User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
bowerbird OP
BMW R65

Oddometer: 141
Battery reccomendation for BMW r65

Can anyone recommend a good battery for a BMW r65? Mine is pretty much toast and I can't spend the $175 on the OEM BMW gel battery. Thank you for any input.
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,508
Opinions on batteries are likely all over the map. I like the sealed mat batteries chiefly because of the no spill quality. I've purchased the westco/panasonic ones and have been quite happy. I replace them every 3-4 years so I haven't experienced the sudden failure some people have reported. Not cheap though somewhere around $100-120. I have purchased 2 of the interstate sealed mat batteries and both failed in just over a year. No more of those. Lots of folks like the odyssey battery, they do fit the r65 but again aren't cheap, I think more than the westco. Other than that you need to go to a shop with "normal" wet cell motorcycle batteries and measure and see what fits. They are likely the cheapest ones you will find.

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
here's what I've been using for years now.
http://www.beiterbattery.com/toyo12v...labattery.aspx
it's a great deal.
Robert

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
I'm with wirewrkr, I bought that one for my /5.
rufusswan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
pecos
BAM!!

Oddometer: 526
Google motorcycle batteries.

batterystuff.com is good. and there are others that drop ship.

I have had 3 R65s and each one I have replaced with a sealed battery.

Cost is around $85-$95 usually with free shipping.

Or go to autozone and get one for $50-60 for a traditional one.
pecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
east high
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Anyone ever find a smaller than stock battery to use? A smaller battery would be easier to hide and make the next cafe bike that much cleaner.
east high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,972
I like the sealed batts too, but i went that route primarily b/c my G/S spends time napping in the dirt occasionally

The key to going w/ a wet-acid battery (ie the kind w/ filler caps) and making it last more than 2 years is to buy it dry and fill with HCl acid yourself and slow-charge it yourself via a good 'float' charger
Buying a wet batt from a shop (even dealer) gets you likely an incomplete acid fill and a half-assed fast charge for installation. Then, when in short order the electrolyte is low, you start adding distilled water to bring the levels up to MIN. Dilluted electrolyte, bro-- shortened batt life

I'll scan the BMW factory batt-fill pamphlet tmw at work-- good stuff and universal to wet batts
Old 11-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #8
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Does anyone actually read the answers from other posts??

Why would anyone want to buy a "wet" battery when (as I pointed out) you can buy an AGM for $42.00 plus shipping?!?!?
More importantly, Old school batteries are a thing of the past!
DONE deal! Gone the way of the dinosaur!
Let me also say that just become some dealers of new batteries don't take the time to fill and slow charge a "wet" battery correctly does not mean they all are that bad.
Every dealer that has had me in the parts department has had the batteries done correctly. Weather by me or more usually by one of my staff who were trained in the correct method.
And it is the responsibility of the customer to keep that battery on an automatic charge when not in use, OR just ride the piss out of the bike, alla da time.
By brothers pristine 1975 R90/6 has a battery in it that I sold him back in 2000. No Shit, I'm not kidding. He keeps it on a battery tender.
Nuff said, it works perfectly.
Robert

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 11-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #9
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr
Does anyone actually read the answers from other posts??

Why would anyone want to buy a "wet" battery when (as I pointed out) you can buy an AGM for $42.00 plus shipping?!?!? [...]
Well: Wal-Mart, local non-BMW shops that may not have sealed batts on the shelf, cheapskate riders-- lots of reasons to give the knowledge tip to those still trying to use wet batts (and how to initialize them properly)

I advocate sealed AGM batts as i ref'd previously. Sealed may not always be available though and i'll be damned if i'm not going to let a noob know he can get a wet 12V lawn-mower battery from Home Depot/Sears/Wally Empire and get home on it. That's the point of sharing.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #10
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Well: Wal-Mart, local non-BMW shops that may not have sealed batts on the shelf, cheapskate riders-- lots of reasons to give the knowledge tip to those still trying to use wet batts (and how to initialize them properly)

