ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #2611
ADVGirlCharlotte
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 86
Did you guy's ride today in Morganton area? Was it super muddy?

http://www.globalwomenwhoride.com/?p=4311
ADVGirlCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #2612
maffud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
The ride to Wilson's Creek looked like too much pavement for my WR, so I decided instead to ride my FJR up to Uwharrie Forest this afternoon. I had mapped out a route a few months ago but never got to do the ride due to mechanical issues. I think I found some of the roads in random on-line ride maps. It turned out to be a fantastic selection of roads. I had to cut it a little short, so I still need to do it again when I have more time, but it was a fun afternoon. I saw very little traffic, a lot of other bikes, and some really pretty scenery.
I ended up near Lake Tillery before turning back through Albermarle. Looking at the map, maybe I never even made it into the Forest at all today. Next time...

One thing that is very different here from where I lived in AZ: I can do several hours of great road riding, and never have to touch an interstate at all. I really like that. In Phoenix, I would usually have to slab it for 40 minutes or more before ever getting to any fun roads. Here, the good riding starts practically at the end of my driveway.

2006 WR450F
2006 FJR1300
2011 KLR650
maffud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:33 AM   #2613
parallaxbill
Mid-Carolina ADVR

Oddometer: 245
Dan, herrserj and I ride from the same area as you and like all the secondary roads out towards Uhwarrie and Albemarle through the Oakboro area. If you want some company in the area shoot me a message sometime. We ride most weekends out of Wesley Chapel.
parallaxbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:39 AM   #2614
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by parallaxbill View Post
Dan, herrserj and I ride from the same area as you and like all the secondary roads out towards Uhwarrie and Albemarle through the Oakboro area. If you want some company in the area shoot me a message sometime. We ride most weekends out of Wesley Chapel.

If you're passing through Oakboro, you're in my neck of the woods. Give me a shout when heading through and I'll try to join up.
AppFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:44 AM   #2615
parallaxbill
Mid-Carolina ADVR

Dan, herrserj (son) and I ride from the same area as you and like all the secondary roads out towards Uhwarrie and Albemarle through the Oakboro area. If you want some company in the area shoot me a message sometime. We ride most weekends out of Wesley Chapel.

Another great area with slower really tight twistys is the west side of Lake Wateree in SC. The lake shore speed limits are appropriately low (residential) but if you push it too fast you'll miss some lake side scenery. The connector roads running North/South are faster but still crooked enough for fun. We also ride the Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge, the Sumter National Forest along the Broad River and basically anything we can find within an hour or two from home.

Oops, sorry for the double post, should have been a simple edit. It's early yet.:)
Old 02-24-2014, 06:02 AM   #2616
jer1346
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Ended up just riding up around South Mountain State Park yesterday. Mostly paved road with a few sections of gravel. Heading to OrthoCarolina right now to get my new ACL installed. Looks like pain pills and the Discovery Channel will be my friends for next few weeks. I'll be back!
jer1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:04 AM   #2617
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Oakboro

Quote:
I used to ride out that way all the time, don't miss Hazard Rd. and Buster Rd. out of Oakboro. You guys may know New Town Rd. as well in Union county, imagine that road with no houses or cars on it at 100 mph..... Man that was some good times!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:19 AM   #2618
maffud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Good to know. I will do that! Thanks!

2006 WR450F
2006 FJR1300
2011 KLR650
maffud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #2619
parallaxbill
Mid-Carolina ADVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIKE333 View Post
I used to ride out that way all the time, don't miss Hazard Rd. and Buster Rd. out of Oakboro. You guys may know New Town Rd. as well in Union county, imagine that road with no houses or cars on it at 100 mph..... Man that was some good times!
When I moved to Union County in 1973 New Town was basically uninhabited (just like most of Union Co.) and the speed limit was no less than 55 from where you turn onto it from 75 near Monroe all the way into South Carolina to 521. No lights either, just a couple of stop signs. There were also no deer!

Speaking of New Town Rd. I came across the aftermath of a sport bike crash just on the Monroe side of Indian Trail/Waxhaw Rd yesterday. Seems the green/black Ninja bike rider was riding over his head and lost it. The bike looked totaled for certain but I have since found out the rider got some road rash but walked away. The bike looked like hell.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #2620
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
When I moved to Union County in 1973 New Town was basically uninhabited (just like most of Union Co.) and the speed limit was no less than 55 from where you turn onto it from 75 near Monroe all the way into South Carolina to 521. No lights either, just a couple of stop signs. There were also no deer!

Speaking of New Town Rd. I came across the aftermath of a sport bike crash just on the Monroe side of Indian Trail/Waxhaw Rd yesterday. Seems the green/black Ninja bike rider was riding over his head and lost it. The bike looked totaled for certain but I have since found out the rider got some road rash but walked away. The bike looked like hell.
Yes that's cool that you can more than relate, I wasn't born until 1975 so you know more than I do ......hahahaha!

Yes that Waxhaw Indian trail used to be good too, guess they all used to be good before people infiltrated it.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #2621
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,484
anyone headed to sandblast?
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #2622
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post

Volunteering all four days. Going to be a great weekend.

Good excuse to get outta work too.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:14 AM   #2623
parallaxbill
Mid-Carolina ADVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
If we aren't driving down to the coast to buy some Kayaks on Saturday we are planning on going.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:46 AM   #2624
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,484
think im headed out early friday
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #2625
StarWolve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Anyone up for a ride Sunday?

I have to run down to Myrtle Beach Friday to drop off a bike I sold (finally getting rid of my X650 chopper project) but I was planning on riding Sunday. I'd prefer asphalt - I still don't have the TKC80's for my Uly yet.

Anyone interested?
IBA #41635 - 77 CB750F, 03 FLSTF, 04 XB12R, 06 DRZ400S, 07 XB12X

"Boredom is my worst enemy. It's killed a lot of my friends, but it won't get me. When I get bored, I go risk my life somewhere." - Larry Niven, Ringworld
StarWolve is offline   Reply With Quote