ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #2551
Flasher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
Man, a guy makes one mistake and we never let him forget. But I do hope he holds us a nice table this time.
Yea man , tell me about it

Out bustin' gass
Flasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:18 AM   #2552
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 584
sundays ride

I am glad everyone enjoyed the ride last sunday. didn;t seem to be much of a dust problem for such a large group. look forward to doin it again real soon.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:24 AM   #2553
The Opa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Yeah, good work Numa!

Here's a link for passing about seven minutes of your snow day. It was linked over in the hdr thread.

Beautiful time lapse from Wyoming.

Opa Rides
The Opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #2554
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
Sounds like a great opportunity to "bump" as a reminder for the date - wouldn't want anyone to show up a week early! Joe
Thank you! I now have the dates correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog View Post
Numa if you don't mind please confirm that you have seen and fully understand this message. Thanks Augie, your friend.!!!!!
I will call you, Augie so that you 'remember' to show up this time.

Quote:
Man, a guy makes one mistake and we never let him forget. But I do hope he holds us a nice table this time.
Thanks for never letting me forget my one mistake. You guys would make someone a good wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
Yea man , tell me about it
I feel your pain.

Numa

Suzuki V-Strom DL-650K6

Maps can only lead to conjecture, whereas proof is born in the ride.
BluRidgeRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #2555
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
Thanks for keeping the lights on!!!
We've been very lucky so far. Almost no outages on our system from this storm. Hopefully, the weather will clear soon before we have any major problems.

If it remains clear on our system, beginning tomorrow morning, we'll be sending some of our crews to help other electrical systems in North Carolina restore service. We are lucky to have a great group of linemen who work tirelessly, in hazardous conditions, to keep the power on and restore service when nature wreaks havoc. I don't use the term loosely, but these guys are truly impressive!

Numa

Suzuki V-Strom DL-650K6

Old 02-13-2014, 08:16 AM   #2556
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgeRider View Post
We've been very lucky so far. Almost no outages on our system from this storm. Hopefully, the weather will clear soon before we have any major problems.

If it remains clear on our system, beginning tomorrow morning, we'll be sending some of our crews to help other electrical systems in North Carolina restore service. We are lucky to have a great group of linemen who work tirelessly, in hazardous conditions, to keep the power on and restore service when nature wreaks havoc. I don't use the term loosely, but these guys are truly impressive!

Numa
That's good to hear. We got a little of the wet stuff that sticks to everything last night, but not too much. Little bit of snow for a couple hours this morning then it looks like we're done with this mess.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #2557
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,836
Quote:
That's good to hear. We got a little of the wet stuff that sticks to everything last night, but not too much. Little bit of snow for a couple hours this morning then it looks like we're done with this mess.
We got dry, granular snow with just a little sleet yesterday, into the evening. Maybe 4" by 11:00. Then at 8:00 or so this morning, snow started hammering down at about a 2" per hour pace. Just now tapering off. Looks like over a foot out there.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #2558
GTV630
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Wicked

Yesterday we sent all the employees home around 1 pm. I left there at 2:30 and my normal 20 minute drive home took 1 hour due to wrecks and people driving like they have never seen snow before in their life! I was in my 2wd F150 with a little weight in back. I caught one guy in a similar truck literally going walking pace. I would have passed him except he had to drive down the middle of the road...you know for safety.

Yesterday it was mostly powder and wasn't really that bad for driving. I spent the rest of the evening playing with the kids. Today I wanted to get the DRZ out and try riding in the snow. We have about 6-7 inches on the ground and it still going. Unfortunately for riding, we got a think layer of ice on top now and everything is crunchy. I bundled up and pulled the bike out.

It was hard going! I had to break though the top layer as I went, so I couldn't get much momentum. Even went out into a field and 2nd gear was about all the faster I could get going. It was a little fun doing big power slides though. I was hoping to drag my kids around on a saucer, but I didn't have enough traction. Oh well, at least I got out and gave it a shot.

The look of being worn out!

My company has closed the plant until Monday. At least the wet stuff we are getting now makes good snowballs. "Hey kids, want to go outside and play?"
GTV630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #2559
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,190
Looks like a solid 8" here.

