Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
apostle2 OP
The road less traveled.

Oddometer: 196
Talking Ride Report Training (pictures from Arkansas)

Hey folks,

Noob here. Been reading a lot of amazing ride reports here and wanted to start adding my own adventures. This 1st report is basically a learning session for linking pictures and such. I'm sure my commentary and awe factor will be lacking in comparison, but ya gotta start somewhere right?

The following pictures are from a couple of day trips my brother and I took over the past couple of weekends here in Arkansas.

First things first, the bikes. Mine is the Red 09' KLX250s, my brother's is the Blue WR250r. We've only had these bikes a month or so and just getting them broke-in.

Our first ride outside our normal relm was in the Mt. Magazine area. This was our first stop at Spring Lake.

A very cool landmark at Spring Lake is the Spring Lake Dam. Built many years ago with hard labor.

New Camera, finding new ways to use it, me trying to mutitask (not easy for me).

A couple of days ago we were in the Big Piney area but I forgot to take a lot of pictures. I did manage to get a few.

Here's a shot of a swinging bridge extending over Little Piney creek. Hey BigDog, from reading your reports, I know you like swinging bridges. Don't know if you've seen this one or not but you were very close to it on you last trip. Just off of Hwy. 123. I'll send ya the location if you want it.

A quick stop at Haw Creek Falls recreation area.

We left from Haw Creek Falls to ride a trail that ends at the top of mountain above Haw Creek Falls. This trail is marked from Hwy. 123 but I've never been able to find it from above. So we started at the bottom and went up. This was a very rough trail, I missed several photo ops because I was just to busy tryin to make it to the top (both bikes laid on their side at least once). My brother mentioned several times about just turning around and goin back down. But we pushed through (downed trees and all) and finally made it to the top just before dark.

At this point we were exhausted. Made it back to Hwy. 123 about dark-thirty. It was a full moon so we dodged deer all the way back to Dover, AR. Stopped at Dewayne's BBQ for a much deserved meal.

THE END.

Comments & Feedback (good or bad) welcome.

Apostle2 (aka David)

apostle2 screwed with this post 11-07-2009 at 10:55 AM
apostle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,246
good Start

It looks like you and your brother are getting off to a good start. Both bikes will take you to many locations and to many adventures. Keep up the good work and keep posting as everyone enjoys tagging along for the adventure.
refokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204
Having never submitted a ride report myself, I think that any effort deserves around of applause. I really like the Photo of the swinging bridge.......

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
arkridergc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
The brother

Just to correct Apostle2, I in no way wanted to go back down that trail. Waaay too much pucker factor for me. We did discuss running out of daylight and having to battle this crap in the dark but the gps said there was a good road just a mere 1700 feet away. (LIAR!!!) Suffice it to say that going back down was not a real option in the dark.
arkridergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,591
You're a fast learner! Thanks for your first report... come back with more on your next ride
Old 11-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,439
Very nice pictures, I rode in AR a little over a week ago and camped at Spadra Park.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
You're located in a pretty nice ds riding area, nice to have a brother to share it with.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
apostle2 OP
The road less traveled.

Oddometer: 196
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Can't wait for another chance to post another rr. I'll try to remember the camera more often next time.

Hey Spadra Park is a nice area. Very close to Mt. Magazine trails. The last time we were at Mt. Magazine we ran across three dudes from Texas, all riding KTM's. Folks come from all over to ride around here.

I'll admit we are really blessed to live in a state with so many good riding areas and get to share them with my big bro.
apostle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
eoR
Thanks For Noticing Me

Oddometer: 4,646
Nice pics.

Some of that looks oddly familiar to me.

My continuing tale of life and riding in the Arkansas Ozarks: Wandering About In The Hundred [Thousand] Acre Wood
eoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 864
great pics

I know what you mean as far as being blessed to live where we do. My brother just moved here from Colorado., once he gets back on his feet he wants to buy a bike. It would be so cool to ride the trails with your bro. (someone to help pick up the bike) let me know if your heading towards the Ozark area. Can show you some good trails in this area. I was in your neck of the woods last weekend. had a blast. <>< Craig
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
Bug Dr.
Extroverted Loner

Oddometer: 242
I'm your neighbor in Russellville. I don't have a dual sport any longer and ride a Honda ST now. Still have a desire to own another DS someday to ride these great National Forest roads in AR.

Great start to a RR, by the way.
Mike
Old 05-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #12
snowbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Very nice

I enjoyed your first RR -- beautiful area.

Thanks!

rw
snowbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
BackRoadNomad
Wandering around

Oddometer: 331
Ridin' in Arkansas

apostle2, might I add my comments to your RR..We want more-We want more! Great job for your first post with pics and narrative. Now, get out there and ride.

Central and NW AR were my stomping grounds for ten years. Hard to beat the twisties, trail and country people. (Well most country folk. Got shot at with a double barrel shotgun during a White Rock enduro in '76 after missing a turn; winding up at a dead end).
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." Steve McQueen
BackRoadNomad is offline   Reply With Quote