User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #106
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Chalbi Desert, Kenya

Since the whole village was asleep, I probably could have dozed until sunrise without anyone noticing, but once awake it was best to avoid potential hassles and roll for Marsabit, the last small Kenyan town with electricity. Yet even if I reached there, the next long stretch to Moyale at the Ethiopian border is the fiercest section. The only light at the end of this tunnel was knowing that eventually an asphalt road at the frontier would lead to Addis Ababa and hopefully to a set of mechanic’s tools to repair a broken suspension.

Out of fear and common sense, no one drives after dark in Kenya, but I hoped that also meant any bad guys were likely fast asleep dreaming of daytime plundering. Attempts to convince myself that a night ride under the stars would ease the misery were quickly squashed when I recalled, the previous day’s events. A few optimistic test bounces in the saddle confirmed that no divine healing had occurred during the last four hours, and there was no telling if the shock absorber would last another day or another mile. I was beyond the point of no return in every direction.

Unlike blazing desert days, midnight air was crisp and clean. The push of a button made the motorcycle grumble to life. But my confidence faded as yesterday’s brutal jarring resumed even worse than I remembered. There would be no escape in a first-gear crawl, easing over every ridge and rock. With zero travel in a frozen shock, violent kicking and bucking made simply hanging on to the handlebars a challenge.

At 10 miles per hour without rear suspension, I tried to calculate how many hours it would take to ride 300 miles. Maybe throttling up to 15miles per hour would shave an hour or two. Either way, between robbers and vicious terrain, one of Africa’s worst roads was ready to bang and test the limits of both my internal organs and a thoroughly abused motorcycle frame.

At least riding slow allowed me a chance to evaluate which bumps and gullies to dodge to minimize impacts. Standing on the foot pegs with bent knees was temporary relief but became too tiring, requiring rest stops every 30minutes. With fatigued arms and legs, a creeping desert dawn glowed into a bursting orange sunrise.

By noon, the last carefully packed apples had shaken into mush and the fragmented shells of hard-boiled eggs had ground together with the yolks into gooey paste. Combining the concoction together to swallow in lumps was still better than the foul-tasting local fare. But the smelly combined proteins were nutritious, and there was still a gallon of water left to last the day. My need for intense focus on the road meant that stunning savanna scenery passed by in a jiggling peripheral blur. By noon, there were still no other vehicles in sight.

Finally, just after the 20th straight hour of rolling misery, a two-room dilapidated structure appeared with barely legible, grime covered words above the tilting doorway — Marsabit Medical Center. Even though I knew more of the same still lay ahead, arriving on the town’s outskirts felt like reaching the finish line at an Olympic event.

Marsabit town is a scene out of America’s Wild West — scrawny cattle being driven past windowless ramshackle wooden cabins and clouds of red grit swirling down stony clay avenues. Nothing has been maintained or repaired since it was built decades before. Few buildings had electric power, and none had running water. Hand-painted weathered letters on broken signs described what was offered inside.

In Magic Marcie’s Fashion Design, piles of musty used clothing donated by international charities were ready to be illegally resold. Marsabit General Supermarket was a doorless shack selling milk in cartons and canned meats with labels reading “A Gift from the People of New Zealand.” What wasn’t crumbling was rusting or sat gathering dust while no one seemed to care. As in many developing countries, men stood drinking afternoon tea and cheap beers by night.

From disordered, debris-strewn markets, subservient women in lace headscarves trudged under heavy loads of vegetable baskets and bundled firewood. Engaged in their share of the labor, caped young boys in worn sandals tugged on ropes, leading bleating goats to pasture. What little water there is must be hand carried or lugged in lopsided wooden wheelbarrows wherever needed or to those who can afford it.

Jey-Jey Center is the only hotel secured by barbed wire and with a deteriorating underground cistern servicing a filthy squat toilet — at five bucks a night, the single cement cubicles were a bargain. Cleans sheets stopped mattering to me months ago, as long they don’t stink and are not overrun with fleas. At least the two-year drought had eliminated mosquitoes and the threat of malaria.

