ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #1801
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 702
upcoming ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWolve View Post
I just found this thread on ADV, and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Chris, and I just moved to CLT from Upstate NY a few months ago.

I also just picked up my first "ADV" bike - a 2007 Buell Ulysses. I also have a 03 Harley Fatboy, 04 Buell Firebolt, 77 Honda CB750F Super Sport, and a few other 2-wheeled projects.

I've had the Ulysses for a couple weeks now, and absolutely love it. I'm looking for some other ADV riders in the area who might be able to show me some good places to ride, eat, etc. I'd rather spend time tearing up some mountain roads than standing around drinking beer, and besides, the Uly looks way out of place at bike night!

As you can probably tell, I'm also a bit of a gearhead. I have a decent 2 car garage that is completely dedicated to bikes and fabrication. I have a TIG, a 9" South Bend Lathe, various lifts, etc. So if anyone gets stuck and needs a place to work on something, let me know. I also have a truck and small trailer, just in case of breakdowns. (Lost a belt on my Firebolt a couple months ago and it was nice to be able to pull her home easily.)

Anyways, I'm subscribing to this thread and will try to make a meet-up or ride one of these days in the near future. I have a lot planned for the new Uly, and I've been reading this forum for a while now to plan out what I want to do with it.

Glad to have you as a fellow adv'er. we talked about doing a big bike dualsport street touring ride on sat., 7/6/13 at our last meeting. if you can join us I'll be posting something up in the near future. we would love to have you join in if y'a can.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #1802
augiedog
augie dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
Numa / Augie.....

Please post up some details of Larry's unfortunate (and rather bizarre, quite frankly) adventure the other day so everyone can stay in the loop. Prayers sent from here and we look forward to a full recovery.
I visited with larry (flasher) today and everything went well with the surgery. He is staying with his brother untill he is able to get around on his own.He was pretty banged up from the fall. He was taking a picture of a waterfall on tryon mt. near rt 108 and rt74 when the edge of the roadway caved in and he fell about 12-15 ft into a creek on some large rocks where he severly broke his right leg in several places, hurt his back and damaged his hips and his left leg. he was transported to spartinburg regional medical center where he underwent surgery. he will be on crutches,and a walker for about 6 months.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:53 AM   #1803
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog View Post
I visited with larry (flasher) today and everything went well with the surgery. He is staying with his brother untill he is able to get around on his own.He was pretty banged up from the fall. He was taking a picture of a waterfall on tryon mt. near rt 108 and rt74 when the edge of the roadway caved in and he fell about 12-15 ft into a creek on some large rocks where he severly broke his right leg in several places, hurt his back and damaged his hips and his left leg. he was transported to spartinburg regional medical center where he underwent surgery. he will be on crutches,and a walker for about 6 months.

That's terrible. Our thoughts are with him for a swift recovery. If there's anything any of us can do let us know.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:55 AM   #1804
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Quote:
Glad to have you as a fellow adv'er. we talked about doing a big bike dualsport street touring ride on sat., 7/6/13 at our last meeting. if you can join us I'll be posting something up in the near future. we would love to have you join in if y'a can.
Street dirt like last time? If so I'm in.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #1805
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWolve View Post
I'm near Huntersville. Just off Mt. Holly / Huntersville Rd, between Beattie's Ford and Brookshire.
Welcome to the Asylum, neighbor. I'm right off Brookshire, about 2 miles off Mt. Holly Huntersville toward town - very close to you.

A new friend with a welder, tools, and trailer is always good.

Look forward to meeting you in person. Enjoy the forum and the bikes.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #1806
StarWolve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
I'm definitely up for that. I'm not super confident off road with this bike yet, and I need to get some better tires for trails, but I can handle street and fire roads without any problems.

If anyone wants to meet up this weekend, I'll be around and looking to ride. I'm really looking forward to finding some nice roads/trails around the area, and meeting a few more like-minded riders.
IBA #41635 - 2003 HD Fatboy, 2004 Buell XB12R Firebolt, 2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses

"Boredom is my worst enemy. It's killed a lot of my friends, but it won't get me. When I get bored, I go risk my life somewhere." - Larry Niven, Ringworld
StarWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #1807
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
Street dirt like last time? If so I'm in.
We talkin mainly gravel/trails or more road?
BOIKE333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #1808
augiedog
augie dog

upcoming ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIKE333 View Post
We talkin mainly gravel/trails or more road?
It don't really matter to me. I think most were wanting to do some tight paved switchback mountian roads with a few fireroads thrown in. I was thinking about the linville, brown mt., mountian city area. I also know a lot of good fireroads and tight mountian paved sections over around the brevard, waynesville area that most of you have probally never ridden. several of the fireroads are 30 or more miles long. Ya'll decide and i'll lay out a trip on either section. the brevard area has more gravel and offroad.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #1809
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
It don't really matter to me. I think most were wanting to do some tight paved switchback mountian roads with a few fireroads thrown in. I was thinking about the linville, brown mt., mountian city area. I also know a lot of good fireroads and tight mountian paved sections over around the brevard, waynesville area that most of you have probally never ridden. several of the fireroads are 30 or more miles long. Ya'll decide and i'll lay out a trip on either section. the brevard area has more gravel and offroad.
I'm up for whatever the group decides. Having new steering head bearings installed on the V-Strom tomorrow. Then I'm ready for whatever.

BluRidgeRider
BluRidgeRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #1810
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
Here we go...

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #1811
pieeye
Go Far...Get Lost

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
Subscribed!
pieeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:17 AM   #1812
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Quote:
I wasn't there so I don't know what you guys had in mind but I'll always vote for more fire roads.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:20 AM   #1813
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post

I'm in. Looks like a great time, have fun.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #1814
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom119 View Post

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #1815
Flasher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Hi all

Thanks for all the well wishes. Just finished therapy for the day. What a pain. LOL. May be quite a while before I ride again. Doc said 90 days of no pressure on crutches. Then we will see what it looks like. Augie and I will try to bring the bike home on the second of July. Super nice guy lived nearby took bike to his home ,covered and secured. Hope all of you have a great 4th of July.
Flasher
Flasher is offline   Reply With Quote