ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #3991
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by parallaxbill View Post
Watch out for the deer!

Nice video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgeRider View Post
Nice video. Good that you had a clean run up Rt. 80; i.e. without coming up behind a cage towing a camper.

Numa

Thanks Fellas, we had a nice ride. Chris got to test ride the new EBR and Larry didn't fall over any ledges so I would say we had a good ride all in all. It was kind on neat to see the deer, we slowed and let it get off the road.
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:07 PM   #3992
RCmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
Thanks Fellas, we had a nice ride. Chris got to test ride the new EBR and Larry didn't fall over any ledges so I would say we had a good ride all in all. It was kind on neat to see the deer, we slowed and let it get off the road.
what did you think Chris?
RCmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #3993
StarWolve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCmoto View Post
what did you think Chris?

Regarding the EBR 1190 SX: It's definitely very different than my XB's. It took some getting used to the RPM range on this bike - it really needs to be revved a lot higher... 4,000 or more is where the bike starts to come alive. It seems to corner much better than my firebolt, just falling into the turns instead of pushing it through them.

Since it was a test ride, I wasn't able to really push the bike too hard, but there's obviously a lot of power there. The seat ergonomics are very aggressive - initially it feels like you're being forced up against the airbox cover (what looks like the gas tank is actually the air box) due to the angle of the seat. But after locking your legs against the frame, this is actually quite comfortable.

The headlight/display section is almost non-visible from the rider's perspective. It makes it feel like there's nothing in front of you when you're riding.

Overall, if I was in the market for a new bike, I would seriously consider this bike. There's 21 different traction control settings, but I doubt one of them is "mud with knobbies", so this would really be an asphalt eater, not really a mud monster! And at $17k, I don't think I'd take it off-road ever!

One other bit of info - I asked the dealer about the AX models. (AX will be the ADV version of the 1190, similar to how the Ulysses is the ADV version of the XB chassis.) He mentioned that since Hero has invested heavily in EBR, the initial plan of RX, SX, then AX has somewhat changed. It looks like they're going to put more effort into a Hero/EBR jointly designed 650cc ranged street fighter bike first, then work on the AX. I wasn't thrilled to hear this, but my Uly is still relatively low mileage so I can wait a few years for a suitable replacement.

IBA #41635 - 77 CB750F, 03 FLSTF, 04 XB12R, 06 DRZ400S, 07 XB12X

"Boredom is my worst enemy. It's killed a lot of my friends, but it won't get me. When I get bored, I go risk my life somewhere." - Larry Niven, Ringworld
StarWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #3994
Koolranch
NCADVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWolve View Post
Regarding the EBR 1190 SX: It's definitely very different than my XB's. It took some getting used to the RPM range on this bike - it really needs to be revved a lot higher... 4,000 or more is where the bike starts to come alive. It seems to corner much better than my firebolt, just falling into the turns instead of pushing it through them.

Since it was a test ride, I wasn't able to really push the bike too hard, but there's obviously a lot of power there. The seat ergonomics are very aggressive - initially it feels like you're being forced up against the airbox cover (what looks like the gas tank is actually the air box) due to the angle of the seat. But after locking your legs against the frame, this is actually quite comfortable.

The headlight/display section is almost non-visible from the rider's perspective. It makes it feel like there's nothing in front of you when you're riding.

Overall, if I was in the market for a new bike, I would seriously consider this bike. There's 21 different traction control settings, but I doubt one of them is "mud with knobbies", so this would really be an asphalt eater, not really a mud monster! And at $17k, I don't think I'd take it off-road ever!

One other bit of info - I asked the dealer about the AX models. (AX will be the ADV version of the 1190, similar to how the Ulysses is the ADV version of the XB chassis.) He mentioned that since Hero has invested heavily in EBR, the initial plan of RX, SX, then AX has somewhat changed. It looks like they're going to put more effort into a Hero/EBR jointly designed 650cc ranged street fighter bike first, then work on the AX. I wasn't thrilled to hear this, but my Uly is still relatively low mileage so I can wait a few years for a suitable replacement.

Now that's a proper review.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #3995
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
What an awesome looking bike!
Old 07-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #3996
StarWolve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroRoo View Post
What an awesome looking bike!

