjoy driving, that wouldn't trigger buyer's remorse the next day/week/month/year.
bassogap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #940
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post

- 3 series BMW
- E class Merc
- V60 Volvo
- VW Sportwagen
- Subaru outback
- Acura TSX
- Audi A4 Avant

Has anyone here actually driven the Acura TSX???

It must be a decent rig as far a build quality and overall reliablity... It is pretty decent looking to and must come with some upscale features without too flashy a brand name on the hood...

A-Bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #941
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
Hey, that P1800 is about the same color as my wagon!

It's got a bit of a surprise underneath: engine swap for a warmed over 350 TBI (originally was a carbureted 307) and an NV3500 5-speed from a Silverado. It's a pretty decent tow vehicle, gets 22 mpg, and can autocross.

autocross video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVx7Y0teCP0
I love that car. I regret selling my 87 so bad, My idea was the exact same swap as you. TBI and a 5 speed. What did it take to get the stick in it?
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #942
Wingnut037
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 261
She tows better than I thought.

Wingnut037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #943
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
Has anyone here actually driven the Acura TSX???

It must be a decent rig as far a build quality and overall reliablity... It is pretty decent looking to and must come with some upscale features without too flashy a brand name on the hood...

Yes, I've had one several times for a loaner while my TSX Sedan was in for scheduled maintenance. I like it a lot. Enough power for me, plenty of room to carry stuff like my steel guitar, bass and amp and still not feel crowded.

Of course I've been very pleased with my '05 TSX that is now substantially over 100K miles and running just as well as when it was new.

I doubt you would go wrong with one.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #944
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
I love that car. I regret selling my 87 so bad, My idea was the exact same swap as you. TBI and a 5 speed. What did it take to get the stick in it?
Getting the transmission in was actually really easy. By some sheer stroke of luck, the NV3500 has the same mounting points as the 200r4 automatic that was standard in all the later box wagons (I think after '85). Just had to cut a hole in the floor, use the 200r4 mount bushing on the NV3500, and cut and weld the shift lever at a more extreme angle to clear the dash.

The pedals, on the other hand, were a pain in the ass. Had to relocate the fuse block, cut and weld the brake pedal to move it closer to the gas for heel-toe shifting as well as to make room for the clutch, and fabricate a custom clutch pedal mount. There's not any structure to the firewall there, so mounting was also pretty difficult, and finding a clutch master cylinder that fit around the massive offset brake booster these things used also took awhile. It's not a job you want to do without a welder and a bit of extra time haha.

On a whole, though, it was way easier than I expected it to be when I started the project.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #945
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassogap View Post
Lexus CT? Cadillac CTS?

That's the same list I had (well, with models available in early-'09) when I went shopping.

My criteria:
1. room for me with one of my sons sitting behind me (we're a tall family)
2. AWD, which knocked out the VW (otherwise, a very nice car)
3. reliability ratings

And of course, it had to be something I actually enjoy driving, that wouldn't trigger buyer's remorse the next day/week/month/year.

Just went through the same chat with Mrs. Snow. Add "reasonable mileage" and those were our exact thoughts. The Mrs. does not do SUV.

Sold the Sube w/ 140K - a really fun scooter but the kids are much larger now. WRX hatch was not well received by the hard core wagonheads amongst us, but.....I liked it - w/studs - an awesome snow car.

Replaced with this 535xi auto. Looked for a while (manual w/sports package was an unobtainable holy grail) and finally did a fly and drive from LA. Car is under BMW warranty and got a thorough pre sale check out from the local Dinan shop.

Note the Boise State garb on CA1. BSU got beat up by BYU good that eve - only blemish on an otherwise pleasant (and quick) 1,100m drive. Averaged about 23mph including some higher velocity useage in the Nevada desert.

Hope the higher costs will be offset - we shall see. Thus far the sportswagon has exceeded Sue's expectations but.... gonna getto up and get a rack and box on top soon.
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.

h2o_snow screwed with this post 11-19-2013 at 01:15 PM
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: