Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #16
Exile OP
The Mundane and The Magic

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
You can make some pretty good pannier mounts by using hockey pucks
I had heard talk of this but could never grasp the concept. Could you elaborate, pictures would be great!

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #17
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile
I had heard talk of this but could never grasp the concept. Could you elaborate, pictures would be great!
There is an old thread somewhere - but go to the touratech site and you'll see how they use there pucks
Old 12-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #18
Exile OP

Not sure if this was what your are talking about but it is a clever way of doing it.

I have implemented almost the same concept as the video only instead of "hockey pucks" at the top I have welded nuts to the rack and the top fastens with two screws. I will take some pictures of this the next time I get a chance.

I have made my racks strong enough to survive a crash (in dirt anyway) and have proven their durability already on the trails, and the ammo cans are strong enough as well. So if they stay on and hold the bike from smashing me then all the better.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire
Old 12-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #19
Exile OP

I was looking through the DR650 thread and had a question. What are the potential downsides to "overloading" the rear shock on a 10,000 mile trip? When I say overloaded I mean, I weigh 180lbs are there will likely be another 60-80lbs of gear. The gear weight would be smaller but my ammo cans are 40lbs. I really don't have the money for a new rear shock but if I did have to get one it would likely be this.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire
Old 12-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #20
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,878
I like, but think all black would be trick!
In other words, paint the ammo boxes black and then apply stickers

Enjoy the trip.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #21
Exile OP

Thanks.

I thought about all black but figured I would add a lighter color and make myself slightly more visible.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire
Old 12-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #22
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,089
That is a nice project youve got going,I rode some of the TAT and a whole bunch of dirt roads and trails going from Chico(nor-cal) to Idaho this summer,fun 9 day trip! Several times we headed down the deep silt whooped out dirt roads and trails to be found out that way at the end of summer,every time we did this we were tankslapped to a stop as our bikes were loaded for bear for a 9 day camping trip,pelicans on rear etc. Also some of the big G-outs and jumps were obviously going to break off luggage mounts at some point from too much weight swinging around out there. A DR with a big load on the back is nearly or totally unridable in deep silt or big rock sections,Ive ridden dirt bikes since I was a small child and I could tell I was headed for a major trip over the bars when deep silt and large rocks were encountered. We had full knobbies on but the combo of heavy DR with a lot of stuff on the back was beyond out of control on real gnarly desert trails. The TAT in Nevada has sections that are a real good work out on a loaded EXC 450 KTM.
Its nice to have a lot of carrying capacity and take a lot of stuff but it CAN defeat the purpose of riding cross country on big dual purpose bikes.
I was wishing I had tried my DR out totally fully loaded on gnarly sections before I drug it out there.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #23
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
I was looking through the DR650 thread and had a question. What are the potential downsides to "overloading" the rear shock on a 10,000 mile trip? When I say overloaded I mean, I weigh 180lbs are there will likely be another 60-80lbs of gear. The gear weight would be smaller but my ammo cans are 40lbs. I really don't have the money for a new rear shock but if I did have to get one it would likely be this.
My stock shock was sacked with out a load,Eibach springs and race tech valving transform it into a dirtable bike and it holds up loads very well. Trying a trip off road with a stock shock and a 120lb load + rider could be kind of a bitch
Old 12-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #24
Exile OP

Thanks for the input Foot dragger, I appreciate it.

The Utah/Nevada sections are the ones I'm worried about. After our trail ride I am a little less worried since we were able to run them hard through sand bed creeks with deathwings on mine and come out the other side breathing heavy but intact. I am going to try and reduce my weight as much as possible but will ultimately keep the ammo cans for this trip.

I will also probably get an Ohlins shock from a '96 KTM 250-300 and stick it in there, since that's the cheapest option I've found and I will undoubtably need it.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire
Old 12-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #25
Big-O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Nice ste up. I was going to say check out the setup that the TRAKS can from sw-motec uses for securing the boxes. I did pretty much what you did to mount them onto my Happy Trails SU rack, work fine and I also used the hand held screw on setup. Basically, tighten the top bolts from the inside. Take a look also at Ceaperthandirt.com, they have gizmos to lock the boxes too. -Greg
Big-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #26
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Thanks for the input Foot dragger, I appreciate it.

The Utah/Nevada sections are the ones I'm worried about. After our trail ride I am a little less worried since we were able to run them hard through sand bed creeks with deathwings on mine and come out the other side breathing heavy but intact. I am going to try and reduce my weight as much as possible but will ultimately keep the ammo cans for this trip.

I will also probably get an Ohlins shock from a '96 KTM 250-300 and stick it in there, since that's the cheapest option I've found and I will undoubtably need it.
I didnt know a 96 KTM shock would fit on a DR,I had a 96 KTM 300 with that ohlins shock and it worked like magic. How hard is it to fit on a DR?
I had the SW-MOTECH quick release luggage mounts on my DR for the Idaho trip and one quick release died on the first bumpy dirt road,I ended up with Rok-Straps holding each Pelican box on for the next 9 days of thrashing,worked fine and I have new respect for Rok- Straps.
Next year were planning on a two week mostly off road jaunt to Colorado and back to Chico. Baja for two weeks this jan if all goes well.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #27
Exile OP

Apparently the shock bolts right in place with the modification of a couple washers according to Mezo.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire
Old 12-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #28
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Gotta say those racks and ammo boxes look like they would survive being dropped out of an airplane without a parachute! Any idea how much it all weighs?

Speaking of the TAT, me and my buddy (him on his DRz400) are also doing the eastern portion this spring, TN thru OK late April/early May. When are you guys starting out?
DirtyDR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #29
Exile OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR650
Gotta say those racks and ammo boxes look like they would survive being dropped out of an airplane without a parachute! Any idea how much it all weighs?

Speaking of the TAT, me and my buddy (him on his DRz400) are also doing the eastern portion this spring, TN thru OK late April/early May. When are you guys starting out?
I'm sure they probably could survive that drop, and that's what I'm counting on. The ammo cans are 40lbs. (20lbs a piece),the racks maybe another 5lbs. if that.

We are heading out in the beginning of July, probabaly around the 5th. We have classes into May plus its still cold then, well colder than I like, and rainy.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire
Old 12-11-2009, 07:51 AM   #30
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Our thinking is April/May might still be a little cold and rainy, but we're willing to brave the weather in order to avoid the ticks and chiggers and spiders/webs that absolutely infest the woods later on in the summer. I know, I live in southern Missouri, and after mid-May they get real bad around here... probably worse down in Arkansas. And I like mud.

I admire your approach to your build, both the economics and overkill engineering, another do-it-yourselfer. I take the same attitude on my own preperations for the TAT on my DR650. I'm a big guy at 260 lbs, tho, so weight savings is a huge factor with me. I'm using surplus aluminum Alice-pack frames with milsurp canvas packs for saddlebags and panniers. Maybe not as strong, but soft bags are lighter and they give a little to absorb impacts and did I mention they're lighter?

I thought I saw something about someone else using the Alice-pack frames, anyone have a link to that? I need some ideas on how to connect the tubing at the T's and elbows... PVC or aluminum pipe connectors?
DirtyDR650 is offline   Reply With Quote