It is very impressive looking. I just don't think I can justify the cost (right now...) when I have a perfectly functional corner carver. But I won't pass up a test ride!

My next bike will most likely be a WR250R, or something similar to get muddy on. And I'd like to build a rigid chopper for around town riding, so if the right deal comes my way on a pan, shovel, or 91-03 Sportster, I would consider that. But for now I'll be content fixing up my old CB.
IBA #41635 - 77 CB750F, 03 FLSTF, 04 XB12R, 06 DRZ400S, 07 XB12X

"Boredom is my worst enemy. It's killed a lot of my friends, but it won't get me. When I get bored, I go risk my life somewhere." - Larry Niven, Ringworld
StarWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #3997
E.R.Minman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Mt Rogers

Bull Gear is planning a weekend trip to Mt Rogers this weekend. Anyone been up that way or know what kind of riding there is up that way?
Old 07-30-2014, 05:07 AM   #3998
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.R.Minman View Post
Bull Gear is planning a weekend trip to Mt Rogers this weekend. Anyone been up that way or know what kind of riding there is up that way?
Everything from single track to 4x4 trails to gravel fs roads to some of the best twisty pavement, pick your poison.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:32 AM   #3999
Koolranch
NCADVR

Did I miss the Wolf Creek pictures? Who ended up going?? Let's see um.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #4000
livermush
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
About Mt. Rodgers

+ 1 on what banjo said.
Christened my new V Strom up there yesterday. I'm not giving up banjos secret roads, but ride Comers Rock area and turn on Any gravel road, u will not be disappointed. White Top mountain, I rode konnarock road to 58 without traffic. 133 south through Backbone Rock to Shady Valley, The Snake back to MT. City
Start early. Hope the weather is good for u. A gps is nice to have but it is best to follow your nose, i got that from the Banjo.
livermush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #4001
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 633
Caribou Luggage Website

Roger from Caribou Luggage saw photos of my Caribou-equipped KLR on AdvRider and contacted me about using some of them on the Caribou website.
A small photo of my bike can be seen on the "What Fits My Bike\Kawasaki KLR650 2008 and Newer" page and two small photos of it appear on the
KLR Pelican Storm 35L page as shown below.

Numa

Check out -- Eighteen Years in the Making

Maps can only lead to conjecture, whereas proof is born in the ride.
BluRidgeRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #4002
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 633
Carolina Adventure Cycles

I was very sorry to hear over the weekend that Carolina Adventure Cycles is closing its doors at the end of this month (tomorrow). Joey read about it on their Facebook post and he told me about it over lunch on Sunday. I stopped by to see Jeff and Dean on Tuesday and they confirmed it.

Dean is planning to retire, maintain a residence in the area and do some serious traveling with his wife. Jeff and his wife are headed for the Pacific Northwest. I'm happy for both of them, but sorry to lose such a great resource in the area. They did great work, had reasonable prices, genuinely love motorcycles and they're also very nice people.

Best of luck to Jeff and Dean in their future endeavors! Hopefully, we'll cross paths out on the trails.

Now I have to search for a new mechanic that doesn't use the Papyrus font on his/her business card. (Where are you Evan?)

Numa

Check out -- Eighteen Years in the Making

Maps can only lead to conjecture, whereas proof is born in the ride.
BluRidgeRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #4003
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Roger from Caribou Luggage saw photos of my Caribou-equipped KLR on AdvRider and contacted me about using some of them on the Caribou website.
A small photo of my bike can be seen on the "What Fits My Bike\Kawasaki KLR650 2008 and Newer" page and two small photos of it appear on the
KLR Pelican Storm 35L page as shown below.

Numa
Well, that KLR is a beauty. Now it's famous.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #4004
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
I was very sorry to hear over the weekend that Carolina Adventure Cycles is closing its doors at the end of this month (tomorrow). Joey read about it on their Facebook post and he told me about it over lunch on Sunday.
Numa
I saw that too but haven't been at my computer long enough to post up here. Sounds like they are both heading where they want to go, good for them.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #4005
E.R.Minman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
I saw that too but haven't been at my computer long enough to post up here. Sounds like they are both heading where they want to go, good for them.
Sorry to hear this! Dean is my neighbor, I will have to go pay a visit and see if I can get an invite on some moto traveling!!!!!