Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #16
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Cruising along I heard a flapping,and knew instantly what happened. You see this is becoming a recurring theme with me. I used to have some Rok Straps that just worked, but I haven't been able to find the right size so I've been resorting to lesser strapping systems and this is the inevitable result:

Noob!

Well, fortunately it happened in a nice spot and it forced me to stop and smell the flowers. This is something the new little camera can do that my SLR doesn't. Here's the first Macro shot I've taken in years. I keep meaning to buy a good Macro lens for the SLR but never get around to it.

Nothing much was in bloom like it was last time I was here, but it's still just stunning out here. If you've never been to Joshua Tree, I highly recommend it

In this picture I didn't notice a problem with the bike, that would bite me in the ass later...

I felt a major sense of acomplishment getting to the other side of Pinkham Canyon without crashing.
The first time we were so tired, out of water, and I don't know about Andy but I was wondering a little bit of WTF am I doing this to myself for?
I decided right then and there to sell the Dakar. I'm sure glad I just got something else instead of giving up on the sport altogether.
The Husky is a good 100# lighter than the Dakar and boy does it show in sandy stuff. Little did I know that the nice gravelly sand I'd experienced in Death Valley, Mohave or Pinkham is not really sand!

Next up was another long straight high speed bit, powerline road.

They really put together the brain power to name that one creatively eh? Well, it is exactly what they say it is:wink

My repacking job earns me a big fat FAIL!

I took this as a sign from god that it was time to start drinking... At 9:30 AM... on a weekday

Hey, if you wanna drink all day long you gotta start in the morning!

Saw this on the can and I thought thought "fucking A" man, I made it through Pinkham, it's a beautiful day, life is good.

I thought of this...

Got a little full of myself actually, until I saw this:

twenty eight piddly little miles!? "Man up" ha! what a pussy! Feeling all smug about 28 miles of mostly easy dirt.

To add insult to injury this little bastard was manning up too! Stealing his beer like a real 1%er!

Powerline road goes a long way and I was blasting along pretty good so I missed the turn for Red Canyon trail.

parralleling the 10 I was making pretty good time... Funny how one minute you're excited about making good time, then you break down in BFE and start wondering how long it will take to walk 15 miles...
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #17
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Yes, yes...and then?
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,236
Something fall off the bike?
Old 11-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #19
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Red Canyon started to get interesting

I was busy sightseeing and wasn't paying attention.

This is where I made my big mistake. Actually my first mistake was not buying enough beer @ Wal-Mart... So this is my Second Mistake, the one that really bit me in the ass l8r. I noticed that I forgot to tighten up the axle adjusters when I mounted the tire. I figured the axle was tight and it had held up fine so far so I decided to fix it "later" when I got to a gas station or something.

The bees were going berzerk over the bush I almost hit

My pace was suffering because I kept stopping for pics.

Red Canyon is very GS'able there's a couple small sandy bits but most of it is like this

The sandy parts were mercifully short

The actual canyon was closed

Even though you can't get too close it's still VERY pretty.

So I parked the bike and went for a hike to check out the canyon

Sadly these pictures just don't do the place justice. Really subtle hues of green and red. Absolutely stunning.

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 11-09-2009 at 08:33 PM
Old 11-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #20
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff
Yes, yes...and then?
Patience young grass-hoppa! All will be revealed, when you are ready...
Or when I'm good and ready so deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
Something fall off the bike?
Uh, yeah Kinda. It stayed on and i WISH it had come off
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 11-09-2009 at 08:32 PM Reason: dsfsdfsdf
Old 11-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #21
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,229
do i need to pop another bag of orville's?.....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #22
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

When I came to the intersection of Red Canyon and Bradshaw Trail, the GPS said to go left. But off to the right a little bit I could see a sandy wash that went around an interesting looking formation. It was so interesting I decided I had to take a detour and check it out

I stopped for a short break. I am easily amused and I knew that someday the skills I learned when I was five would come into good use.

It's kind of nice having a camera you can just bury in the sand

Just then a couple jets made a low-level combat training run. The sound echoing off the canyon walls was incredible!

My little detour led to a slightly more interesting view calling me towards it like a siren song.

Boy am I glad I followed my gut, easily the coolest place I have ever been on a motorcycle

The path was well travelled, but I was all alone and able to really think clearly in a way that's hard to describe.

I had a little difficulty getting myself out of this hole I dug:

Now I was making terrible time because I was stoping like every 50 feet for a picture. You FF's are very demanding!

Eventually I came to a dead end

the 610's turning radius couldn't cope with the turn around area so I struggled a bit to get pointed the other way
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 04-12-2011 at 10:16 PM
Old 11-09-2009, 11:12 PM   #23
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
how long do we need 2 wait
Old 11-09-2009, 11:49 PM   #24
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Eventually I got straightened out and had a completely different and just as spectacular view going back out.

I went back to the intersection and rejoined my route along Bradshaw Road. The Bradshaw trail has an amazing history as the oldest road in Riverside County Ca. It's county maintained and is a very nice road.

