ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #1111
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIKE333 View Post
So who is in for Sunday? I am thinking a noon meeting time, NC/SC border area..........
Last night, in your absence, we decided that you would meet us at Noon on Sunday at the gas station just on the Lake Wylie side of Rt. 49 (the smaller of the two gas stations).

Some of us will meet at Noon and NitroRoo may meet us there at 1. I figure we hit the Palisades between Noon and 1 and then back over towards the PowerPlant after 1...

Roo, let us know for sure if you can make it or not. Hint - the answer is yes.

Augie's going to put together a street bike ride in December as well.
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:16 AM   #1112
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
NEXT MEET-UP IS THURSDAY, DECEMBER 20th, 2012 AT HAWTHORNE'S ON 7th ST. AROUND 6 PM FOR MOST FOLKS BUT SHOW UP WHEN YOU CAN!
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

Old 11-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #1113
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
Roo, let us know for sure if you can make it or not. Hint - the answer is yes.
I'm in!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #1114
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Ride

Uummmmm pieeye havent gotten your usual confirmation........see the rest of you there......katoom you gonna make it to one of these.........mongle.....and when are we doing that south Charlotte ride?
BOIKE333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #1115
pieeye
Go Far...Get Lost

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Uummmmm pieeye havent gotten your usual confirmation........see the rest of you there......katoom you gonna make it to one of these.........mongle.....and when are we doing that south Charlotte ride?
Sorry, it's a no go for me this week. My sons got a lacrosse game at 1pm Sunday. You guys have fun and if I don't talk to ya have a great Thanksgiving everyone!
pieeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #1116
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

I was using Google Maps to zoom in on where we're going riding tomorrow, and found three airplanes in flight. Take a look HERE. There's actually four if you zoom out a little.

So just to recap the plan for tomorrow: a few of us are meeting at the gas station at Noon - we'll ride the Palisades a little and then head back to the gas station at 1 to hook up with Roo before heading deeper into SC to ride the Boike trails. The gas station is the smaller of the two on your right as soon as you cross from NC into SC on Rt. 49 at Lake Wylie.

Technically, the Palisades could ALSO be called the Boike trails but we've got to maintain some order here! AND, I want some trails named after me so I need to get cracking.

And Jon - looking at Google Maps again, I found THIS just a few miles from your house...

JoeyBones screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 05:37 AM Reason: Added Gas Station info just in case
Old 11-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #1117
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 528
Enjoyed meeting all of you Thursday night at Hawthornes. Hope you have a great ride tomorrow! Looking forward to Augie's upcoming street ride.

Numa
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #1118
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 705
sunday dualsport ride

Sorry I am not going to be able to make tomorrow. Yau'll be careful an have fun.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #1119
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgeRider View Post
Enjoyed meeting all of you Thursday night at Hawthornes. Hope you have a great ride tomorrow! Looking forward to Augie's upcoming street ride.

Numa
Nice meeting you too. Looking forward to riding with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog View Post
Sorry I am not going to be able to make tomorrow. Yau'll be careful an have fun.
Sorry you can't make it. Next time - no excuses!

Old 11-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #1120
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
today

Guys-
Awesome freakin ride today. For those who missed.... good warm up trails, moved on to a fast paced grassy single track, some mud, some more dirt and mud trails, an awesome train bridge that we need pics of (that roo did a wheelie over missing rr ties .......we were freakin at least 50 feet high) more trails followed by an epic hill climb (Jeff made two attempts the hard way.....kudos) then...... I will let roo tell the finale,
thanks guys, good times.......
BOIKE333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #1121
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Quote:
Guys-Awesome freakin ride today. .... good warm up trails, moved on to a fast paced grassy single track, some mud, some more dirt and mud trails, an awesome train bridge that we need pics of (that roo did a wheelie over missing rr ties .......then...... I will let roo tell the finale.......
Agreed! It was a great riding day for sure. I did miss the finale so I look forward to hearing about that. As for that railroad bridge, here's a pic I took after crossing over. This is Jon pausing to look at the river through the big hole where a tie is missing... We do need a better pic - one that shows the river...in this one you really can't even tell it's a bridge!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #1122
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Ahhh yes, the grand finale... First of all, I had a blast today. Matt, thanks for leading and showing us some great trails. This was really my first time back in the dirt after about a year hiatus. Picked up the little 350R last weekend and while it's an older bike, I had a lot of fun on it today!

