ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #2266
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
The Sandhills are great riding. If anyone is up for a challenge come race the Sandblast Rally and hit those roads as fast as you can! If racing isn't your thing come out to spectate or volunteer. First weekend of March, it's a great time, see you there!

http://sandblastrally.linaracing.com/2014/

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #2267
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgeRider View Post
Had a very nice day riding with Augie down in the Sandhills area south of Chesterfield, SC. Figured it would be a bit cold up in the mountains today so we decided to head south and check out the roads inside of the Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge.

By the end of the day we had ridden on hard pack sand, loose sand, wet sand, grass covered sand, gravel, dirt, mud and ruts. At one point, we even took a little detour through the woods where no trail existed, over a mound and across a ditch. (Riding in the woods sans trail and through ditches on a V-Strom with luggage is exciting.) Would have been even more fun on a light dual sport, but Augie’s KLR and my V-Strom handled it all just fine. My new Michelin Anakee IIIs performed admirably and the tread did not fill up with mud or wet sand.

Here are a few photos:

We tried to eat a late lunch at Carolina Restaurant & Steak House in Chesterfield – I have heard the food is very good there – but they close early on Sundays and we were too late. Chinese food was the substitute and it was tasty.

Augie: Thanks for using your GPS to improvise once we started running into closed gates. That was fun!

Numa
Wow looks like some great roads, are they part of the HOCAT trail system, I really want to get down there this winter and ride some of them.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #2268
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIKE333 View Post
Wow looks like some great roads, are they part of the HOCAT trail system, I really want to get down there this winter and ride some of them.
I am not familiar with the HOCAT trail system, but you will have a blast on your XR down in the area where we were yesterday. I'm already envisioning a NitroRoo produced video of you and your dual sport posse roosting down those trails.

Augie and I have already talked about going back again. We will take a more direct route down there next time -- we rode a series of back roads to get down there yesterday -- so that we'll have more time in the park.

We pretty much had the whole place to ourselves yesterday. We saw a few cars on the paved roads that cut through the park, but didn't see a single other person while we were off of the tarmac.

Numa

Check out -- Eighteen Years in the Making

Maps can only lead to conjecture, whereas proof is born in the ride.
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #2269
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
I am not familiar with the HOCAT trail system, but you will have a blast on your XR down in the area where we were yesterday. I'm already envisioning a NitroRoo produced video of you and your dual sport posse roosting down those trails.

Augie and I have already talked about going back again. We will take a more direct route down there next time -- we rode a series of back roads to get down there yesterday -- so that we'll have more time in the park.

We pretty much had the whole place to ourselves yesterday. We saw a few cars on the paved roads that cut through the park, but didn't see a single other person while we were off of the tarmac.

Numa
thanks for posting up the pictures from yesterday. I had a great time and enjoyed your company as usual. lookin forward to a return trip real soon. it was great to find some off road riding down south. hope we can talk some of the others into a trip there soon. see y'a thursdey at hawthornes.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #2270
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Nice pics, that definitely looks like a very fun place to ride!
Old 12-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #2271
parallaxbill
Mid-Carolina ADVR

Oddometer: 242
My son and I have been riding the Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge on Sunday mornings lately. It's a great quiet place to explore.
Watch out for the deep sand though!

A tough sandy section.

At the middle Ox Pen Lake boat ramp.

This is a cool spot to find.

parallaxbill screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 04:17 AM
parallaxbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:44 AM   #2272
parallaxbill
Mid-Carolina ADVR

Quote:
Had a very nice day riding with Augie down in the Sandhills area south of Chesterfield, SC. Figured it would be a bit cold up in the mountains today so we decided to head south and check out the roads inside of the Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge.

By the end of the day we had ridden on hard pack sand, loose sand, wet sand, grass covered sand, gravel, dirt, mud and ruts. At one point, we even took a little detour through the woods where no trail existed, over a mound and across a ditch. (Riding in the woods sans trail and through ditches on a V-Strom with luggage is exciting.) Would have been even more fun on a light dual sport, but Augie’s KLR and my V-Strom handled it all just fine. My new Michelin Anakee IIIs performed admirably and the tread did not fill up with mud or wet sand.

