ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #3361
adverb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I'm down too, anytime. I just found this thread. Been wanting to add riding to my camping trips. There is a lot of good rinding in the wilson creek area. I've mapped out about a third of it so far. Here is my beast.

adverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #3362
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by adverb View Post
Here is my beast.

There is obviously an interesting story behind this thing. Do tell...

Proud to have ridden all 50 US States. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #3363
adverb
Gnarly Adventurer

Charlotte: Ride Planning, 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet and General Hooliganism

She started life as a brand new 2008 KLR. Rode the piss out of her for about a year and did what every KLR owner does. Add more and more crap in hopes of protecting it. Turns out, a few trips to uwharrie makes just about any crashbar irrelevant. Not to mention having to pick up a heavy bike, with even heavier, pointless steel attached, on the side of a rocky hill, sucks. After a couple of years I started craving a little more power, but absolutely love the KLR. Just the way it handles and feels is better than any other dual sport I've tried. The plastics were already trashed, so I decided to just get rid of everything, and I did. She's 350lbs dry now, and there's nothing on it to worry about breaking. The radiator hangs out there a bit, but I haven't had any issues. If I do I'll swap it for the older/smaller style. I've done every engine performance mod there is, short of port/polish and a big bore. It's as fast as I care it to be for now. It burns oil like crazy, so when it's time to do any serious engine repairs I'll do the bore and port/polish. Great bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adverb screwed with this post 06-13-2014 at 07:05 AM Reason: spelling
Old 06-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #3364
adverb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh, btw, I'm down for the wolf creek ride. Any dates set yet? Please add my name to the interested list.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #3365
Dirty Lloyd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIKE333 View Post
i believe we have chatted on the xr650l thread before no? welcome we can get up and ride sometime soon.
BOIKE
Yes we have, we are XR pilots!

I have hopes to get some free time here in a few weeks.

L.

It is not the destination, it is the ride!
Dirty Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #3366
ShiftHead
the f is silent.

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
I'm down too, anytime. I just found this thread. Been wanting to add riding to my camping trips. There is a lot of good rinding in the wilson creek area. I've mapped out about a third of it so far. Here is my beast.

Interesting. Battery? Ever thought of an IMS tank? As light as stock and protects radiator.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
- Bigzoner #052 English Chapter "Keep Brotherhood Till Die!" - Nate & Dot Fan club
- The "Got Screwed" Newb
ShiftHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:38 AM   #3367
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 635
Assault on Wolf Creek Road Ride

We've had so many people express interest that it may be difficult to find a weekend when everyone has a clear schedule. That being said, we will try. Since Boike has agreed to map a route and lead this ride, I'm getting with him to check his July availability before floating days to the group.

Once I know Boike's schedule, I will post a Survey Monkey survey so that everybody can let me know which days work/don't work for them. Hopefully, we can find a day that works for everyone wanting to attend. If not, we'll go with the date that works for the most riders.

For those that intend to camp the night before/after the ride, I will also include a question for voting on the campground. Once that has been decided, each rider will be responsible for making his/her own reservations/arrangements. So far,I intend to include three campgrounds in the Survey Monkey voting as shown below. Do any of you have any other campgrounds close to Hot Springs/Asheville that you want me to include?

> Hot Springs Resort Camping
> French Broad River Camping
> Creek Ridge Camping

If any of you have experience with any of these campgrounds -- or any others suggested -- please feel free to talk them up/down to influence the voting. I don't have any personal experience with any of these locations. Just looked for campgrounds in that area via Google.

Numa

Check out -- Eighteen Years in the Making

Maps can only lead to conjecture, whereas proof is born in the ride.
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:18 AM   #3368
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
I'm down for Wolf Creek as well assuming the dates work out.

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #3369
adverb
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftHead View Post
Interesting. Battery? Ever thought of an IMS tank? As light as stock and protects radiator.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Here's the battery

I considered the big IMS tank, but now I would only consider the older, small one. I'm fully dedicated to making it lighter at this point. The rad hasn't been an issue, and that's the side I almost always put it down on. Which happens frequently (been practicing donuts).

My only concern is deep water crossings. I have a plan for that, and appears I need to have it in place for this trip.

Since we are going to camp, is this going to be a full 2 day (sat-sun) ride? I just cleared about any date as my Father's Day gift. Can't wait!

Old 06-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #3370
adverb
Gnarly Adventurer

Are you guys looking for facilities in a campsite? Is that why the 3 options are of the make reservation type? If everyone is up for a little more backcountry, Wilson creek is littered with very nice, large sites.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #3371
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 836
I may not sleep in the dirt the day before, but will meet up for the ride. If you go somewhere without address, post up some coordinates so I can find ya'll. Trying to work a deal on a bike now, got to figure out how to go and get it.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #3372
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
I may not sleep in the dirt the day before, but will meet up for the ride. If you go somewhere without address, post up some coordinates so I can find ya'll. Trying to work a deal on a bike now, got to figure out how to go and get it.
What is the make/model of the deal you're working?

Numa

Check out -- Eighteen Years in the Making

Maps can only lead to conjecture, whereas proof is born in the ride.
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #3373
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgeRider View Post
We've had so many people express interest that it may be difficult to find a weekend when everyone has a clear schedule. That being said, we will try. Since Boike has agreed to map a route and lead this ride, I'm getting with him to check his July availability before floating days to the group.

Once I know Boike's schedule, I will post a Survey Monkey survey so that everybody can let me know which days work/don't work for them. Hopefully, we can find a day that works for everyone wanting to attend. If not, we'll go with the date that works for the most riders.

For those that intend to camp the night before/after the ride, I will also include a question for voting on the campground. Once that has been decided, each rider will be responsible for making his/her own reservations/arrangements. So far,I intend to include three campgrounds in the Survey Monkey voting as shown below. Do any of you have any other campgrounds close to Hot Springs/Asheville that you want me to include?

> Hot Springs Resort Camping

> French Broad River Camping

> Creek Ridge Camping

If any of you have experience with any of these campgrounds -- or any others suggested -- please feel free to talk them up/down to influence the voting. I don't have any personal experience with any of these locations. Just looked for campgrounds in that area via Google.

Numa

Numa I have two questions. Is this separate from wolf creek? And is this little bikes, big bikes or both flavors?
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #3374
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,580
Quote:
Are you guys looking for facilities in a campsite?

Do you know how hard it is to find a campsite with a strip club close by? I think we are missing out on a business opportunity here...
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #3375
wesdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Are you guys looking for facilities in a campsite? Is that why the 3 options are of the make reservation type? If everyone is up for a little more backcountry, Wilson creek is littered with very nice, large sites.

I vote Wilson Creek!
wesdawg is offline   Reply With Quote