ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2004, 10:15 AM   #1
lockcrash OP
Celtic Tiger

Oddometer: 68
Ride suggestions for WV/V border

Hi,
my Strom and I are going to be on the WV/V border for the day on Saturday, in the Coyington, Elkins, Harrisonburg area. I'm looking for suggestions of good roads to ride, both easy dirt and paved. I'm using the excuse of a friend recently moved there as an excuse to ride there for a day.
Thanks Matthew

V-Strom '02
lockcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548
311 and 18 and any of the FS roads off of 311 are good.

look at this thread.....

Or this
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 11:34 AM   #3
Gventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Het Steverino - how long does that loop around Bluefield take? My friends and I are scrapping our Western NC trip due to flooding and heading to Va/WVa - that loop looks fun frm the pictures.
Gventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 11:41 AM   #4
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gventure
Het Steverino - how long does that loop around Bluefield take? My friends and I are scrapping our Western NC trip due to flooding and heading to Va/WVa - that loop looks fun frm the pictures.
My suggestion is to ride 58 east from Damascus to Volney and then ride 16 all the way to Welch, WVa and then turn around and go back. It is that good.

We did the whole loop in a long day. I bet it can be done in about 6 hours if you did not have to wait for girly Weestroms.....
Old 09-09-2004, 01:45 PM   #5
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,191
ya can't go wrong with 58 and 16. fun roads. 91 north out of Damascus, VA is another good one. another one is 63 north out of Castlewood.

58 is not to be missed
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 05:38 PM   #6
Number 6
Minty-Fresh Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakingRTrider
ya can't go wrong with 58 and 16. fun roads. 91 north out of Damascus, VA is another good one. another one is 63 north out of Castlewood.

58 is not to be missed
Listen to those boys -- all are excellent!

I had a pretty good time shooting off 33 to Peake Mountain Rd (612) to FR 72. That's a nice trail that opens up to 3 paths, the left taking you to Dictum Ridge, which I didn't really enjoy on the GS (translation: it was a bitch!).

I've kept on 72 which dead-ends on 85 after a LOT of fun. Take a right and you can stay on great trails to 240. Or, take the first left and this takes you on a fun ride crossing small streams and REALLY narrow trails. Seemed nobody was on those in years, which was an added blast. This is Rough Run Road, and ends at Sweedlin Valley. This is a great, paved, twisty relief after some fun trail negotiating.

Turn left and you head to Brandywine and back to 33, which gives some nice twisties back to VA. If you want to get dirty, forget getting on 33 and keep going to Sugar Grove (past the Naval Station) and hit that little store on the left. Get a Gatorade, then jump up the trails there and go to Reddish Knob. You can come down onto VA via mountain, pick up 257 and be back onto 33 just west of Harrisonburg. Or, turn right coming off Rough Run Road onto Sweedlin Valley, which shoots you to 55.

That's good for a big part of the day!

--Ron

Wassup with the voices in my head speaking pig-latin?
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 05:45 PM   #7
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

I rode/drug my F650 Dakar all the way down Dictum RIdge to 33. If you did that on a GS you should enter the Dakar.....

The trail across the creeks is Long Run ATV trail. I have mountianbiked that many times and ridden my 650 on it.

Nest time you are up that way, go west on 33 and take the left going up the mountain that takes you down to Switzer damn....climb all the way to the top and take a right at the "T" intersection to head back to Reddish Knob or take a left and head down Union Springs Rd. Taking a left is at your own risk. DAMHIK

Plenty of good riding in that area. Enjoy
Old 09-09-2004, 05:55 PM   #8
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsquiggy
Bitch

I was wondering when you were gonna find this one.....
Old 09-09-2004, 06:34 PM   #9
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsquiggy
It's all good. The reason I bought a 650 is when I get my ass handed to me by You and Jabba, and everyone else (Poondiggy),,,,I can blame the bike
What's our excuse when you hand our asses to us?
Old 09-09-2004, 07:25 PM   #10
lockcrash OP
Celtic Tiger

Thanks for the great advice guys, if anyone wants to go for a ride starting in Elkin or somewhere on Sunday morning let me know,
Matthew

V-Strom '02
Old 09-09-2004, 08:03 PM   #11
SkylineKeith
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockcrash
Thanks for the great advice guys, if anyone wants to go for a ride starting in Elkin or somewhere on Sunday morning let me know,
Matthew
Post a time and place to meet, I need to break-in my DRZ400S and that sounds like fun to me...on second thought, I will probably show up on my KTM Nine Fiddy if you guys ride like Steverino or Poondiddy.
SkylineKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:24 AM   #12
Number 6
Minty-Fresh Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
I rode/drug my F650 Dakar all the way down Dictum RIdge to 33. If you did that on a GS you should enter the Dakar.....

The trail across the creeks is Long Run ATV trail. I have mountianbiked that many times and ridden my 650 on it.
Oh I did it, or rather "Slid it". Man, I doubt I'd walk that path, much less take a bike on it ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
Nest time you are up that way, go west on 33 and take the left going up the mountain that takes you down to Switzer damn....climb all the way to the top and take a right at the "T" intersection to head back to Reddish Knob or take a left and head down Union Springs Rd. Taking a left is at your own risk. DAMHIK

Plenty of good riding in that area. Enjoy
Just looked up that Switzer Dam area. Geez, I better load up on the Cheerios before that. It ALL looks like a great butt buster! Thanks for the tip!

Wassup with the voices in my head speaking pig-latin?
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:38 AM   #13
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

The Switzer Dam area aint bad.....unless you take a left at the "T"....even then it is passable and a good time.

No problem. Good stuff in that area for sure
Old 09-10-2004, 05:58 AM   #14
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,191
on 33, the fire road just into WVA on the right will lead you to some fun GS type roads to the north.
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:54 AM   #15
lockcrash OP
Celtic Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcskylinekeith
Post a time and place to meet, I need to break-in my DRZ400S and that sounds like fun to me...on second thought, I will probably show up on my KTM Nine Fiddy if you guys ride like Steverino or Poondiddy.
Great don't think I'm up to helping you break in a DRZ but whatever. As for somewhere to meet I never been to the place before so its hard for me to say but how about where US-250 crosses the WV/V border, thats Pocahontas County in WV and Highland County in V. I can meet you and who ever else shows at the border crossing at 9 am. And then hopefully one of you locals will be kind enough to lead a nice ride on some good GS style roads.

Let me know if this suits,
thanks Matthew

V-Strom '02