Here are a few photos:

We tried to eat a late lunch at Carolina Restaurant & Steak House in Chesterfield – I have heard the food is very good there – but they close early on Sundays and we were too late. Chinese food was the substitute and it was tasty.

Augie: Thanks for using your GPS to improvise once we started running into closed gates. That was fun!

Numa
I know that spot these pics were taken. Been there many times in my truck, mountain bike and my KLR most recently. It's the high ground up above Ox Pen lakes. Very scenic for such flat land in general. That road can be very soft and difficult when the sand is dry. Trust me!

Be careful of your speed and ANY off "designated road" riding. It's a federal wildlife refuge and if you are caught breaking the rules the fines will be very very high. Plus, more importantly we all don't want people to look on motorcyclist as a problem in the refuge. We usually just putt around the legal speed limits for a few hours looking for deer, fox squirrels, wild turkeys and the like, taking pictures. It keeps it nice...and open for all. :smile:

parallaxbill screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 04:15 PM
Old 12-17-2013, 03:46 AM   #2273
parallaxbill
Mid-Carolina ADVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC61 View Post
The Sandhills are great riding. If anyone is up for a challenge come race the Sandblast Rally and hit those roads as fast as you can! If racing isn't your thing come out to spectate or volunteer. First weekend of March, it's a great time, see you there!

http://sandblastrally.linaracing.com/2014/
My son and I are planning a ride down to watch. Where are the best spectator areas located? The website is kind of thin on information.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #2274
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,478
new in town. is there a meet and greet are is this a ride thread?
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #2275
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
Welcome! We meet at Hawthorne's Pizza on 7th in Charlotte on the third Thursday of each month to socialize, talk motorcycles and organize rides. The thread is used primarily to organize rides, keep in touch and post ride reports.

We are meeting at Hawthorne's this Thursday (in two nights). Stop on by and introduce yourself.

Numa

Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #2276
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallaxbill View Post
My son and I have been riding the Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge on Sunday mornings lately. It's a great quiet place to explore.
Watch out for the deep sand though!

A tough sandy section.

At the middle Ox Pen Lake boat ramp.

This is a cool spot to find.

Great photos! I look forward to heading back down there in the near future to do some more exploring.

Numa

Old 12-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #2277
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
Hawthorne's Pizza at 1701 E. 7th St. is sorta kinda centrally located re: North vs. South, etc. and has some of the best pizza in town.

NEXT MEET-UP IS THURSDAY, DECEMBER 19th, 2013 AT HAWTHORNE'S ON 7th ST. AROUND 6 PM FOR MOST FOLKS BUT SHOW UP WHEN YOU CAN!
Bump from the first page...

Quote:
Sorry that I'll miss the December meet-up. Y'all have fun! I'll be thinking about ya the whole time i'm in Boca Raton. Promise.
Proud to have ridden all 50 US States. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #2278
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Just passing through or staying a while? Met you at Ricks RDV last year, EvanADV was there too and he usually shows up to the meets.

Nice to see you again if you can make it, we have anywhere from 1 (long/short story ) to about 15 show up.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #2279
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
Just passing through or staying a while? Met you at Ricks RDV last year, EvanADV was there too and he usually shows up to the meets.

Nice to see you again if you can make it, we have anywhere from 1 (long/short story ) to about 15 show up.
Hey man, I remember you too from the RDV. Been trying to think of a way to take my dog along on trips ever since.

Welcome to the area, hope you can make it to pizza.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #2280
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
....we have anywhere from 1 (long/short story ) to about 15 show up....
And four or five years from now we MAY let Numa off the hook for that. Maybe.

I'm just glad nobody could see the temporary panic on my face when he txt'd me (I was in Des Moines, IA) and asked where everybody was. For a full minute I was sure it was ME that had mis-counted the weeks!
Proud to have ridden all 50 US States. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote