ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2009, 12:26 AM   #151
Matizzle
gumption junction

Oddometer: 128
To the coast?

I was thinking about a ride to the coast going down to Yamhill then over the coastal range to Pacific City for lunch at Pelican Brewery. Some dirt and backroads, but mostly pavement I think. I was thinking to go tomorrow (Monday) if someone is interested in a last minute ride.
Matizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:51 AM   #152
Squirrels
SoloSquirrel

Oddometer: 380
Hells yeah I'd be down. I can visit my friends in PC! What time you wanna start?

PS: WB, weather might be driest tomorrow, with the worst on Thursday.

"Real life is a vague memory we are day forgetin, mile eatin, heart breakin, scenery seein, bug eatin drifters fo sho now." - vermin
Squirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #153
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,740
If you guys are still going and I haven't already missed you, could someone text me with your meeting place/time?
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #154
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
This spring/summer

Would anyone be interested in a camp off the bike ride this spring/summer? Not a clue where it would be but if it's early enough in the year perhaps the coast range or the Mt hood area when the snow subsides? I'm up for any and all suggestions.
I'm kind of jonesing to camp off the bike after watching these British dudes ride across Europe on DR350's. Just thought I would get some though started-Have a great New Years!
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #155
matloik OP
kludge

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon
Would anyone be interested in a camp off the bike ride this spring/summer? Not a clue where it would be but if it's early enough in the year perhaps the coast range or the Mt hood area when the snow subsides? I'm up for any and all suggestions.
I'm kind of jonesing to camp off the bike after watching these British dudes ride across Europe on DR350's. Just thought I would get some though started-Have a great New Years!
Yes.

Also, anyone up for a ride tomorrow (Wed)? I am also able to do a ride on Sunday. Thurs & Fri look like good ski days so I'm gonna take that.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #156
Matizzle
gumption junction

Going Coastal

Yesterday Squirrels and I rode to the coast from PDX to Yamhill and over the mountains to Pacific City. I was kinda cold and seeing as we chose the high road, snow and ice was aplenty. It ended up taking 4 hours to get to Pacific City because we had to crawl over about 15 miles of ice.

A little gnarly. I wouldn't have attempted it alone.

But it was beautiful up there.

We both managed to stay upright. The Bimmer keeps impressing me.

Squirrels got to put his new Husky to the test.

Of course by the time we hit Pacific City the sun was setting.

It must have been a gorgeous day on the coast.

Had to skip the much anticipated lunch at Pelican and decided to just turn around and flog it back to town. 18 was clear and fast back to McMinnville. Where I needed to stop and thaw out.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #157
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

NICE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matizzle
Yesterday Squirrels and I rode to the coast from PDX to Yamhill and over the mountains to Pacific City. I was kinda cold and seeing as we chose the high road, snow and ice was aplenty. It ended up taking 4 hours to get to Pacific City because we had to crawl over about 15 miles of ice.

A little gnarly. I wouldn't have attempted it alone.

But it was beautiful up there.

We both managed to stay upright. The Bimmer keeps impressing me.

Squirrels got to put his new Husky to the test.

Of course by the time we hit Pacific City the sun was setting.

It must have been a gorgeous day on the coast.

Had to skip the much anticipated lunch at Pelican and decided to just turn around and flog it back to town. 18 was clear and fast back to McMinnville. Where I needed to stop and thaw out.
2004 KTM 200 EXC
Old 12-29-2009, 05:59 PM   #158
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,670
Quote:
check the 'squatch ryde in my sig line, that was a 3 day that could've been a 2 day / 1 night ride if you really wanted.
i highly suggest gifford pinchot for d/s camping. lots to see. i might even be able to participate this year!
clapped_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:36 AM   #159
Squirrels
SoloSquirrel

My Side of the Story

I first found the frost on the roads as we were climbing up the hills out of Yamhill. My front tire slid out in a shady corner. I staighened up and it caught again. I was now calibrated and ready for lack of traction!

Shiny ice over the pass. I'm still amazed no one went bang on the ground. 10 mph average pace.

Tried the new bike on the beach. Very smooth and floats through the deep stuff. Note the dune couch. I stayed with friends in PC, so didn't get to enjoy the uneventful ride out with Matizzle.

I rode home Tuesday up 101 to Astoria, then Hwy 30 toward home. I say toward home because I was stopped by the Snowpocalipse when I reached St. Helens. I had been chugging through slush and plowed roads not too far out of Astoria. It was just a I was entering St. Helens that I began sliding sideways off the road and I decided I could go no further.

The bike is safely stowed at my Dad's co-worker's house and I get a ride home in his truck. Keep family close but keep guys with trucks closer. (my dad's truck bed is covered with a tenaciously attached canopy, therefore no ride for bikey)

"Real life is a vague memory we are day forgetin, mile eatin, heart breakin, scenery seein, bug eatin drifters fo sho now." - vermin
Old 12-30-2009, 01:47 AM   #160
Squirrels
SoloSquirrel

Quote:
Yes.

There are a few ways this could go. N, S, E, W. Big dual sport distance trip or small woods bike get lost trip.

I have ideas and experience camping east in the gorge and deserts. I'm not sure I'm tooled for gnarly woods camping. Forest roads and tame trails I'd be down to do.

Bike camping is the best. I lived off the back of my Yamaha Vision for two weeks and 4000 miles once. 'Twas nice.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:44 AM   #161
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,644
Quote:
This has Oyster Camp II written all over it. We had it at Trask River last Spring and it was a blast.

I also got the Griptwister Oly Pen tour... I think I have to do that this year if I can.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #162
matloik OP
kludge

Oddometer: 1,228
I'd vote for someplace relatively close to Portland for a bike campout. Why ride hundreds of miles away when there's so much right here in our backyard? I wouldn't mind exploring and camping out just east of Mt Hood.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #163
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6
check the 'squatch ryde in my sig line, that was a 3 day that could've been a 2 day / 1 night ride if you really wanted.
i highly suggest gifford pinchot for d/s camping. lots to see. i might even be able to participate this year!
This looks like it was an awesome ride although not sure using my 620 would be a good idea. I'm up for anything. I thought maybe getting some ideas going would be good and at the least, dreaming of some sweet riding!
2004 KTM 200 EXC
Old 12-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #164
Matizzle
gumption junction

Hey Squirrels,
I was sitting in the pub watching the snow dumping down and wondering if you left PC early enough. Glad you got a lift home.

Nice ride.

M

Old 12-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #165
sock_eye
Now Giiit!!!!

Oddometer: 47
You FFs are crazy, riding in the snow and ice like that. Can't wait for when that weather gets warm and, I'll be seeing you out there again. And I'm definitely down for a multi-day ride/camping trip.

sock_eye screwed with this post 12-30-2009 at 02:37 PM
sock_eye is offline   Reply With Quote