ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 05:22 AM   #1546
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog View Post
I would be up for a ride on that weekend. I don't matter which day for me. I know a lot of good fireroads and tight paved switchbacks around south mountian and just north of morganton and in the linville gourge brown mountian area if yau'll are intrested in that area. Lot's of good gravel riding in the area. easy riding on a big dualsport or a smaller street bike, or sport touring bike. I have a klr and a fz-1 that I can ride. have rode both in the area many times before. If you want I could set up a route for a ride if yau'll want. are you wanting to ride from the lake wylie area or what.
Augie-yes on the brown Mtn linville area, I would like to stay mainly gravel in that area......but I am going to trailer up there, no desire to ride my xr with knobbies down 321 for an hour each way.....but we may have a slab it up group and a wuss out group and we can meet in Morganton or lenoir?
Knybanjo we wil set for Saturday..... Hope you can make it
Dirty are you in on this?
BOIKE333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #1547
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIKE333 View Post
Augie-yes on the brown Mtn linville area, I would like to stay mainly gravel in that area......but I am going to trailer up there, no desire to ride my xr with knobbies down 321 for an hour each way.....but we may have a slab it up group and a wuss out group and we can meet in Morganton or lenoir?
Yes, this is assuming that my F800GS forks get machined next week before Friday, and then that I get them back on the bike without any issues. Right now I'm not seeing any, so the main thing is that the machine shop doesn't run into any issues or take too long. Worst case, I could always bring up the KDX200 and leave the GF. But I'll need to get a new tag before next weekend. Unless you find it on the side of the road.

This is also assuming that I survive the GNCC race in two days.

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:49 AM   #1548
SuedeGopher
Target

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Interested in having a third type hang around? That'd be slab it but wuss out quickly on the dirt :)
Old 04-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #1549
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
You got a whole week to swap on some knobbies!

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #1550
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 705
fire roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedeGopher View Post
Interested in having a third type hang around? That'd be slab it but wuss out quickly on the dirt :)
You won't have any problems on these gravel roads. all are maintained and I have done them on my fz with street tires and flasher following on his 750 marader suzuki.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #1551
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
You won't have any problems on these gravel roads. all are maintained and I have done them on my fz with street tires and flasher following on his 750 marader suzuki.
Then I shouldn't break much on my bike... Where and what time we meeting for slabbing up?
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #1552
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 705
sat dualsport ride

how bout we meet at exit 14 on I-85, Bessmer city exit at 9:00am for any one wanting to ride up. we could meet up with the others at rt18 and I-40, exit 103 at the McDonalds in Morganton. It is right at the junction on north side of 40. we should be there by 10:00. It is about a 40 mile ride to morganton. let me know if this will work for everyone.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #1553
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,105
I'll hope to see ya at one of those...probably Morganton so I can stick to back roads and skip G-town.

Can only chase the group for little while tho....once we get up into WC at some point I need to peel off for TN and do little more RDV scouting.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #1554
wesdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Ride

Blew the Achilles! Out for healing and rehab! Very jealous...

Quote:
Well lets go ahead and say we are going to go up to the mountains on the 13th or 14th.......we can decide which day depending on weather.......who all wants in?
wesdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #1555
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 528
Ride Report - Maple Grove Church Rd/187

Rode a loop on gravel/dirt roads north of Morganton yesterday that included about 18 miles on Maple Grove Church Rd/187. Great views and many switchbacks where you can see the road below where you had just ridden. Water trickling down the mountain, mountain laurel and flowers starting to bloom. Great ride! Photos and a road profile clipped from Google maps below.

Here are the GPS coordinates that you can paste into Google Maps to check it out further:

35.980507,-81.719999

BluRidgeRider

BluRidgeRider screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 05:04 AM
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #1556
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgeRider View Post
Rode a loop on gravel/dirt roads north of Morganton yesterday that included about 18 miles on Maple Grove Church Rd/187. Great views and many switchbacks where you can see the road below where you had just ridden. Water trickling down the mountain, mountain laurel and flowers starting to bloom. Great ride! Photos and a road profile clipped from Google maps below.

Here are the GPS coordinates that you can paste into Google Maps to check it out further:

35.980507,-81.719999

BluRidgeRider
Thanks for the pics and coordinates. I'm going to have to head this way soon.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #1557
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Quote:
bout we meet at exit 14 on I-85, Bessmer city exit at 9:00am for any one wanting to ride up.
That will work for me, any particular place at that exit?

Dirty, you going to be heading north up 77 or starting out in Charlotte? We can meet up at exit 82 on 77 if you're taking the trip in the morning. I'm about 40 miles from exit 14 on 85 via super slab.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #1558
advzebra
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Nice BluRidgeRider!
Recently road Maple Grove Church as well - fantastic road, I looped it with Table Rock rd a few days back - 90 miles total!

These are fantastic roads to go have fun on!
advzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #1559
pieeye
Go Far...Get Lost

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by advzebra View Post
Nice BluRidgeRider!
Recently road Maple Grove Church as well - fantastic road, I looped it with Table Rock rd a few days back - 90 miles total!

These are fantastic roads to go have fun on!
I was up there yesterday and ran (in addition to a bunch of other stuff) "Old" Table Rock and Table Rock. All the maps I've seen show the two connecting but we ran into closed gates at the end of Table Rock. Does anyone know if these gates are seasonal or are the maps all wrong?
pieeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #1560
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,105
The Govt. likes gates.