So, after all our exploring and bridge crossing shenanigans, Jeff, Matt and I split off to go check out the Palisades trails. That's right where I live so I was really excited to find something so close to home. We had ridden down a grassy trail with some drainage ditches running across it. We turned around to head back towards the road. Matt was leading and Jeff was bringing up the rear, and we were running at a pretty good clip. We came up on one of the drainage ditches - but it was a really shallow one that you could easily take at speed (just a small dip with some rocks in it). Oh yeah... and that big tree limb hidden in the grass. I'm not really sure how fast I was going, but I was in 3rd or 4th gear when I suddenly saw the limb in the grass. And not at a convenient 90 angle to the trail, no, more like 45 (you know, the perfect angle to kick your tires sideways.

So here I am flying along at I'm going to say 35ish mph, I leaned back to try to hop it but the bike hopped and turned at the same time. I came down at an angle not congruent with the trail direction, completely compressed my 28 year old suspension, and efficiently launched myself over the bars a good 30 feet down the trail. I came down hard on my left hip/butt cheek and kind of rolled onto my side and hit my head and slid for a bit.

Jeff told me to stay down while to see how I was (smart man), and I wiggled my fingers and toes. Honestly nothing was really hurting besides my hip and my butt, which REALLY hurt. So I pulled my helmet off and laid there for a bit while the guys stood my poor bike up and assessed the damage. Broke the rear turn signals (that I installed 2 days ago), tweaked the bars and mirrors, but other than that the tough old Honda looked rideable. They helped me up and I could barely walk - any weight on my left leg sent excruciating pain into my butt and hip. In fact I starting seeing spots and feeling like I was going to black out so I laid back down. After talking bikes for a little longer and I was feeling better they got me back on my feet and on the bike. Turned the key - nothing. Hmm... pulled the sidecover and the positive power lead to the battery had pulled loose in the crash. So we got that in (THANK you Jeff for bringing some tools!) We had power, and I was kicking it (thank God my right leg is ok) Of course it didn't want to start... so they push started me and I followed the trail back out... oh, but one more drainage ditch to cross - this one a good 4 or 5 feet deep, with big rocks in the bottom. Of course I stalled it right at the bottom - and couldn't get it started again. Poor Matt and Jeff had to push my bike back up out of there and push start it again, while I had to figure out how to climb the hill with a bum leg. Guys, I seriously owe you one! Despite literally having my butt kicked on this ride - I had a blast and can't wait to do it again. I seriously can barely walk - so it may be a while. Pretty sure I just have some really deep tissue bruising, should be back on the horse soon enough. Meanwhile I'll get ANOTHER set of turn signals - need to find some indestructible ones..

Thanks again for everything - looking forward to the next one!

Now for a few pics that I took today:

The old '84 XL350R

Joe makes the climb on his Death Wings

Matt and Jon

This mud hole ALMOST swallowed Jeff's KTM, but he got it out under his own power

Ahh, and the railroad... I wish I had taken a pic from down below

Jon wasn't too pleased with the plan

So what do a group of ADV guys do when they come across an old abandoned railroad bridge? THIS:

Where Jon is stopped were 2 sections of missing railroad ties. I believe it was 1 missing and then two missing - I'm not sure - I didn't stop to look There were some small planks on either side you could ride over (assuming some 4 wheeler guys put them there). Seeing the water down below through a holy bridge can get the blood pumping.

Matt cruised through

Last pic I took - Jeff said he thought it'd be easier to go up this than down it (we had gone down it earlier). So, we went back to watch him give it two really good attempts - but couldn't quite get all the way up. Saving a challenge for another ride. Way to go Jeff

Anyway, I'm laying on the couch with the laptop - think I might be working from this position tomorrow rather than going in. Thanks again for a great ride today - I'll be out there with you guys again someday soon (hopefully!)

-Reuben

NitroRoo screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 06:51 PM
NitroRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #1123
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,123
Looks familiar.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #1124
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroRoo View Post
......They helped me up and I could barely walk - any weight on my left leg sent excruciating pain into my butt and hip. In fact I starting seeing spots and feeling like I was going to black out so I laid back down......Anyway, I'm laying on the couch with the laptop - think I might be working from this position tomorrow rather than going in.
Jon and I leave y'all alone for 15 minutes and look what happens! I certainly hope it's just the deep bruise you suspect it is... Get well so you can live to ride another day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
Looks familiar.
So come with us next time!

Old 11-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #1125
harryhammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Wicked

[/QUOTE] \\\\\\\\\\\OOOOOOOOOO get off the tracks here comes the TRAIN'''''''''''''
harryhammer is offline   Reply With Quote