Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 03:36 AM   #256
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder_MMHS View Post
I finally received my pair of Prodigy gloves a couple weeks ago. I'm a new rider with only three months riding experience and I prefer to over-invest in hand protection due to my occupation (I sit in front of a computer all day long). For reference, I rotate through two other pairs of gloves (A* GP Plus, and one of their cold weather/waterproof Drystar gloves) in addition to this.

The overall fit of the glove is terrific - I have a small hand and the XS glove fit perfectly. The double velcro closures were all high-quality and had terrific adjustment. The gauntlet overlaps my leather jacket sleeves smoothly. This is the best fitting glove I have tried on (which numbers at about a dozen due to my small hand sizing).

The feel, however, is a mixed bag. The glove liner (keprotec?) comes off as initially harsh/rough and didn't feel good until I got a few hundred km of riding on the gloves. It now feels comfortable.

On the Prodigy, the finger stitching is on the interior. When I initially ordered the gloves in February, I knew nothing of the value of exterior stitching. After now having my two A* gloves with this feature, I understand much more clearly. Feeling the seams on the fingertips, while not a show-stopper, is an added minor detraction from the overall feel.

The worst part was the hard knuckle protector base which dug into the top of my hands while clenching a fist form. It seems there is some foam padding underneath the floating knuckle but insufficient coverage to reach to the far end of the base. Maybe this has something to do with scaling the glove to an XS hand? Regardless, this proved to be very uncomfortable and initially bordered on unbearable for any ride longer than 45 minutes. I improvised by cutting a small strip of 5mm light foam packing sheet and inserting them underneath the knuckle protector. It's a bit "ghetto" but did the job and I can now wear the gloves for indefinite periods of riding.

The build quality of the glove is good - the fibres on some of the stitching are fraying slightly but I'm not too worried about it at the moment. The other safety features (scaphoid protectors, gauntlet/wrist protector, etc.) are well-integrated and appropriately beefy. The extra layer on the inner palms are holding up.

As for the "missing" features - the missing ventilation perforations are indeed unfortunate; I don't wear this glove during hotter days because of this. I also always though a pinky bridge would interfere with control feel. After riding with both pairs of A* GP Plus gloves (which do have the finger bridge), I realized it was pretty inconsequential and a nice safety feature. Would have been nice to see it here.

Oddly enough, many of the issues are addressed in the Formula gloves - they have external finger stitching and a finger bridge. They also have TPU knuckle protectors on the fingers and fabric to cover the wrist velcro adjuster. In hindsight and after seeing the "all black" photos posted a while back, I would have taken those over the Prodigy, especially at the same price. Like an earlier poster, I initially chose the Prodigy because it had a more subdued look (colour, mainly) that I prefer under the advisement of one of John's postings and the photos available on the Velocity Gear website.

Despite all the criticisms I may have, I do like the glove a lot and still think it's a great value, especially with the Kangaroo leather. I would switch to this when riding in the cooler spring/summer days and evenings.

Good review.
Although slightly less protection, the Exhibition Pro address the exterior stitching and perforation issues you have. Just a thought. I bought both, and am unsure which ones I'll keep. I agree on the stitching bunching up in the fingers on the Prodigy. Annoying, but the full velcro strap makes up for it. I've never had a pair of gloves that secured so well on my hand thanks to my (apparent) small wrists. I was hoping the Exhibition Pro would be a full on hot weather glove, but it's not. The perforations don't do anything, and the vent on the knuckle protector doesn't either. Maybe, the shorter gauntlet makes a tiny bit of difference but not much. These are gonna be hot over 80 or so.

Not a critique. These are awesome gloves. 2 pairs are overkill since they basically fill the same need. Just need to decide which to keep. I wore my Racer High Ends the other day for a couple hundred miles just for fun, and they felt like a toy in comparison. Actual crash test it's hard to tell how well they'd hold up compared to the Velocity Gear gloves, but they are full race gloves so...
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #257
velocitygear OP
safety =~SPEED

Oddometer: 636
the sad truth

Thank You for the post. I'll just touch on this again, since I believe this is what separates us from the rest....

It's impossible to "judge" a products true abilities by simply wearing it. The minor issues encountered here are simply due to manufacturing and limited quantities. If I had a 50th of the resources available to the mainstreamers, there would be no limits...

I post these numbers, because you won't find any manufacturer, anywhere that will outperform these numbers. Hell, you won't get any testing data from any of them. The reason your "other" gloves feel inadequate in comparison, is simply because they are. Aside from abrasion resistance, no other gloves mentioned here can touch our numbers posted....NONE OF THEM! NOT ONE!

I have the testing documentation and proof to show what my glove chassis is capable of. I'm still having manufacturing difficulty, the reason for all of the little nonsense, like missed bridges, etc.... I have a box of blems to boot!!!

My single biggest hurdle is Manufacturing, enough so that I've wanted to quit this "hobby" many times over the years. Someone else will get a clue and copy my design sooner or later and my inability to get consistent competent manufacturing is once again at the forefront! It drives me FU@#*&$ crazy at times....

4.9. Tear Strength- passing = 40N

---VelocityGear gloves- 165.75N

4.10. Seam Strength- passing 15N/mm

---VelocityGear gloves- 21.4n/mm

4.11. Cut Resistance- 2.2 on the cutting index

---VelocityGear gloves- 21.2

4.12. Abrasion Resistance- 2.5seconds

---VelocityGear gloves- 7.96s

All numbers are "mean" adjusted.

