ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #3196
SuperD!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Tube, Small Slime Air Compressor, tools to change flat, safety wire, duct tape, epoxy puddy, water, clean gloves, tool roll, flashlight, First Aid, siphon hose, kitchen sink, spare gas, tow strap...i've manged to use all this on local day rides...okay, maybe not the Kitchen Sink.
I just ride with Scott. That way I have a sink to wash my cast iron skillets in.
SuperD! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #3197
jjdun7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
The Tunnel (continued)

So here I go once again, in search of another tunnel. Today I'm heading out into the Salmon Berry area just east of the huge metropolis of Timber Oregon. Hopefully I will find three tunnels today. One of which some of you have already been to.
It's a beautiful day out here in the Northwest.

and of course to get the whole story, and here about the surprises along the way, follow the link below.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....3&postcount=14

"Get out and explore"
jjdun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #3198
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Great story and pictures JJ!
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #3199
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,561
Nice JJ. I'll have to get back there, I want ride that tressel! Can you get a bike to that first campground you saw from the tressel, that might make a fun ADV Campout!

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #3200
jjdun7
Gnarly Adventurer

Scott_PDX

hi Scott. Well I didn't really pay much attention to how you get down to that little beach. But someone had been camping down there before. Gee I guess that means I'm going to have to go back,right?

"Get out and explore"
Old 04-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #3201
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 10,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by fango View Post
Hi all,

I picked up a 1998 KLX300 about a month ago, and it's time to get it dirty! ...but not submerged I hope...

I rode an NX250 back in college and used to ride with a guy on a klx300. He danced circles around me in the dirt! Now I have my own mean green machine.

Anyone want to ride? I'm game for a good half day of riding or so, meet at 9 back at 2, or meet at 1 back at 6. Should be enough to get up to Scappoose and tool around for a while.

Also, I could probably find answers on the forum but I'm lazy and y'all are a helpful bunch, what should I carry with me on the trail? I notice most of you have little baggies on your bikes--what's in there?

Looking forward to meeting some of you on the trail!
David
For your review:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998
Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #3202
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remarksman View Post
Well folks, look what you all missed up the Trask:

…and that is after I pulled the front end out of the deep part so that it would stand up.

I guess I finally got to find out how to do the "remove spark plug and spit out water" and "drain exhaust" procedure I've read about. Wish I could have just left it at "reading about it."

So, next time you see an innocent-looking puddle…
I believe I got my xr650r stuck in the same spot, Matt had to help me pull it out. Glad to see it happens to others!
"If you're too busy to hunt and fish, you're too busy"
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Jungle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #3203
mikulad13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I'm interested in attending the next (and hopefully many more) off-pavement rides. I've never ridden in a group before, and was referred here by a kind soul that delivered some gas to me as I was pushing my bike down the road!

Thanks for the fantastic pictures.
mikulad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #3204
jjdun7
Gnarly Adventurer

mikulad13

Hi mikulad13,
Welcome, you've to come to the right place. I've been on here for a couple years and I've checked out other forums but this definitely seems to be THE place. There's a bunch of great people out here. Just follow along for a while and you'll start to recognize who the main players are. There is usually always somebody going out riding somewhere. Fill out your profile so others can learn a little bit about you. you know what kind of bike. What area are you in.
Once again welcome, come join in the fun.

"Get out and explore"
Old 04-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #3205
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikulad13 View Post
I'm interested in attending the next (and hopefully many more) off-pavement rides. I've never ridden in a group before, and was referred here by a kind soul that delivered some gas to me as I was pushing my bike down the road!

Roadside rescue sounds like something Mr. Fishypants would do. Did your gas fairy look like this guy?

Come join us at Hells Canyon in June: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843668 There are a number of people from the PDX-Hood River, etc. area that attend and it's lots of fun. Check out some of the photos from last year:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800731

Welcome to ADV it's a good place to meet some great people.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #3206
SuperD!
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikulad13 View Post

That was me! Glad you found us!
Though I wouldn't be so sure about that kind soul part...

