ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #3076
Scott Davis
Which way did they go?

Oddometer: 687
Ye, I have a klr250 for the real dirt stuff. Thats why I am selling the dr.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
Scott Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #3077
Flasher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
I enjoyed the ride today and the company at breakfast.

And of course I saw about a dozen vintage bikes I wanted, but I was most impressed with AppFan's Transalp - especially how he left us in the dust on the Interstate!

Flasher - I looked around before the four of us left but didn't see you - I trust you bugged out before we did like James? If not I apologize that we missed you at the end there...
No problem. Everyone was gone when I left. Headed to Raleigh for an afternoon pig pickin'. Then back to the house by 11:00pm. Boy were the bugs bad last night. Had a great day.

Out bustin' gas

I ride, I fall down!
Flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #3078
ShiftHead
the f is silent.

Oddometer: 259
I did some exploring around my neck of the woods. Found some land to ride back onto almost to the Catawba. Was able to walk from this shot the 100 yds to the river. It was pretty awesome stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
- Bigzoner #052 English Chapter "Keep Brotherhood Till Die!" - Nate & Dot Fan club
- The "Got Screwed" Newb
ShiftHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #3079
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftHead View Post
I did some exploring around my neck of the woods. Found some land to ride back onto almost to the Catawba. Was able to walk from this shot the 100 yds to the river. It was pretty awesome stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Nice looking spot/photo! Looks like a good place to sit and ponder life a bit while enjoying a cigar and a cold drink.

Numa

Check out -- Eighteen Years in the Making

Maps can only lead to conjecture, whereas proof is born in the ride.
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #3080
ShiftHead
the f is silent.

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgeRider View Post
Nice looking spot/photo! Looks like a good place to sit and ponder life a bit while enjoying a cigar and a cold drink.

Numa
You read my mind. Next time, I'm gonna have a few hours to kill, and a thermos of gin/tonic with a nice Drew Estates smoke of some sort. I drink the gin/tonic for the quinine, nothing else...
- Bigzoner #052 English Chapter "Keep Brotherhood Till Die!" - Nate & Dot Fan club
- The "Got Screwed" Newb
ShiftHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #3081
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
Need this nice DR out of my garage!! Somebody come buy this bike. Its a very good trail bike and good on the road as well.

There is a girl at work who is a new rider and really wants a dual sport. Do you have an ad posted for your DR?

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #3082
Scott Davis
Which way did they go?

Oddometer: 687
Yes its on craigslist charlotte, or just have her call me this evening at 704_756_6456

Scott Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #3083
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Help

Quote:
I use GPS HD from MotionX on my iPad as well. It's a great app. What I want to know is, how did you grab those screen shots and save them as image files? I use Microsoft's Snipit to do that on my PC, but don't know how to do the same on my iPad.

Numa
Guys ,
so I have the Motion x GPS on my iPhone, and I used it today in the Malle Sally to Edgemont and up around through an unmarked trail, eventually ending up in Blowing Rock. My phone said no signal whether my cellular data was on or off, which I usually run off in google maps no problem. Are ther just certain areas I'm not going to pick up a GPS signal?
BOIKE
Old 05-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #3084
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIKE333 View Post
Guys ,
so I have the Motion x GPS on my iPhone, and I used it today in the Malle Sally to Edgemont and up around through an unmarked trail, eventually ending up in Blowing Rock. My phone said no signal whether my cellular data was on or off, which I usually run off in google maps no problem. Are ther just certain areas I'm not going to pick up a GPS signal?
BOIKE
Pieeye would be a better source to reply to your question. He's the technical Guru.

I have been using a Delorme GPS on my V-Strom for some time now. I just recently started playing with MotionX on my iPad Air in my truck. I'm not sure if it's working off of cell towers, GPS or a combination of both.

I really like my Delorme GPS. Very nice mapping software comes with it that you load on your PC. I plan routes on my laptop and then download them to my GPS. Just wish my Delorme had a larger screen.

Numa

Old 05-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #3085
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Numa

Quote:
Pieeye would be a better source to reply to your question. He's the technical Guru.

I have been using a Delorme GPS on my V-Strom for some time now. I just recently started playing with MotionX on my iPad Air in my truck. I'm not sure if it's working off of cell towers, GPS or a combination of both.

I really like my Delorme GPS. Very nice mapping software comes with it that you load on your PC. I plan routes on my laptop and then download them to my GPS. Just wish my Delorme had a larger screen.

Numa
So does the Delorme GPS ever go blank or not able to tell where you are?
Old 05-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #3086
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Quote:
I have not had that problem with mine. It has acted-up a couple of times while navigating (the speed and compass continued to work, but the street map did not display correctly), but each time I just powered it off and back on and it picked right up where I was at the time. I do know from playing around with and reading about my Spot Satellite Transmitter that they require access to the sky -- I.e. you could get under heavy tree canopy or in a tunnel and it will lose contact with the satellites. I think BMW's GPS starts picking up telemetry from the bike once it loses satellite cover. (It assumes that you continue heading in the same direction and uses speed/odometer readings to continue moving you along the map.). Pieeye can probably confirm/dispel that belief as well. (I think he has a blade server rack in his top case.)

My Delorme has only let me down once. The re-chargeable battery failed and I couldn't get it to do anything. Once I got home, I replaced the rechargeable batteries with standard AAs and used them until I could order a replacement rechargeable from Delorme.

Augie is also a good source for GPS information.

Numa

Old 05-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #3087
JMforPres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
I have a Garmin GPS. It sometimes loses connection in narrow valleys and heavy tree cover. It usually is for only a very short time.

Jon
77 R100RS
"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JMforPres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #3088
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 705
gps signal loss

Quote:
There are several places around the brown mt. Willson creek area, ie. Maple sally road where you will not get any gps signal on delrome, google map or garmin. It usually fades somewhere near maplegrove ch rd and rt 90 and around old johns river rd and rt 90 junctions.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #3089
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 754
My Zumo 550 I had last year lost it's head on Maple Sally but I got a refurb from them because it was old and lost the power button leaving it less than water proof. My refurb kept it's head on the last run though the mountains including Maple Sally just fine. The only thing I've noticed is if you're in a valley when you turn it on, don't move until it locks on the satellites or it will take forever to get a fix. Other than that it's pretty much been perfect.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #3090
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog View Post
There are several places around the brown mt. Willson creek area, ie. Maple sally road where you will not get any gps signal on delrome, google map or garmin. It usually fades somewhere near maplegrove ch rd and rt 90 and around old johns river rd and rt 90 junctions.
I haven't noticed losing GPS signal on my Delorme on Maple Grove Church Rd, but readily admit that I am not watching it closely while on that stretch of road. Usually checking out the scenery and focused on the road surface so as to not bust my arse or scratch up my beloved V-Strom.

Numa