As much as I want to be upset over the nonsense, this email from one of my Manufacturers sums it up:

"We are in a messed up country, if you live here then you know. We have electricity shortage, we have natural gas shortage, we have severe petrol shortage these days. We have on and off shortage of wheat, sugar. We have shitty medical facilities. Our educational system sucks. Moreover we have bombs every day. YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT A LYCRA MESH :P HAHAHA man c’mon :P "

In response to a lycra swap that was incorrect...

Everyone says go to China but I'm not so sure that's a good choice either. I can't set-up a factory, I need the facilities that already exist with said materials and processes. I like to be able to pick and choose my components from a wide variety of existing products..

I'm too stubborn or stupid to quit, so I'll find a way. It's just part of the journey I guess......

Motorcycle Gloves
www.highvelocitygear.com

velocitygear screwed with this post 06-07-2011 at 11:08 AM
velocitygear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #258
Tonic
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocitygear View Post
Thank You for the post, I appreciate your interest. Let's see how many we can drum up.

--Pass it around--

PLEASE NOTE: payment to delivery time-frame of 4-12 weeks. Not very specific but I don't want to upset any ADVRiders. Customs won't be an issue this time around, just meeting the numbers and getting them built.

I'll be using the "preferred" sewing house on this order, fit and detailing will only improve this time around.

Unfortunately, I'll need to triple our last group buy for this glove model to make the minimum production requirement. I had hoped for more glove sales after the last group buy, or at least some requests for another group buy..
There's been a few but not as many as I had hoped.

Reviews were very good across the board. A few sizing issues but that issue will disappear with the preferred sewing house.

$149.00 for a glove that is unmatched in terms of physical CE testing requirements seems like a steal to me..

What say you; ADVRiders?
Put me down for one medium size. After hemming and hawing extensively over gloves on the internet I'm attracted to all the features from the Formula (Knox Protectors, Kevlar stitching, kangaroo leather).
As far as customizations go, would asking for the vented finger sliders as seen on the Exhibition Pro be too much to ask? It seems like full race-style gauntlets need all the ventilation they can get so that you don't have to leave them at home on those 80F+ days, as another poster mentioned.
Just curious, have you even considered using perforated leather in greater amounts or would this impact the structural integrity significantly?

Also how many do you have so far and how many more to go for a group buy?
Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:39 AM   #259
gamerfou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
any news, velocitygear?

I just noticed a new hole in the palm of my left glove (leather torn by the stiches this time)... I really need a new pair of gloves.
gamerfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #260
Adrian V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Yes Please

I would like a pair of the Exhibition Pro's. My hand measures a whisker under 10" but my fingers are long. Should I be looking at an XL or a L. I wear 3xl in Axos due to my long fingers, but a XXL (Axo) would probably fit my palm better.

Cheers,

Adrian
Adrian V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #261
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,397
I just got sent a link to this thread after asking about a VG Formula group buy on one of the other threads. Woohoo!
$149.00 for Formulas? I'm in, let me figure out what size I need...
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #262
gamerfou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
as I previously said, if what we discussed in PM can't be done, I'm in for a pair of formulas
gamerfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #263
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
New GP would be awesome, I'd be in.
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #264
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,397
Do we get decals with the gloves? A friend and I are racing AHRMA next season and I'd sure stick some on the racebikes if I had them...
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox

OConnor screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 08:33 PM
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #265
Velocity_Girl

Oddometer: n/a
Ex pro and Formula Group buys

Hi guys,

So I'm trying to get these both in with our next order. Anyone interested in participating follow these and post an "I'M IN" for me so so I have an approximate number. The end result will ultimately determine if I can even offer the group buys.

Ex Pro:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706038

Formula:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706113

Thanks Everyone!!!

Erin

Old 03-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #266
velocitygear OP
safety =~SPEED

Formula- xl

Hello,

I have 10 pairs in size XL of the Formula glove in ALL BLACK;

BLOWOUT Pricing of $99.00

Here's the link; available for immediate shipment.

www.highvelocitygear.com/ADVRider-formula.html

Unfortunately, that is all that's left in the Formula series until later this year.

If you have a question, please feel free: support@highvelocitygear.com

Motorcycle Gloves
www.highvelocitygear.com
Old 03-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #267
velocitygear OP
safety =~SPEED

while they last

9 pairs left. Hurry before they're gone, we won't see this price again anytime soon...

Motorcycle Gloves
www.highvelocitygear.com
Old 04-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #268
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
I wear a size L in the Exhibition Pros, and my pair of Formulas in XL just arrived. They are actually tighter than my size L, so if any of you size M folks are thinking they may be too big, they will probably be fine. I'm going to do my best to stretch these to fit me, as they are an incredibly well made and protective pair of gloves, and a steal at this price. If these XLs fit me better, I think I would buy some more, as they are that good.

Hey Velocity Gear - any chance that any of the other XLs that you still have are a bit larger?
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #269
Prior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
I'm interested in a pair of your gloves, you post above seems to allude that you only have XLs left in the Formula, but the website allows me to add an L to the cart... What's the deal on availability? What do you have able to ship now?

Thanks!
Prior
Prior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #270
velocitygear OP
safety =~SPEED

gloves

Hello and Thank You for the inquiry. I have about 3Xl's left and 1-2 size Large Formula gloves left as well...

Motorcycle Gloves
www.highvelocitygear.com