ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #2491
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 686
sunday big dualsport ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgeRider View Post
How about meeting at 9:00 AM at the Bojangles on Rt. 274, Bessemer City Exit, off of Interstate 85?

Augie, Alan, Larry, Loren, JMforPres, Katoom119, Evan, VStromNC, ParallaxBill, et al.: Who's up for a ride?

Numa
I'm good with the mountian ride on sunday. will meet everyone at the Bojangles. Flasher bought my other KLR and most likely will want to ride too. I,ll send opa a Loren a PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #2492
StarWolve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88

The forecast is starting to look better, too. Any idea where the tanks will be headed? I'd like to do a map recon so I can learn the area a bit in advance.
IBA #41635 - 2003 HD Fatboy, 2004 Buell XB12R Firebolt, 2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses

"Boredom is my worst enemy. It's killed a lot of my friends, but it won't get me. When I get bored, I go risk my life somewhere." - Larry Niven, Ringworld
StarWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #2493
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWolve View Post
The forecast is starting to look better, too. Any idea where the tanks will be headed? I'd like to do a map recon so I can learn the area a bit in advance.
I will talk over possible routes with Augie. It's been a while since I've ridden Maple Grove Church Rd (aka Maple-Sally), Pineola Rd, Table Rock Rd and Old NC 105. May try to do something up in that area, unless Augie has something new that would be good for us to try.

I will post something soon.

Numa

Check out -- Eighteen Years in the Making

Maps can only lead to conjecture, whereas proof is born in the ride.
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #2494
StarWolve
Adventurer

Quote:
I will talk over possible routes with Augie. It's been a while since I've ridden Maple Grove Church Rd (aka Maple-Sally), Pineola Rd, Table Rock Rd and Old NC 105. May try to do something up in that area, unless Augie has something new that would be good for us to try.

I will post something soon.

Numa

Thanks - I'll be checking out those area to get familiar with them and whatever locations are decided.

I also picked up a drift camera last year, so I should be able to get some decent video this weekend. I need to get the battery charger mounted under the seat prior to the ride - the batteries are only good for about 2 hours of video. I mainly got it for "cya" for commuting, but it does take decent video and I have it mounted on my helmet.
IBA #41635 - 2003 HD Fatboy, 2004 Buell XB12R Firebolt, 2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses

"Boredom is my worst enemy. It's killed a lot of my friends, but it won't get me. When I get bored, I go risk my life somewhere." - Larry Niven, Ringworld
Old 02-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #2495
StarWolve
Adventurer

Table Rock and 105 look interesting. I've ridden the Forestry Road / Craig Creek / Brown Mtn Beach Road on the other side of 181, and that wasn't too bad on the Uly. Looking forward to Sunday, regardless if where we go!

Old 02-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #2496
GTV630
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIKE333 View Post
Anybody up for a local DS ride?

In list-
Nitroroo
Pie eye
Gtv360
Mongle
JEEPJEFF
Paralaxbill
Evanadv
Maffud
I could do Sunday afternoon, although my time is a little limited. I could be at Reuben's (or wherever we are meeting) at 1:15 pm. I'd have to bug out at 4:30 though. If you're cool with that I'm in.
GTV630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:31 AM   #2497
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Sunday, Feb. Adv Ride for the Big Bikes

I talked with Augie some last night and here is the general plan for Sunday:
  • Meet at Bessemer City Exit off of I85 at Bojangles at 9:00 AM
  • Augie will lead us on some back roads up to Morganton
  • We'll head up Maple Grove Church Rd (Maple Sally) for about 20 miles of gravel twisty road
  • Then head West on Rt 90 and Pineola Rds over to Jonas Ridge
  • Depending on the time, we'll either head over to Famous Louise's for lunch or ride down Table Rock Rd. for about 15 more miles of gravel road
  • If we do Table Rock before lunch, depending on time, we'll head up to Louise's or back into Morganton for a meal
  • If we hit Louise's after Table Rock, we'll probably make the run down Old NC 105 on the return
  • At each step, we will reassess based on time and road conditions and alter plans based on the group's decisions
Numa

Old 02-06-2014, 06:45 AM   #2498
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
I talked with Augie some last night and here is the general plan for Sunday:
  • Meet at Bessemer City Exit off of I85 at Bojangles at 9:00 AM
  • Augie will lead us on some back roads up to Morganton
  • We'll head up Maple Grove Church Rd (Maple Sally) for about 20 miles of gravel twisty road
  • Then head West on Rt 90 and Pineola Rds over to Jonas Ridge
  • Depending on the time, we'll either head over to Famous Louise's for lunch or ride down Table Rock Rd. for about 15 more miles of gravel road
  • If we do Table Rock before lunch, depending on time, we'll head up to Louise's or back into Morganton for a meal
  • If we hit Louise's after Table Rock, we'll probably make the run down Old NC 105 on the return
  • At each step, we will reassess based on time and road conditions and alter plans based on the group's decisions
Numa

I would love to go BUT Sunday is my Bday and my wife arranged for a family gathering...... Probably would not go well if I did not attend.

Jon
Old 02-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #2499
StarWolve
Adventurer

The route sounds great. I've been wanting to explore more of that area.

Does any of that go into the Brown Mountain OHV trails? There's a pass you're supposed to purchase for that section.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #2500
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC View Post
I would love to go BUT Sunday is my Bday and my wife arranged for a family gathering...... Probably would not go well if I did not attend. Jon
Well, it is YOUR birthday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWolve View Post
...Does any of that go into the Brown Mountain OHV trails? There's a pass you're supposed to purchase for that section.
You will not need a pass. We ride fast enough through that section that the Rangers can't catch us. (You don't have to be the fastest rider in the group through Brown Mtn, you just need to be faster than at least one other rider.)

Numa

Old 02-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #2501
StarWolve
Adventurer

Quote:
You will not need a pass. We ride fast enough through that section that the Rangers can't catch us. (You don't have to be the fastest rider in the group through Brown Mtn, you just need to be faster than at least one other rider.)

Numa

Haha! Well, in that case, I'll pull over to let you guys escape. Military gets free passes, but I haven't picked mine up yet this year. I doubt they'll ticket me - I outrank them, right?!

Old 02-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #2502
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 735
Quote:

you just need to be faster than at least one other rider.)

Numa
That's been more or less the way I ride in a group and worked so far

Ask StarWolve about our last ride in which I was having little fun on Old 18? and a cop was in an oncoming lane and flashed his lights and I saw him trying to turn around but I was long gone. I was more worried that he was going to catchup to a straggler in our group.

Jon
Old 02-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #2503
StarWolve
Adventurer

I was watching for brake lights and he never touched them! I think that was just a "hey, slow down" warning - good thing he wasn't behind on his quota.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #2504
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Sick

Well damn, sick, and I don't mean in a good way. I am tentative for our local ride at this point, doc just told me I have bronchitis! Karma's a bitch huh?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #2505
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIKE333 View Post
Well damn, sick, and I don't mean in a good way. I am tentative for our local ride at this point, doc just told me I have bronchitis! Karma's a bitch huh?
Your killing me... I just finished smashing 8 out of 10 fingers spooning new knobbies on!

Get better man! Don't mess around with it. Guy that has the shop next to me went from a little cold/bronchitis to full on pneumonia. He is a sick dude.

Don't feel like you have to "man up" to ride this weekend. Get better, we haven't even really gotten into spring yet. Worse case scenario is Numa has to put up with me.
Mongle is online now   Reply With Quote