Old 11-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #16
alexcorral
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Well ... if it makes you feel better:

The extra HP doesn't come on tap until somewhere around 6K RPM

Part of the extra HP is due to requirement to burn premium gas
(Note with the F800GS you can get the dealer to detune it so you can burn regular gas and loose a couple of HP)

The F658 is about 20lbs lighter

The F658 is ~$2K less expensive

The 658 has tubeless tires ... something I found out that I really like during a meditation session on a back country road 100 miles from anywhere with a tire plugger in my hand ....

Some folks think the 658 has less of a problem with "snatchy throttle".

How am I do'n so far????
Not good

He's looking for you to talk him into getting the F800 regardless of seat height, not to talk him into settling for the F650...
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #17
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimIowa
I sometimes wonder if some miss the point on bikes being too tall??
I'm 5'8 with a 30" inseam and am looking to get back on a bike after 23 yrs of not owning a bike. Admittedly the Geezer Factor may be kicking in as I'll soon be 60(not as limber as I once was).
While I have no problem once I'm on a taller bike, I find my heel catching on the seat getting on. I especially find this a problem with seats that rake up at the back. Thought I wanted a Ducati a few months ago, but the seat design is impossible. So I sometimes think it's the shape of the seat not the height that's the problem?
Jim,
You can try mounting the bike by standing on the peg while it is on the center or side stand. It eliminates having to clear the seat from the ground. I do it with my Tiger, which was designed with a high passenger seat, and I have a 33" inseam.

George
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #18
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Meet the challenge of the inseam

I spent a week on my GS8 doing a lot of dirt roads, some easy some hard, a couple months back. My 30/31-inch inseam (depending on how personal the measurer gets ) had no problem with the bike. It's all about balance--at low speeds, your feet should be on the PEGS. You only need to put them down when you stop. Sure, if you're on a sidehill you can get in trouble with putting your foot down on the low side. That could happen to you on anything bigger than a TU250.

I've got the standard Sargent seat, which is about the same height as the normal stock seat, but doesn't seem quite as narrow as the BMW seat, so my legs don't reach quite as far. Still not a problem, though.

Before you buy a bike you don't want (though the info on the F650GS is spot-on and you might consider it), think about putting thicker soles on your boots and getting a custom lower seat if you need it. Costs less than any of the lowering options and doesn't kill your ground clearance. But first, learn to keep your feet (and your weight) on the pegs, where they will do you some good with low-speed handling. Dab if you have to, but no dangling feet, it's a prelude to disaster.

Now stop this silly whining and go buy the 800. Here's to you
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #19
alexcorral
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Before you buy a bike you don't want ... stop this silly whining and go buy the 800. Here's to you
+1 Get the 800... You'll absolutely love it !
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #20
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcorral
Not good

He's looking for you to talk him into getting the F800 regardless of seat height, not to talk him into settling for the F650...
DOH!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #21
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R
I have a 30" inseam. While many short riders feel they can handle a tall bike I do not. I have almost dropped my GS1200 (standard seat) many times. If you ride behind a rider on a bike that's too tall it becomes obvious they have little control at low speeds.

I'm at my limit with the GS1200, the 800 is even taller. The low seat on a works for me but I think I may be sacrificing some comfort due to less padding. If I could lower it 2" I'd be good.
Been there done that. I use to have a '05 R12GS and yes it was a bit tall for me even with the low seat at the lowest setting. Guess what, I ride a 8GS now and have no problems. I'm 30" inseam and I flat one foot when at a light. I'm on the ball of my feet with both feet down. You know, the heal is up but not by much. I think your problem is really related with the boxer engine. What I'm referring to is the torque caused by the engine when the 12GS starts it's fall. The same problem has occur to me on the 8GS, but because the bike is so light I'm able to pull the bike out of the turned-wheel nose dive without any problems.

BTW, I've also found the 21" front wheel on the 8GS makes the bike a lot more stable than the 19" on the 12GS. Again, I still think your problem is with the boxer engine and it's geometry. Give the 8GS a test ride with the low seat and find out how it works for you. I bought the 8GS, with the low seat, without even test riding it. Once I'm on, I know it was a match made in heaven.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #22
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
BTW, I ride the 8GS with one click above the lowest rear suspension setting. I can do two but it gets a bit stiff because I'm only 150 lbs.

I also hate the "getting shafted" feeling.