Plus there's a bunch of snow outside.
States left to ride: MI, WI, MN, ND, ID, NV, OR, WA, AK and HI. IBA #48773
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #2560
ADVGirlCharlotte
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 103
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
Looks like a solid 8" here.

Plus there's a bunch of snow outside.
Um, TMI!

http://www.globalwomenwhoride.com/?p=4311
ADVGirlCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #2561
StarWolve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Our company finally closed around 2 yesterday. Just late enough to drive home in the worst of it.

The "Southern Gentleman" (Redneck) driving in front of me decided to STOP on a very steeply inclined corner, 1/4 mile from my home, because another car was already in the ditch and he was going to pull them out. I was completely stopped, then my truck started sliding sideways. A few minutes later, another idiot with bald tires decided that it was a good idea to try to make it through even though there's already 5 cars in the ditch... and he slid into my bumper. Luckily, no damage to my bumper, but his door is dented.

So a hour later, I made it home, after being pulled out and more than a few choice words for said redneck and idiot. (And another guy who told me that I shouldn't be driving in this... thanks, I've only been driving in Upstate NY snow for 30 years - it's awful hard to maintain needed forward momentum on an incline when someone STOPS in front of you for no good reason) The worst part of it - The redneck actually told me he was just out driving around looking to pull people out, and realized afterwards that he caused the whole mess by stopping. Well, congratulations, you caused 10 cars to go off the road because you were so excited to stop and pull 1 car out.

My truck is messed up. Must have clipped a brake line or ABS wire when I went into the ditch, as I'm getting a "service brake system" warning, and I have no pressure on the brake pedal. I managed to limp it into the driveway using 4x4, 1st gear, and the parking brake. So now I get to have my truck towed, brakes fixed, etc... and pay my insurance deductible for that. Thank you very much, Mr. NC Redneck.

All in all, a wonderful day. Waiting on a tow and a rental car tomorrow. I wonder if the Ulysses would do well in this snow?!
IBA #41635 - 2003 HD Fatboy, 2004 Buell XB12R Firebolt, 2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses

"Boredom is my worst enemy. It's killed a lot of my friends, but it won't get me. When I get bored, I go risk my life somewhere." - Larry Niven, Ringworld
StarWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #2562
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWolve View Post
I wonder if the Ulysses would do well in this snow?!
A New York City driver would have rammed said Southern Gentleman off of the road. I guess it was the "Up State" in you that gave him a brake (pun intended).

If I remember correctly, those were snow tires you had on the Uly on Sunday. Give it a try!

Numa

Suzuki V-Strom DL-650K6

Old 02-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #2563
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

It's melting like crazy now, should be nice tomorrow. Mud, snow, ice... all the same and you seem to like riding that Uly in the slippery stuff.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #2564
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV630 View Post
Today I wanted to get the DRZ out and try riding in the snow. We have about 6-7 inches on the ground and it still going. Unfortunately for riding, we got a think layer of ice on top now and everything is crunchy. I bundled up and pulled the bike out.
I SO much wanted to get the Tiger out today, but no knobby for the rear and we had that ice layer in between the snow layers here too. I wouldn't have had any problem breaking through the ice on the beast, but traction would have been a problem. Oh, and the 500 pounds... that may have been a problem in the slippery stuff too.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #2565
StarWolve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
It's melting like crazy now, should be nice tomorrow. Mud, snow, ice... all the same and you seem to like riding that Uly in the slippery stuff.
I've been working over all the Buell message boards and sites trying to find a spare set of wheels. I have a line on a set of regular XB wheels, which I may use on the street. (The Uly wheels had extra material around the front rim, and are a little stronger - so I would save those for the off-road set.)

And if that falls through... well, I'll have to keep an eye our for a DR 400. I used to have a DR350SE, and that was a fun little bike.
IBA #41635 - 2003 HD Fatboy, 2004 Buell XB12R Firebolt, 2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses

"Boredom is my worst enemy. It's killed a lot of my friends, but it won't get me. When I get bored, I go risk my life somewhere." - Larry Niven, Ringworld
StarWolve is offline   Reply With Quote