For boring evenings, a beat-down honky-tonk built of splintered planks provided economical entertainment as one strolled past broken saloon doors hanging off rusted hinges. With African rap music blaring through crackling metal speakers, the ear-splitting throbs were a deafening assault as I wandered. Safe within steel-barred cages, middle-aged, chubby Indian men peddled rotgut whiskey and warm local beers while drunks slobbered on themselves in darkened corners.

The scene was made complete as potbellied hookers with long, drooping breasts flashed forlorn smiles through decayed teeth and puffy maroon lips. But late nights in Marsabit are for partiers with more determination than me, and other than this exclusive freak show, there was nothing else enticing enough to keep me awake.

In the afternoon, the moment I ventured outside Jey-Jey’s, throngs of unkempt children crowded around me, yelling “Sweets, sweets, give me money, give me pens!” Although it’s clear that the foreigner’s role in Africa is strictly for giving, all that I offer is bumpy rides on a limping motorcycle.

Having trained their children to beg, scowling parents glared as giggling youngsters abandoned rehearsed scam-lines and jumped with delight, lining up to be next for a spin through town. Sometimes you just have to let kids be kids. With one eager child on the front and two on the back, appeasing the crowd still required a whole afternoon. Following the Pied Piper back to Jey-Jey’s, the trailing troops assured me they would stand guard as I swatted away the last of persistent horseflies and tried to forget the situation while spiraling into sleep.

No matter how good it feels, ignoring problems will not make them disappear, but leaving the bike parked for three peaceful days allowed me enough time to quit peeing burgundy and relieve an aching back. Still, the question of reaching the border returns with a confirmation by locals that bandits are active again. “They don’t tell you to stop, they shoot the driver and then attack passengers.”

Pulling off his shirt, one truck driver says, “Here, look at my body. I’ve already been shot five times.” On that thought, it’s likely the road ahead is to become more interesting still.

strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #107
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingviking View Post

Fashion statements became blade scarred faces above elaborately beaded neck disks and pierced bodies against deep midnight skin so black it was almost blue.

A funny thing is that, in Irish Gaelic, the term for a black man is "Fear Gorm" which, literally translated, means "Blue Man".

That term has been around for 1000 years, in Irish Gaelic, which means that, despite not much in the way of documented evidence, the Irish knew of central Africa long before their country was invaded by their near neighbours less than 800 years back.

And the Irish Gaelic, and probably Scot Gaelic too, term for a black man is still "Fear Gorm".
Old 12-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #108
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,214
Spent the last two mornings reading and gazing on these images, made tears well... Thank you Old Boy.

A lady friend is flying to Cape Town next month. She is built for comfort, very dark, about 55
and I'll be buying two copies of One More Day Everywhere. One for me and the other for her trip.
Looking forward to taking Robin to lunch when she returns so i can have an uninterrupted time to hear her tale.

I did read your first book several years ago, then gave it to a Navy buddy that was Search & Rescue for 8 years.

Best Regards,
OldPete
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #109
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Spent the last two mornings reading and gazing on these images, made tears well... Thank you Old Boy.

A lady friend is flying to Cape Town next month. She is built for comfort, very dark, about 55
and I'll be buying two copies of One More Day Everywhere. One for me and the other for her trip.
Looking forward to taking Robin to lunch when she returns so i can have an uninterrupted time to hear her tale.

I did read your first book several years ago, then gave it to a Navy buddy that was Search & Rescue for 8 years.

Best Regards,
OldPete
Glad you enjoy this thread and am happy to hear of your friends upcoming journey. In order to keep my publisher happy, the book reveals much more than I am able to post here.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #110
Squidbrah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Alright so....where is the rest of this ride report???

Tempted to buy the book now.
Squidbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #111
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 850
I like your lens

You should work for National Geographic….or Maxum…or maybe a combo.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #112
Summicron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Just finished the book

Just sent you a message on FB. What a great adventure book that will rank right up with Ted Simon and Lois Pryce for insights from travel and getting to know the people of the world. This is a book I am going to refer to in the future, where I can open it and read a few pages. There are short stories to enjoy on every few pages, with your insights and thoughts. You have to keep writing. You have a gift of looking at people thru the microscope and appreciating everyone's unique gifts. Great job, amigo.
Summicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #113
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies amigos. I completely forgot about this thread and will update these postings soon.