I've only dropped the 8GS once, and that was on the trail in really really soft pumice. Damn that pumice. The stuff is almost slicker than snot.

cheelleebutt screwed with this post 11-06-2009 at 02:59 PM
cheelleebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #23
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 767
I am short also, 5'7" and when you use the step on the peg method to get on the bike its alot easier. Also riding it isnt' hard at all as long as your comfortable shifting your weight to one side to put a foot down. I can touch on both sides, but when i stop i use one side only.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #24
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
I spent a week on my GS8 doing a lot of dirt roads, some easy some hard, a couple months back. My 30/31-inch inseam had no problem with the bike. It's all about balance--at low speeds, your feet should be on the PEGS. You only need to put them down when you stop. Sure, if you're on a sidehill you can get in trouble with putting your foot down on the low side. That could happen to you on anything bigger than a TU250.

learn to keep your feet (and your weight) on the pegs, where they will do you some good with low-speed handling. Dab if you have to, but no dangling feet, it's a prelude to disaster.
So true. I see these videos with the guys walking their bikes through sections, WRONG! You're more likely to drop the bike that way then ride through or over the obstacle. If you are going to be riding this bike in that type of terrain then you either have the skill or you are getting in over your head. I don't ride single track with an F8GS because of the size. And my definition of single track is 18 inches wide on the side of a mountain not some cow trail that is flat. You will not have any fun riding in the Rocky Mountains on a 450 lbs pig! That is what a 450cc is for.

You need to define the type of riding you will be doing. If its only dirt road or something similar than the bike will be a blast. If you plan on riding it like a true dirt bike, which some people do, then IMO there are better bikes for that. I'm leaning towards a Husaberg FE 390 to rip up Colorado single track. Here is a good example why I don't ride the F800 on Colorado single track http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520510 That is extreme but once you head down a Colorado trail you will inevitably encounter rocks that will not play nice with the F8GS.
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:19 AM   #25
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,533
Go and do an "advanced riding course", gain some much needed confidence and learn how to ride a taller bike.

I can't understand the need to be flat-footed on any bike, and its a lack of confidence that ruins the options for a lot of people.

Spend the money on a course and buy the bike you want, don't compromise, you can do something about it!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:04 AM   #26
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem
Go and do an "advanced riding course", gain some much needed confidence and learn how to ride a taller bike.

I can't understand the need to be flat-footed on any bike, and its a lack of confidence that ruins the options for a lot of people.

Spend the money on a course and buy the bike you want, don't compromise, you can do something about it!
Experience and confidance has little to do with it. I put 20,000 miles on the GS this year alone and I've been riding since the 60's. Fact is you'r going to have to reach the ground sometime and there won't be anything there.

How is the 800 low seat for comfort?
Old 11-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #27
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Well ... if it makes you feel better:

The extra HP doesn't come on tap until somewhere around 6K RPM

Part of the extra HP is due to requirement to burn premium gas
(Note with the F800GS you can get the dealer to detune it so you can burn regular gas and loose a couple of HP)

The F658 is about 20lbs lighter

The F658 is ~$2K less expensive

The 658 has tubeless tires ... something I found out that I really like during a meditation session on a back country road 100 miles from anywhere with a tire plugger in my hand ....

Good points, thanks.

Why exactly is the 650 HP less than the 800?
Old 11-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #28
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,735
>"I can't understand the need to be flat-footed on any bike, and its a lack of confidence that ruins the options for a lot of people."

Depends on where you're riding. Easy stuff, balls of the feet are fine.

For an older rider getting hung up the bad stuff with a tall heavy bike is bad karma. A big bike has too much momentum headed for terra firma by the time your foot reaches the ground. Thud. This website is full of photos of just that.

With a lightweight bike or if your'e young & agile you can get away with tall.

-- Another old fart hoping that Yamaha will bring the Tenere to the USA.
TwilightZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #29
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R
Experience and confidance has little to do with it. I put 20,000 miles on the GS this year alone and I've been riding since the 60's. Fact is you'r going to have to reach the ground sometime and there won't be anything there.

How is the 800 low seat for comfort?
Yes eventually you will need to dab your foot. However I bet most of the time that people dab is because they are going to slow and have no confidence. Sand is a perfect example. Unless you have off road experience going to a school is a great recommendation for getting use to riding a GS. Its a whole different animal.

Low seat comfort is no different than the regular seat. Neither seat provides hours of comfort.
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #30
wanderlost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
F800 vs F650/8

Unless you are doing hard core off road the 650 has several advantages.
The tubeless tires are nice if you get a flat far from home
The smaller tire diameter is better for road riding. 21's are great off road but less good on road
You can change the front sprocket for a little more pull if you want it, but at the sacrifice of more vibes at high speed
You can use regular gas instead of premium
Less money

Paul:
wanderlost is offline   Reply With Quote