There was a obviously very old railroad paralleling the road that I wanted to check out, but some signs you just obey without question:

Eventually the road crossed the railroad so I got my picture without blowing up, so I got that going for me.

The trail is very straight and very flat so I did a little 80MPH bombing of my own

I was going so fast for so long that my GPS ETA went from 5:30pm to 3pm

I think I may try to explore a bit more on the way back home...

In the middle of nowhere my reserve light came on... I decided that I really ought to know how much range the reserve really is... It dawned on me that maybe I should have known this prior to planning this trip

I passed a couple jeeps, and was really amazed at the difference in courtesy from LA. In LA/Big bear sometimes you come around a corner and face a truck in a four wheel drift coming at you sideways. Here, the jeeps and trucks pull over and stop to let you by. I think it's more than an issue of better visibility.

I passed a canal and the desert ended abruptly and I was suddenly in a farm.

I set the Garmin to route me to the nearest Gas, and quite naturally this is where it took me

There was no going around because there was no bridge across the canal.

The amount of water pulled from the Colorado River is just incomprehensible. It's at least a metric F**k ton. maybe even two!

Here I was faced with a tough dilemma. New Pavement smooth as a baby's bottom, vs. Dirt with a drop off on either side. I opted for the dirt because my tires were aired down.

Some signs are to be blindly obeyed, however figured this one only applied to cars on the pavement, and I considered it sort of a challenge more than a rule. I passed a couple Harleys doing about 85 on the dirt. Priceless!!!

Temp about 75, bike's running flawlessly,

Right after I passed the Harleys I remembered that I was supposed to be taking it easy cus I was out of gas. At which point the bike promptly stuttered and died.

So what's the reserve? about 23 miles

"I missed it by that much!" Coincidentally, just about the same amount of my earlier detour

---------
you guys are gonna have to be patient...

I had a rough day today, and the ride's not over, I'm still in Yuma and my GF is taking my computer with her tomorrow.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 11-09-2009 at 11:55 PM
Old 11-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #25
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
had d same problem on Sunday
Old 11-10-2009, 12:00 AM   #26
kkug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
Where was the closed 76 ?

F800GS
KTM 450 MXC

"Never let the Situation affect you Emotionally. If you do it will have an adverse affect on your ability to make the correct decisions.
kkug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:18 AM   #27
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkug
Where was the closed 76 ?
got ahead of myself a bit, it is coming in the next installment. It was in blythe.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 11-10-2009, 12:46 AM   #28
Matthendurocat
sleeps on ground by bike

Oddometer: 122
Thumb Good report

Looks like a good trip. May the force be with you. -Matt
Old 11-10-2009, 02:59 AM   #29
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

All things considered, not a terrible place to run out of gas...
Next to a canal

There was a pretty Lemon orchard across the way...

Finally that extra 8 pounds of weight I've been carrying came in useful and I put in my reserva espesial de gasolina and I was on my way again.

So I roll into the station, and my mind is just working in slow motion. The dirt portion of my trip was over and my thoughts started to drift back to real life. I looked at the trash can and thought "boy they sure don't keep this place very tidy", then I got off the bike took off my helmet and tried several times to swipe my card. Nothing, Nada, so I looked a bit closer and noticed there were no nozzles on the pumps At which point I figured out that the station was closed and had been for some time.

Sometimes you just gotta love technology, The nearest gas is actually the farthest station, and it's closed. So I backtracked to Chevron, (which I hate because the fuckers jacked my rate to 26.99 mother fucking loan sharking percent even though I pay off the card every month... but I digress)

So, remember when I was gonna fix the axle adjusters when I got to a station? yeah well I was thinking of other things and I forgot.

My plan at this point was to take the 78 straight into Yuma, but it was only like 1pm and I was only an hour away. Since I had plenty of time instead of taking the gps route I went straight down another of the canal roads. hoping I could find a small bridge to cross the Colorado into Arizona.

After a couple miles though this canal got progressively smaller, but it looked like the road continued on so I pressed on. I knew immediately that this was a mistake because it was clear that there wasn't really a road anymore. It got very sandy.

In this Google Earth photo you can get the general idea. To the right is the Colorado and the Arizona/California Border.

I couldn't find a place to turn around, so I kept going downslope a bit until I really ran out of road and I had to try and turn around at which point I got stuck.

I was still able to get some movement so I tried really working the bike, and I got REALLY stuck.

(from this point on my new Camera died cuz it was never really charged so I just have iPhone, no-flash pics)

That's when I made my really big error. Instead of digging out the bike, I tried to make it do all of the work. I heard a pop and again I knew instinctively what had happened.

Now I'm toast. I'm about 2 miles down a dead end farm road, 15 miles from town, with a broken chain and no spare or tool to fix it.

Fortunately I have a chain at home for my old bike, and Ruth was driving to Yuma separately. So I tried to call her and... no signal.