I advocate sealed AGM batts as i ref'd previously. Sealed may not always be available though and i'll be damned if i'm not going to let a noob know he can get a wet 12V lawn-mower battery from Home Depot/Sears/Wally Empire and get home on it. That's the point of sharing.
Hey don't think I was pointing at you, I'm talking in general here.
and by the by he has an R 65, the same size as the /5 and most of the 1100 and 1150 oilheads.
The lawn tractor batteries are larger than the / 6 but can be manipulated to fit, but no way for an R65 unless its a monolever bike post 85.
Robert

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 11-05-2009, 11:56 PM   #11
bowerbird OP
BMW R65

Oddometer: 141
Thanks for the tips. My r655 is indeed a dual shock (1982). It seems most generic sizes are too fat to fit into the battery tray. I actually purchased a bikemaster platinum battery for around $140 (ouch) but it had a dead cell and I had to return it. They had another in on the shelf the guy at the store said it had about 9 volts in it, and he was going to charge it over night and tell me if it was OK tomorrow. Does this sound odd? is 9v in a "new" battery a bad omen?
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerbird
Thanks for the tips. My r655 is indeed a dual shock (1982). It seems most generic sizes are too fat to fit into the battery tray. I actually purchased a bikemaster platinum battery for around $140 (ouch) but it had a dead cell and I had to return it. They had another in on the shelf the guy at the store said it had about 9 volts in it, and he was going to charge it over night and tell me if it was OK tomorrow. Does this sound odd? is 9v in a "new" battery a bad omen?
Not only would I not accept that battery, but I wouldn't accept ANY battery from those guys. They don't sound like they know or care much about servicing or selling batteries.
Any reason you are not taking my advice and one others recommendation and just ordering the one from Florida?
It would have been there by now. Just curious.
Robert

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 11-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 982
When Robert speaks, I listen. At one time they even had free shipping for orders over $75. Might be worth asking. How are the wounds healing Robert...
Old 11-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #14
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,728
I have had great luck with a "small" battery that I bought (unfilled) called a 20LBS. Bought it several years ago now: dry, with acid in little containers, poured in the acid myself, it has never had a charger on it, can sit for a coupla weeks and has no problem cranking the hell out of the 60/6, and I have swapped it out onto the R100 and it cranks it over fine. I think I paid $60 iirc.

Dimensions: About 6-7/8" wide (snug!), only 3.6" front to back (small!) and about 5.5" tall (just right!). I put a little spacer behind it so that I could use the standard battery-top-snuggerdowner, leaving the pos and neg posts forward of the crosspiece.

They are sealed, no-maintenance, lead acid (SLA). Either SLA or AGM is the only way to go, in my book. Don't even THINK about a vented, wet battery on a bike.

That battery cross-references to a Deka ETX20L. Those cost about $80 at the local AutoZone or at my local battery shop.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #15
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
I have had great luck with a "small" battery that I bought (unfilled) called a 20LBS. Bought it several years ago now: dry, with acid in little containers, poured in the acid myself, it has never had a charger on it, can sit for a coupla weeks and has no problem cranking the hell out of the 60/6, and I have swapped it out onto the R100 and it cranks it over fine. I think I paid $60 iirc.

Dimensions: About 6-7/8" wide (snug!), only 3.6" front to back (small!) and about 5.5" tall (just right!). I put a little spacer behind it so that I could use the standard battery-top-snuggerdowner, leaving the pos and neg posts forward of the crosspiece.

They are sealed, no-maintenance, lead acid (SLA). Either SLA or AGM is the only way to go, in my book. Don't even THINK about a vented, wet battery on a bike.

That battery cross-references to a Deka ETX20L. Those cost about $80 at the local AutoZone or at my local battery shop.

Right, but the mans bike is an R65.
The battery tray is very tight.
Yours won't fit.
R

www.wirewerkes.com