When you see a sweet DRZ being pushed down the road, you always stop to check it out!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #3207
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD! View Post
That was me! Glad you found us!
Though I wouldn't be so sure about that kind soul part...

When you see a sweet DRZ being pushed down the road, you always stop to check it out!
NICE!!

But, you referred someone to this asylum?
What did he ever do to you?

Or are you just vindictively jealous that his bike started right up after putting gas in it?

BTW, did a new battery do it?
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #3208
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
I'm back!

Three weeks ago I traded in my FZ1 for a brand new 2013 CRF250L and some cash back in my pocket.

Here is a copy of the ride report I posted over on TT.

--------

So after having the bike for two weeks I finally got the bike off-road over the Easter weekend.

I decided since it's still completely stock with no hand guards, skid plate, or anything else to protect it from a fall I would take it easy.

On the way to the forest I stopped at a spot outside of Estacada where I always take a picture of a new bike when headed into the mountains.

From there I headed up some fire roads and the stock tires did better than I expected. Well up to a point. All tires have there limits. Keep reading to find out the limits on these tires.

I forgot to take pictures of the mud hole I came across but did remember to take a few pictures of the bike when I found a place to take a break afterwards.

After that I did a little more exploring and at about 3,000 feet I came across this.

After turning around I decided I would take a short cut back to paved roads that I had been on before. I was starting to feel more confident on the bike and found myself doing about 45 mph down the gravel/dirt road when I came across, you got it…..more snow.

I followed the tire tracks since I knew I was only about 1/2 mile from pavement and figured I would make it to the main road.

Well I should have known better because as I was going over some hard pack snow in the tire tracks the next thing I knew was laying in the snow and reaching for the kill switch.

I forgot to take a picture of the bike taking a nap in the snow but you can see in this picture where we landed.

As you can see I made it back to pavement but by then it was to late.

Here's another shot showing how far I made it before crash testing the bike in snow.

Trying to pick up a bike in the snow is a lot harder than I thought but I finally got it upright. The problem was the snow was deep enough that I could not turn it around to go back down the road. I tried backing up but the bike kept getting hung up in the snow.

After taking off my jacket (I was working up a good sweat by now) I was able to get the bike over to the other tire track and roll back down the incline to a clear spot where I could turn the bike around.

After resting and catching my breath I ended up riding back down the hill and took the forest roads back the way I came.

All in all I had a good time but was sore the next day since I have not had a workout like that in a long time.

Here is a GPS log and elevation log of the ride.

Sorry I did not have my GoPro along so you all could have watched me fall in the snow…..maybe next time.

Oh, the bike came out undamaged. There was some snow in a few spots that quickly melted off and I did have to adjust my right mirror slightly on the way home but that was it. Good thing I dumped it in the snow and not at 45 mph in dirt and gravel.

The stock gearing worked fine for the area I was riding (forest roads and jeep trails). Even in the mud hole the bike had no issues in 2nd gear.

Skid plate, hand guards, and a few other things will be purchased soon. But I could not wait any longer to see how the bike would do off-road.

Oh, I filled the tank before heading into the mountains and then again at the same gas station on the way back. I put 58 miles on it for a total cost of $3.54 US. Not bad for a day of fun!

Jon…
Old 04-06-2013, 03:46 AM   #3209
Mr. Fisherman
FTW! FIT! FIN! FYYFF

Oddometer: 10,421
Little bikes are fun. Looking forward to more reports...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #3210
SuperD!
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
NICE!!

But, you referred someone to this asylum?
What did he ever do to you?

Or are you just vindictively jealous that his bike started right up after putting gas in it?

BTW, did a new battery do it?
I figure anybody crazy enough to push a bike down Columbia BLVD will fit right in.
And yes I am that vindictive, you sonofa...
The old battery took a charge and it fires right up...now I know I have a problem.