SO I hiked back up the sandy hill and still nothing. FawwwK!

I considered two options
1) Throwing my iPhone into the canal
2) Maybe just restarting it will do something.

So I turned it off & back on and magically I had a good signal so I called Ruth.

Now what I haven't told you so far is that the reason we're driving seperately is because we were in a big fight. The day before she wanted me to help her with her car. I felt like she just didn't want to deal with it and wanted me to do it for her (which is true) so I sort of pitched a fit about her wasting my time making me sit and wait for the mechanic for two hours instead of the two of us just dropping it off like I wanted but she refused saying she was too busy.

Whatever... SO anyway She's already left home and is cruising down the 405 planning to take the 8, so she has go to a store to buy me a $170 chain and tool & she has to divert 200 miles out of her way. Suffice it to say she is not happy.

So with my immediate problem 'fixed' I went back to see about getting the bike extracted.

First I unloaded the luggage.

I found somebody's leftover 'target'

and I made a sand extraction tool

I was able to dig the bike out pretty easily and drag it out from the hole facing the right way. I picked up the bike and found a rock to hold the kickstand

The light was fading fast so I got into my camping gear and got out my headlamp and that's when I discovered my next major problem...

It's hard to see in this photo, but I'd cracked the castings on the top and bottom which held the chain guard,

and more importantly I had punched the case below the clutch!

It didn't look like it had lost much oil, so I cleaned the area as best as I could with Gas, and patched the hole with quicksteel epoxy.

I tried pushing the bike up the hill, but that just wasn't happening. SO Since I had nothing better to do I decided to see if I could McGyver something. This would be good practice if I were REALLY stranded in the boonies somewhere.

First I tried using my tiny vise grips to bend the chain back into shape but that wasn't really working so eventually I resorted to hitting it with one big rock against another. I got it reasonably close

Then I tied it all together with a massive amount of bailing wire.

On my first attempt the bike moved about 6 inches and made a clunk. I thought sure my repair had failed, but it turns out the chain had jumped the sprocket which is when I remembered the loose tensioners. When I was abusing the bike in the sand the axle had moved, and the sprocket was not straight. Failure was inevitable.

SO straightened it out properly and I was able to walk the bike up to a nice flat open area where I could change the chain when Ruth Arrived.

I humped the luggage up the hill. and waited. As you can see from this GE photo, on one side I had a small Canal and a farm, on the other side an empty patch of dirt.

I scrounged around and gathered up a bunch of sagebrush and started a fire.

Next I kicked back and relaxed, or at least I tried to but I discovered my next major error, I hadn't bought enough beer! I only had a single can of Corona
But that warm can was the best beer I ever had

Nothing to do at that point but to get on ADV and surf.

It was a dark night, and I did start to get increasingly paranoid about the two-legged variety of Coyote. Then I heard a couple HUGE splashes in the 4ft canal next to me. I have to say I was a little freaked out.

Just then I noticed a bit of movement in the corner of my eye in the glow of the campfire, I turned and saw a yellow reptilian eye and thought for sure I was about to be eaten by some feral Python. I about jumped out of my skin!

My new friend didn't talk much, but he was a good listener.
I tried explaining how Ruth rescuing me from dire straights was different than me yelling at her for wasting my time. He didn't think I had many plausible arguments either.

As we became friends my new buddy kept getting closer

Finally he settled in under my boot! And I felt safer knowing he was guarding me against crickets.

A little after this Ruth called and said "I'm here where are you??"
This is when I lernted another very valuable lesson, when you give someone lat and long and they plug them into a Nuvi without Topo, the Nuvi will take them to the nearest road it can. Ruth had been driving for 30 minutes down a dirt road, on the wrong side of the Colorado.

Here's her GPS track ironically she found the bridge and dirt road I was searching for.

Since I knew she was gonna be a while and since she was now in a really foul mood I decided to pack up the bike and try to make it to the asphalt. I used my scooper to bury the fire and set off. Amazingly my mickey mouse engineering held together for the two mile trek and I made it back to Lovekin & 28th. Eventually Ruth arrived with the chain and after about 20 Min of work in the dark we set off down the 78.

But not without one final FU from the Man to put me in my place!

We got to Yuma at about 1:30 AM (there's a +1hr time diff as if that matters.)

Then Back to Reality and today we took Splotch to the Vet for the last time

Splotch Domino Dawg
1995-2009

You're a good boy Splotch!

This report's not over yet. I'm still in Yuma, and kind of distressed. I'm bummed about my bike and I'm obviously really bummed about my dog. I have NO money in my bank account but I do have camping gear, time and a gas card. I may go to the Grand Canyon, which I've never seen, or I may go to Mexico. Or I may just head off into the desert and see where I wind up. I'll try to update from the road with my iPhone, I'll know where I'm going when I get there.

----------------------------------------------------------
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 11-10-2009 at 03:10 AM
Old 11-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #30
Bonay
getlost

Oddometer: 28