ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #3421
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 655
Te449

Congratulations on the sweet new ride, James! That should be great for some serious off-road riding.

Can't wait to see that bike in action.

Numa

Check out -- Eighteen Years in the Making

Maps can only lead to conjecture, whereas proof is born in the ride.
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #3422
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 655
Hope that you all had a good Father's Day! I was stuck in a cage most all day today driving back from Maryland, but got to spend some time this weekend hanging out with my son and my brother. We even cracked open a 15 year old bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel Tennessee Whisky last evening to enjoy with our steaks. Yum!

Numa

Check out -- Eighteen Years in the Making

Maps can only lead to conjecture, whereas proof is born in the ride.
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #3423
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgeRider View Post
Boike and I finally got a chance to talk today. His work schedule requires that he work almost every Saturday. The only Saturday he has free during July and August is Saturday, July 26th. For those who are still interested and can make that date, we will meet in Hot Springs at 10:30 AM at the Madison County Public Library located on Rt 25/70 in Hot Springs.

Numa
If it's a Saturday it's doable for me even if I've just flown in from somewhere (in the states). The only problem the kid and I are trying to work out now is getting these beasties from point to point when a couple hours of road are involved. No trailer yet, maybe a modded Harbour Freight is in order.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:23 AM   #3424
maffud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
The only Saturday he has free during July and August is Saturday, July 26th. For those who are still interested and can make that date, we will meet in Hot Springs at 10:30 AM at the Madison County Public Library located on Rt 25/70 in Hot Springs.
I'm out. I'll be in NY that weekend.

2006 WR450F
2006 FJR1300
2011 KLR650
maffud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #3425
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
The only Saturday he has free during July and August is Saturday, July 26th. For those who are still interested and can make that date, we will meet in Hot Springs at 10:30 AM at the Madison County Public Library located on Rt 25/70 in Hot Springs.

Numa

Unfortunately, I am out as I will be on vacation through that weekend. I am up for any other long weekend.

Jon
Old 06-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #3426
jer1346
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Luckiest Breakdown Story

Riding in Wilson's Creek area Saturday with a buddy and about 200 miles into the ride his Beemer (R1200GS) conks out leaving us stranded. R1200GS's are supposed to be super reliable, but just goes to show anything mechanical can and will break. I'm guess it was the fuel pump.

My buddy was like what the hell are we going to do now, sounding a little panicked? Luckily we were pretty close to a good friends cabin and luckily they were up there Saturday.

Now how to get the bike to the cabin? We called AAA and were informed he must have "Premium RV Towing" for them to tow a motorcycle. (Did you know that?)

Then like magic a cool dude (off duty Sheriff) pulls up with a trailer and says y'all need some help? Long story short 30 miles after breaking down in the middle of nowhere we are at my buddies cabin having a cold beer and chilling on the deck with good friends. Good to have friends in "high" places.

Sunday morning another good friend went to my house in Charlotte, got my truck and trailer and drove up to Jonas Ridge to pick up my buddy and his broke Beemer. Of course I got in another full day of riding complete with lunch at Canyons Restaurant in Blowing Rock.

Friends, where would we be without them. Hope y'all had a Happy Fathers Day.
jer1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #3427
adverb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
If it's a Saturday it's doable for me even if I've just flown in from somewhere (in the states). The only problem the kid and I are trying to work out now is getting these beasties from point to point when a couple hours of road are involved. No trailer yet, maybe a modded Harbour Freight is in order.

Like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
adverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #3428
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
We had a large number of people express interest in an off-road ride attempting to make it all the way across Wolf Creek Road out west of Hot Springs. Boike agreed to map a route and lead a Saturday off-road ride that would include Wolf Creek Road.

Boike and I finally got a chance to talk today. His work schedule requires that he work almost every Saturday. The only Saturday he has free during July and August is Saturday, July 26th. For those who are still interested and can make that date, we will meet in Hot Springs at 10:30 AM at the Madison County Public Library located on Rt 25/70 in Hot Springs.

The 10:30 AM meet time will give folks riding or trailering in from Charlotte time to get there in the morning. Those who decide to camp the night before -- sounded like folks preferred Wilson Creek primitive camping to sites with facilities -- should have time to get up and break camp in time for the 10:30 AM meet time. (My business travel schedule will not allow me to camp the night before. I will let you campers discuss among yourselves and decide where you want to camp.)

I will touch base again when we get closer to that date to see who is still in for this ride.

Numa

I'm out, my bike is to heavy to be playing with on the likes of this adventure. You guys have fun. If anyone is interested in planning a camping trip and some lite off-road with some fun tarmac let me know.
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #3429
adverb
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
We had a large number of people express interest in an off-road ride attempting to make it all the way across Wolf Creek Road out west of Hot Springs. Boike agreed to map a route and lead a Saturday off-road ride that would include Wolf
I will touch base again when we get closer to that date to see who is still in for this ride.

Numa

I'm in for sure. Things might change, but my plan will be to make a weekend of it. I'll probably cage up Friday night with the bike on the trailer to Wilson creek, and set up a base camp. Saturday morning I'll ride to meet the gang in Hot Springs for the big ride, and return to the Wilson creek base camp for Saturday night. Then spend the day Sunday exploring all around Wilson creek. I may even stay thru Monday.

I have room for another bike on the trailer. Just let me know if anyone is interested in joining me.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #3430
Scott Davis
Which way did they go?

Oddometer: 657
I am in for July attack date!!

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
Scott Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #3431
adverb
Gnarly Adventurer

Is this Thursday the hawthorns pizza meetup? What time do you guys usually get there if so?

Old 06-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #3432
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by adverb View Post
Is this Thursday the hawthorns pizza meetup? What time do you guys usually get there if so?

Yes, 6pm
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #3433
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by adverb View Post
Like this?

'zactly. What do you think of it?
Old 06-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #3434
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,383
WE MEET-UP ON THE THIRD THURSDAY OF EACH MONTH AT HAWTHORNE'S (1701 E. 7th ST). AROUND 6 PM FOR MOST FOLKS BUT SHOW UP WHEN YOU CAN! THE 2014 SCHEDULE IS:

January 16th * February 20th * March 20th * April 17th

May 15th * June 19th * July 17th * August 21st

September 18th * October 16th * November 20th * December 18th

Bump again to keep up with the rapid page changes!
Proud to have ridden all 50 US States. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #3435
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Going to play hookie maybe Wednesday and try to get my new ride dirty. Completely new to dirt in this area, was thinking of just surface streets to Carolina Adventure World and play for a while. It's on the map and easy to find...

Was wondering if anyone knew about anything closer where a newb could find some single track or just off road stuff to get my feet wet. Any ideas?