User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #31
Exile OP
The Mundane and The Magic

Oddometer: 197
New Shock

Taking advice from the ebay ninja Mezo, I have purchased the rear workings of a '95 KTM 300 including an Ohlins shock.

After being cleaned, stripped down and parted out, I should be able to get a free shock out of the deal after selling everything else off. Let me know if anyone wants anything off it.

I will post a write up on the shock replacement as well as the LED conversion that I am doing as soon as finals are over and I am home.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #32
Exile OP

Well I got some time to work on the bike. The LED's I ordered from superbrightleds.com for the LED conversion came in (I went with the hp red) and I got those installed then made myself a little instrument panel. Here are pictures.

My dad got a new toolbox for christmas, so I took his old, broken one and did this.

Before:

After:

Final:

I am going to try and get the windscreen made tomorrow then I'll post that. I am waiting till this spring to put in the new shock.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire
Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #33
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 874
a much lighter alternate to the ammo cans are Pelican 1550 cases.
I dive in N Nevada and have ridden all over this west on bikes ranging from GSA1150 to KX500 You need to keep the weight down as much as you can for much of this area. Careful of the boxes in the soft sand. Going down can damage your leg. DAHIK

Enjoy your trip. We are doing something like it from OK to Brookings Or and then down Lost Coast in June
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #34
r00t4rd3d
ADV Rider

Oddometer: 895
I really like to ammo can setup. And if you crash hard , another trip to the Army Surplus store and you got some new ones on the cheap.

r00t4rd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #35
Exile OP

Quote:
a much lighter alternate to the ammo cans are Pelican 1550 cases.
I was thinking about pelican cases for side boxes but one case was expensive enough.

Quote:
I really like to ammo can setup. And if you crash hard , another trip to the Army Surplus store and you got some new ones on the cheap.
They have been crashed tested and survived...granted it was in dirt but numerous times. But yea, cheap replacement is always a good thing.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire
Old 01-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #36
Exile OP

Well I got around to making my windscreen finally and I am extremely satisfied with the results. It has been tested up 90 mph and held fine. The top of the screen is more or less level with the top of the mirrors which allows the wind to hit me about mid visor, or eye level. Keep in mind I am 5′10″ tall. In my opinion this is the perfect level as it isn’t to high as to make the wind buffet my helmet but high enough to keep the wind off of my chest. I used a 1/4″ piece of Plexiglas cut very carefully with a cordless hand-held reciprocating saw. I then heated the entire piece up in the oven to allow for heat retention while bending and bent it vertically down the center and added a horizontal lip towards the top. I also added a piece of extra gas line to the bottom that I had laying around. I will be putting a piece along the top as well.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire
Old 01-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #37
r00t4rd3d
ADV Rider

Oddometer: 895
You do that with a heat gun and plexiglass ?

03 Honda XR250R
r00t4rd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #38
TheCowboy
back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 605
You have done an awesome job on your DR. I have only two comments. Having ridden some 15,000+ miles on my DR I started out with two big metal panniers and a black IMS tank. The metal panniers lasted about a month... after riding a lot of dirt they just did not make any sense, they got in the way and most of all they encouraged you too bring a lot more on your trip then you really needed... I eventually went to soft "Dirt Bags" and they worked out a LOT better. I also eventually dumped the black IMS tank for a "natural IMS" so I could determine fuel level.

Hey that's just my experience... you will learn from your own - have a great TAT ride!!! and by the way - you picked the right bike for the job...

TheCowboy
TheCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:30 AM   #39
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Nice Job

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #40
Exile OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy2
You have done an awesome job on your DR. I have only two comments. Having ridden some 15,000+ miles on my DR I started out with two big metal panniers and a black IMS tank. The metal panniers lasted about a month... after riding a lot of dirt they just did not make any sense, they got in the way and most of all they encouraged you too bring a lot more on your trip then you really needed... I eventually went to soft "Dirt Bags" and they worked out a LOT better. I also eventually dumped the black IMS tank for a "natural IMS" so I could determine fuel level.

Hey that's just my experience... you will learn from your own - have a great TAT ride!!! and by the way - you picked the right bike for the job...

TheCowboy
Thanks for the input. I may in time do away with them but I have them now so I'll see how I handle them. They were the cheaper alternative which is one reason I went with them. I also thought about the natural IMS but since I fill up based on my trip and reset it at each fill up I was used to not knowing my fuel level. I will also be adding a little 1 gal. auxiliary tank to the inside of the left ammo can. Just in case. I'm sure when this trip is over I will have a new perspective on the whole bike and end up rebuilding it much to the satisfaction of Mezo.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire
Old 01-28-2010, 06:01 AM   #41
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
I was going to ask, howd you get on flicking off them parts on fleabay? did you get a free shockie out the deal? i bet its still sitting on the garage floor yeah

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #42
Exile OP

So far I have only sold the Brembos - $50. Haven't relisted anything else yet. If anyone wants anything pm me. The swing arm its off a '95 KTM 300, dimensions are as follows: 26in. long, 3 7/8 inside-to-inside front pin, 7 7/8 inside-to-inside rear pin. Also have the shock linkage and the chain guard.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire
Old 01-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #43
Ron Seida
Adventman

Oddometer: 1,246
Great job on the windshield . I need to do something to mine, i'm getting blasted on the bike while on the highway. It's okay when i'm alone on the road, but as soon as i get behind someone, it feels like i need to hang on for dear life! you make it sound easy, i'll have to try it.
D. Irwin...
Ron Seida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #44
Exile OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Seida
Great job on the windshield . I need to do something to mine, i'm getting blasted on the bike while on the highway. It's okay when i'm alone on the road, but as soon as i get behind someone, it feels like i need to hang on for dear life! you make it sound easy, i'll have to try it.
What about your KTM shroud? Doesn't that double as a windscreen?

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire
Old 02-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #45
rrittner
SometimesY

Oddometer: 243
Driving lights from Walmart

How did they work out for you? I saw those and thought the same thing of using them on my XRL.
rrittner is offline   Reply With Quote